Action for Happiness - Self Care September 2019

A couple of days late, but this month’s Action for Happiness is Self Care September. And this month it’s all about the magic that is acceptance.

“No-one’s perfect. But so often we compare our insides to other people’s outsides. Dwelling on our flaws - what we’re not rather than what we’ve got - makes it much harder to be happy. Learning to accept ourselves, warts and all, and being kinder to ourselves when things go wrong, increases our enjoyment of life, our resilience and our well-being. It also helps us accept others as they are.”

Join in every day or dip in as and when you want!

13 Likes

DAY 3

Free up time in your diary by cancelling any unnecessary plans.

This is a good one for me. I am really working on ideas about my ego at the moment as I get ready to leave my job. I need to hand things over and let go of the urge to be involved in everything. Focus on getting things tidied up for whoever comes after me and not worrying about what they might think of the work I’ve done.

3 Likes

Changing jobs. Still working in the same field (fundraising) but with a different charity and a more senior position :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes to a human being not a human doing! I also find this hard. I (most of us?) get so much of my identity and validity from my actions and the way I interact with others. I think being aware of that, as well as being aware of how hard a habit it is to break, is a pretty good first step.

Did you find an online meeting?

1 Like

DAY 4

Forgive yourself when things go wrong. We all make mistakes.

6 Likes

I don’t know how to do this yet. I like the idea, but have no idea how to internalize it

2 Likes

My thoughts on this:

First, I think it’s important to work out if there’s anything that can be done to right the mistake. If so, do that! Then with whatever is left…

I think it’s a bit about ego. Why should I expect to be able to do things that I would never expect of others? Would I tell a friend it doesn’t matter, and not to worry etc or would I be horrible to them? I would probably be nice and say it doesn’t matter, life will go on.

I also try and think about how important this will be next week, next month, next year. This does require a bit of distance between you and your emotions. So it might be after a bit of a cry or a freak out, when there’s been time to take some breaths and be back here now.

2 Likes

I like this!! I Need to learn to do it

2 Likes

It is very occasionally like that! But not often. There is a lot of writing plans and proposals and doing presentations. I’m going back into the health sector so it will be more emotional but more personal too, I’m looking forward to that!

1 Like

DAY 5

Notice what you are feeling today, without any judgement.

3 Likes

I thought I replied to this :thinking:

I think the hard thing is to notice how I’m feeling without judgement - if I’m sad I’m ungrateful, if I’m happy I’m wondering how long it will last. Human being not doing!

2 Likes

Where did day 6 go?! Haha I slept in yesterday and then working from home, dinner and bed. Remembering that it’s ok not to be ok is good for every day though. So straight to…

DAY 7

Plan a fun or relaxing activity this weekend and make some time for it.

I’m actually going on a walk with my mum tomorrow where we will hopefully see some seals! I really need to do a long walk today but I am first going to sit in my garden, read a book and do some chicken watching :chicken::face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

I am hoping to go for a hike with a new friend this afternoon, although the weather is a little iffy. Maybe we will have tea instead as a backup. Otherwise, I am happy to not be packing too much activity into today. It felt like the week was busy and I need some down time.

1 Like

DAY 8

Remind yourself that you are loved and worthy of love.

2 Likes

DAY 9

Avoid saying ‘I ought to’ or ‘I should’ to myself.

Yes! I either will, or I won’t. I am, or I’m not. It will happen, or it won’t. Feel like I am moving to this place with my handover at work which is good because I’ve been having quite a few anxiety dreams and it would be nice to have less of them!

4 Likes

DAY 10

Give yourself permission to say no to requests from others.

2 Likes

After a short break…

DAY 15

Make time today to do something you really enjoy.

I’m having a lie in for starters, just gone 11am and still in bed :see_no_evil:

I’m going for a hike this morning

1 Like

DAY 16

Notice the things you do well today, however small.

I had an ok day at work today. I am good on the phone and happy with how I handled some enquiries. Got a report done that my boss dumped on me. And pulled a budget together which no one asked me to do, but I know it’ll be useful for my replacement. Have made a start on my handover notes and feeling like I might just pull it all together by Thursday (my last day).

3 Likes

Hope you get the health insurance side of things sorted soon!

1 Like