Addiction transfered to sugar

Man I’m doing very good I’m about to hit 6 months no alcohol I really didn’t think I was ever going to see this and I’m very excited about it. I’m to a point where I have no cravings at all for alcohol I never thought I’d see that day either but truthfully I absolutely don’t miss it at all coming from a daily drinker to not even thinking about alcohol is an absolute miracle to me. However I have noticed that I ended up getting a massive Sweet tooth when I never had one before I am sure that I absolutely became addicted to sugar so now I get to start this journey to quit sugar because yeah I can see it written on the wall. I’m 284 lb I’m actually 10 lb less than I was when I quit drinking but I really need to get to a healthy weight so I can live long enough to raise my children so sugar has to go I’ve tried sugar-free sweeteners like Splenda stevia and those are just absolute triggers for me. Sugar is just going to have to be removed from my life for the rest of my life just like alcohol they’re like two in the same. Has anybody else experienced this

8 Likes

Congratulations on your almost 6 months!! :partying_face: That’s huge for sure. The transference from alcohol to sugar is a real thing. I find I’m craving sweets bigtime. There are a couple weight loss accountability posts on here that would probably be of great benefit for you. Here’s one:

1 Like

Absolutely. I never drank soda all that much until I quit drinking. I think for me the caffeine and carbonation sustains me. Have you tried sparkling water?

1 Like

Good for you for taking on the challenge and Congrats on 6 months!

I was just like you and never had a sweet tooth until I quit drinking. I kept saying I was going to do something about it but kept procrastinating just like I did with drinking and drugging. Thankfully, it faded away at about a year into sobriety.

Eric started a great thread for no sugar.

2 Likes

Yes, I went sugar crazy after getting sober. I have a sweet tooth no lie and it got way worse. So I took out all added sugar and sugars…tho I do use sugar alcohols to bake with…they do not spike glucose, so that works well for me and I still get the sweet taste in my baking. Reading labels is very helpful when you are cutting down or out added sugar. As is getting natural sugar in fruit. Slow and steady!! Walks are helpful too…walking is good for everything!:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes