Advice for the Newcomer and Constant Relapser

11 Likes

Reposting this thread because I’m seeing a lot of relapsing and newbies.

12 Likes

b

Always believe in a new chance​:four_leaf_clover::sunny:️:sparkles:

22 Likes

11 Likes

13 Likes
4 Likes

Sobriety Journaling

http://alcoholrehab.com/addiction-recovery/journaling-in-recovery/

3 Likes

6 Likes

A few key pieces of advice I’ve learned personally:

*It’s the quality of your sobriety each day, not the quantity of mediocre days.
*The amount of effort you put in to your recovery is exactly what you’ll get back.
*Nothing changes if nothing changes. Going back to old habits, people, places, and thought patterns expecting it to be different is a form of insanity. You have to be willing to let go of what no longer serves your well-being.
*“This too shall pass” is my favorite motto. It reminds me that whatever I’m feeling or going through won’t last. Just walk through it.
*We aren’t promised rainbows and unicorns in sobriety. There will be difficult days; that is part of life. We learn more during difficult times if we keep our eyes open and see it for what we are being taught.
*There is no magic bullet to get sober. There is no easy, softer way. It takes effort, educating yourself, reaching out for help BEFORE you drink/use, and be willing to create a recovery catered to you.
*You are not special, unique, or different when it comes to alcoholism and addiction. Look for the similarities, not the differences in other people walking this journey and you’ll gain incredible support and genuine friendship.
*Wanna get out of your own head? Help someone.
*What’s the difference between a miserable person abstaining and a happy person in sobriety? Attitude and perception.
*Yes, you may relapse before you finally “get it”. The key is to learn what not to do again and what to do instead. Don’t stay in your pity party. Get back up and keep moving.
*There’s ton of support in the sober community. Be open to it. Pay it forward by being someone else’s cheerleader.
*Never give up.

30 Likes

Wonderful info, inspiration and guidance here @Melrm. Thanks so much. Got lots to bookmark. :heart:

What really resonates for me today …We each follow our own path to sobriety …it’s like running a race…you are surrounded by others doing same thing, struggling right along with you, and people in the race and on the sidelines are encouraging you, pulling for you, but every step is yours to make.

:tada::tada:

9 Likes

Wow I like this one we have the choice to dwell or accept. Simple but not easy

2 Likes

Thank you for this! I’m on day 4 of opiate withdrawal and I feel like my insides are exploding! Reading this helps remind me that this shall pass.

4 Likes

I LOVE this analogy! I think that’s why I was always so drawn to running races. Those medals represent accomplishments that no one helped me with and no one could ever take from me. I’m definitely seeing the similarities in sobriety!

2 Likes

So much to love in this thread!

1 Like

Thank you for all the great advice and inspiration!

2 Likes

10 Likes

10 Likes

With 1 year sober today the best advice I have is be patent ask for help this is hard wprk and can’t be don alone!..

1. TALK AND PRAY ABOUT IT WITH YOUR!
    Higher Power
    Friends
    Family
    Counselor
    Pastors

2. ASK FOR HELP BEFORE YOU RELAPSE

4 Likes

Not sure if it was mentioned but my first rule is a vow to never experiment with DOC in any way including moderation. That’s the number one reason people typically relapse. Quit and mean it, if there is any pang of doubt the odds of relapse are much higher. Instead of fret look forward to a life of freedom!

5 Likes

@Leigh, what is DOC?