Afraid to start

Hi Everyone

I am afraid to quit

I am 39, male and i am gonna start by saying that i have been smoking for like 10 years already every day, I have taken little brakes, but I have been wanting to quit because I have noticed my health declining, my back hurts, it keeps me in a depression loop, I dont go out, I dont go to the gym, I dont do other thing but smoke and do some studying. I really want to stop smoking but I know it is gonna be really hard, mostly at nights, I am afraid I am not gonna be able to sleep, I know my mood will be shitty. I am about to be a dad to a boy and I want to be healthy to give him the best life as long as I am here in this world. And honestly i have tried to quit before with no success, i am in therapy and everything but i havent had success. I feel like it is controlling me, I am afraid for my lungs, my memory and my mental health.

This is hard! :melting_face::expressionless:

Summary

This text will be hidden

11 Likes

Do you want to be remembered for who you are capable of being as a person or do you want to be defined by your use of marijuana? Think about it on that level…

5 Likes

Welcome to TS! Sounds like ur ready to make some changes! Thats a great first step! I had fear initally over quitting my DOC also. Like urself i used for a very long time. It became very imbedded in my way of life. But drugs literally served no purpose for me. It created alot of pain and hurt and destruction instead (sounds like ur DOC is causing this for u too). Any thoughts that drugs actually did something for me, was a lie that my addictive mind told me. Stick around and really take the suggestions that are mentioned on here. Everyone here has been crucial for my recovery and has helped me get to where i am today.

5 Likes

Welcome!

That resonates. I will have 5 years sober on the 23rd…and I still remember the fear i had of quitting. A lot of people felt that way…

You have the chance to re learn how to live, and while that might induce some fear…it allows you to live a lot better life.

Be active here and you will read a bunch of stories about how much better life gets.

7 Likes

Good morning Reyes,

How was your night?

You are in the right place at the right time. Of course you think it’s hard because you still think you have benefits in smoking pot such as pain relief and better sleep.

But tell me. Is it really true? What does weed actually do to you?

Are there other things you could do to help with the pain and sleep? What are those?

I have a little journal I use. I write down all the benefits I think I get from alcohol and drugs…. And on the opposite page I write the truth or counter argument. It’s not bullet proof but it helps reframe the actual situation.

Like someone said, if there are no benefits to doing something, there are no cravings :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Easier said than done :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Remember you are not alone :pray:t3::kissing_heart:

4 Likes

Earlier this week I had excruciating back pain. It literally woke me up. If you research it, you will find taking the maximum dosage of ibuprofen and alternate with the maximum dosage of acetaminophen every 4 hours, that will relieve back ache or tooth ache. This worked for me and my back pain actually subsided. I hope this helps you. Back pain sucks!

4 Likes

Hey @Reyes84! I’m in a very similar situation to you and relate to that fear.

I am 8 days in and I won’t lie to you, your nights will suck initially. I still have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep, and I’m very irritable. While those aspects are hard, the benefits have already outweighed those temporary inconveniences.

I’m already starting to get a clearer head and it’s honestly exciting for the potential I can unlock! I have actually been motivated to work out and fill my time with productive endeavors. Admittedly, it is because I’m bored and would normally be smoking… Which would lead to me doing nothing. I was a muted version of myself. Smoking was literally running my life.

So to be honest, I’m embracing how bad the withdrawals have been because I need it as a reminder as to why I can never smoke again. If I have to smoke so much that I’m sick anytime I come off of it, then it’s not worth it.

Here is my story if you’d like to take a read.

5 Likes

This is true. I didn’t know that I was on both of those at the hospital after surgery this week, until I was discharged and they told me what to take and when. I literally googled it myself, (:rofl: not saying the hospital didn’t know what they were doing, but I had never heard of taking both at the same time alternating them) because I thought that was way too much to be taking. Apparently it is safe and together it is amazing for pain relief. I wish I had known this sooner.

1 Like

Easier said than done, but u’re right. I am starting my journey.

Thanks for the kind words, im about to start this journey, and I know is not going to be easy, but I need to confront those emotions and feelings that I have been avoiding.

2 Likes

Congrats! 5 years! Wow, hope one day I can say the same!

Dont even think about it, just worry about today…and one day you wake up you have hit the next milestone…

3 Likes

Will give it a try, thanks for the advice!

Hi, Just checkin in

Hello everyone, im just checking in; im on my third day without smoking, it has being very difficult, I barely slept tonight. The anxiety is through the roof, I am having cramps all over my body, cold sweating all the time, my hands are wrinkly from sweat :sweat_smile:
Head hurts, and depression is kicking in. Thank you all for your time on even responding to the post. I know i can do this!
Hope everyone is doing alright :+1:t5:

1 Like

Thank you for sharing, i hope you are doing well and I hope honestly your journey gets easier over time. Im on my third day and it suuuuucks! But i cant wait to be on the other side

1 Like

Thank you @Thomasz for your kind words, it has been hell but resisting. Thank you for sharing I will be trying the journal technique. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Good job on 3 days! I’m on my 4th. It’s been rough for sure. The money tracker on the the sober time page has really helped. I had to set a couple of goals to keep myself motivated too. My goals are to pay off debt and a a vacation with my son. Maybe that could help you stay on track. Since you have a baby otw maybe use the money you would spend to set up a savings for him. It’s just an idea. Anyway thanks for sharing. We can all get through this together!

Thats what i was planning on doing with the money, I already put what I would’ve spent on weed apart for him. It is hard but we can do it! Congrats on your 4th day, lets keep going!
Thanks for sharing!

1 Like