Again, and again

I keep restarting after going up to a week without drinking. Am so upset with myself. I am determined this time to be stronger.

I drink because of my anxiety. Lost my job. Don’t have any friends here. I feel lonely and insecure which triggers me.

Is there somebody I can contact daily for accountability? 6 more hours and will finish Day 1. Thanks.

7 Likes

I hope you made it! Post on the “checking in daily” thread to hold yourself accountable.

3 Likes

Checking in daily thread is for just that. Are you doing anything else for your sobriety?

3 Likes

I’m the same way, Joy. Alcohol made my anxiety unbearable, and the only times I’ve ever thought of suicide were while I was drinking. Thank you for reminding me of this. Alcohol cost me my job, but it’s a small price to pay as it’s easier for me to be sober without that stress.

3 Likes

You should join us on the daily check in thread. It’s a great form of accountability and you get to know members on the forum. Here’s the link:

7 Likes

Did you finish day 1? Remaining active on the topic you started is a good way to stay accountable.

4 Likes

My anxiety went down. Didnt seem like it at first. However, I had to stop drinking. As time goes on, that gets manageable, easier, and in the end so worth it.

This place helped a lot. For me, I needed something more. I had to find a program of recovery, something to augment this wonderful place. Might be worth looking into

4 Likes

Great point. I was on here all the time in the beginning.

1 Like

Yes. I did finish day one. On day 2 now. Thanks.

5 Likes

You drink bc your an alcoholic, I meet people in life who have been through a lot more than I’ve had to deal with and they don’t have the need to run and hide behind drugs and alcohol. It’s not our fault we’re just born that way, we’re mentally ill and spiritually sick. But the good news is we can change, takes a little time and effort but we can do it with the help of others.

3 Likes

Very very true.

My best mate died, I drank and drank.
I drank because I’m an alcoholic.

2 Likes

I’m back after I got hammered the night before last and didn’t behave well at all. I’ve been on here before and it helps… day to day is the key, staying ahead of it… I hope I can this time too…

I get it. I’ve been in that spin cycle for 9 months. The longest I manage is 2 weeks and then it seems to fall apart. For me it’s become a health crisis. I actually think alcohol causes me anxiety rather then eases it. Yet I can’t get any mental health care professionals to call me back! I’d prefer to see someone in person but it appears that isn’t even available right now. On day 3 again.

1 Like

Welcome! It caused me so much anxiety. This is a wonderful place. Read as much as you can and be active. It helped me string 89 days together. At day 90 I knew this wasn’t going to be enough, so I started a recovery program.

I too keep restarting. I’m on day 1 again and just really find it hard. It just seems the alcohol is everywhere. I need to a grip and keep remembering why I need to quit. :pensive:

I believe we have all had trauma in our lives and don’t know how to deal with it, so we drink to escape ( or do drugs)

1 Like