Alcohol free beer - yes or no?

Not good. There is alcohol in it. Who knows if it is enough to trigger you. I wouldn’t want to risk finding out!

No, definitely not. My golden rule is: if I have to question if it will put my sobriety at risk, it’s an automatic no. Period.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

3 Likes

LOL…did you drink a lot of horse urine for comparison?

(I am just kidding. It isn’t my intention to sound like a snarky b!tch. I used to have the same question for people who told me that rice cakes taste like styrofoam)

1 Like

What non alcoholic wine do you refer to?

Wait? Packing peanuts with a little sriracha are quite the delicacy!

1 Like

This is a great question and a lot of people will have different answers. Ultimately it is up to you.

For me, I’d rather drink sparkling fruit juice or kombucha. (Kombucha is also another drink that some people disagree with!)

1 Like

I like the Sainsbury red one, the white is ok but sweet. They do a good low alcohol beer too.

1 Like

Thanks, never heard of it in the States. I miss Chardonnay, but I love sobriety more :wink:

2 Likes

Personally, not that my opinion is worth anything, but I like the NA beers, and I find that if you buy good ones, the taste is very much like any other beer.
Here in Europe (and while I was in Japan), I found some excellent-tasting NA beers, and the ones in Japan (and one of the ones that I’ve found here in CH) weren’t low-alcohol beers, but rather NO alcohol as clearly indicated in bold lettering right on the can. It’s pretty clear when it says 0.0% alcohol, I think.
Anyway, I like having one with my lunch, but most evenings, it’s herbal tea or water with lemon, or some soft drinks, I suppose.
I’m not familiar with your NA wines in the UK, so I can’t venture an opinion.
In short, as others have said, I think that people should do what works for them… I’m on 107 days, and I like my NA beer…

3 Likes

Which NA beers do you like? :slight_smile:

We have a couple that I’ve found (so far) here in Switzerland…
Feldschlossen (easier to find in restaurants, etc.) is a 0.5% max. beer, whereas Farmer is alcohol-free.
While in Japan, almost all of the breweries have a NA product, and they were all good.
In Canada, I seem to recall that the Grolsch ones were good too, and there are a couple of other ones, though the names escape me.

It’s a hard no for me. I have to stay away from anything even remotely similar to alcohol, even grapejuice could be a massive trigger for me.

That being said, if it works for you, why not. We all have our own battle to fight and whatever’s a big nono for me might work for the next person :blush:

3 Likes

It is actually hard to find good NA beers :slight_smile:

I say not a good idea. I am even struggling with the idea of Kombucha. A tea I have been wanting to try but has traces of alcohol. Iike .0005 it’s a personal choice though. If you are questioning it there is a reason you asked for suggestions. If you are struggling over it say no. If you are comfortable with your choice of yes then go ahead. If it may trigger you to go to regular beer or you begin to romanticize then stop. If you just fulfill a oral fixation and you feel fine after 1 then ok. It’s up to you. Try it and be aware. If you you don’t like it and it triggers you then stop. Always go with your gut.

I have tried a couple of non alcoholic beers and I must say, so far they have helped the craving subside. Also a nice alternative when I do hang with friends who like a drink or three

I used to live with a married couple that tried to quit drinking with this approach. Epic fail. The flavor without the buzz only frustrated them, so they went out and got real beer. I never tried this experiment because I knew how it would end.

Man there’s no way I could even try NA beer. I’d just go out and buy real beer. My go to is Dr Pepper and grenadine with cherries. It’s a fun drink for me to have when everyone else has their booze.

2 Likes

I couldn’t… It would just remind me of what I was missing out on (not getting the buzz), and in turn, frustrate the crap out of me. If I don’t drink something that reminds me of alcohol, then I don’t even think about it… Gotta do whatever works for you though…

I went out the other night and I was feeling left out. I reminded myself I was not doing anything for affect, but I was at a show where everyone was drinking. I asked for a N/A beer and I drank it with no problem. I also felt no need to have more. I guess it depends on where your head is with it and where you are in sobriety.

3 Likes

I tried that early in my sobriety and in some social situations but hated the taste. There was no motivation to drink something skunky that wouldn’t get me drunk. I usually drink soda water with lime now.

2 Likes