Alcohol free beer - yes or no?

There is a non-alcoholic wine brand here in the states called “Fre”. They make all different types, including a Chardonnay. I’ve liked the Moscato, Riesling, Pinot grigio, and white zin. They are better than non-alcoholic beers as far as taste. But they are sweet. Kind of like slightly carbonated grape juice, although thinner.

1 Like

Thanks, I bought a bottle of their Merlot. I was a beer drinker so I prefer the NA. Almost completely just drinking seltzer water now. Day 48! :grin:

Congrats on day 48!

1 Like

Partly based on some of the views expressed here, I have decided to “save” the NA beers for times when I go out to restaurants or things like that.
In other words, I’m basically giving up on them as well, since I don’t like going to restaurants by myself, particularly, and I certainly (and not surprisingly) don’t have anyone else with whom to go.

1 Like

I actually enjoy non-alcoholic beer. There are some tasty ones out there! I only drink no more than 3 but I like the taste! When I was drinking I didn’t drink for the taste…I drank for the next drink! To each is own…works for me. Everyone is different.

For me I won’t touch it. What will it do to me? I have no idea. But that is a lifestyle, drinking, that has brought me to my knees. I wont romance it by drinking a non alcoholic beer. All of our paths are different tho.

1 Like

I enjoyed it, especially since I like the taste of beer itself and never really drank hard alcohol. But just like alcoholic beer, It left me bloated as a fish if I drank too much which was unappealing to sober me. I also only touched it when I felt left out in social situations but now I am content with just a club soda with lime when I go out.
Everyone assumes its vodka.
Anyway, I guess if you feel like it’s triggering then definitely stay away, but for me it was a quick social bandaid in times of cravings.

Slippery slope… Not a good idea, ur mind will tell u hey that’s not so bad… I can handle the real stuff and then there u go down the rabbit hole… Stay away from it and kambubcha tea that shit is no good too… Real soberity… means no substitutes… Don’t risk what you’ve worked so hard for

1 Like

I also enjoy the taste of Becks which is 0.05% alcohol. The Erdringer at 0.5% is a higher so do the Becks or Castle Free rather.

Yep. Club soda with lime is my go-to. Has a bit of bite that stimulates the taste buds.

1 Like

I am recently going non-alcoholic. I definitely developed a dependency for alcohol, but I don’t think I have alcoholism. I’ve appreciated having N/A beer and mocktails as options when going out with my wife. We even went to a brewery to see a live show and I had a N/A beer. One is plenty as they aren’t exactly delicious. I can understand why someone in recovery would want to avoid these things as it might be triggering, but for me, it’s nice.

1 Like

An old timer at a meeting once told me non alcoholic beer is for n0n alcoholics

1 Like

I saw myself drinking every day. Anywhere from 2+ drinks. It wasn’t “if” I was going to drink, it was a given, like brushing my teeth. I also had a long record of instances when I had abused alcohol either for “fun” or as a maladaptive coping strategy. I’ve never had a clinical addiction, or experienced withdrawal symptoms. After 20 years and relationship problems, I’m ready to change and possibly end my relationship with alcohol. I’ve successfully abstained for 20 days. That’s longer than I have since I started.

I don’t think so. I think alcoholism is a chemical addiction, where habitual abuse can lead to alcoholism, I don’t believe I was at that point. I didn’t drink throughout the day or while working. I didn’t get black out drunk. I believe it’s a serious disease that can require clinical rehabilitation. I’ve, fortunately, not come to that level of dependency and addiction. I’m working on building healthy adaptive habits into my life to prevent that.

Thanks. I appreciate it. Good luck on your life journey, too.