Alcohol free beer - yes or no?

Is drinking alcohol free beer a good thing or bad thing when trying to stay completely sober in your opinion?

2 Likes

Not a good idea. Since it contains as little alcohol as possible. You could be hooked after drinking. Depend on your situation obv.

1 Like

No itā€™s not a good thing

3 Likes

Interesting! I was considering trying alcohol free beer while I am off the hooch and getting the cravings. I actually expected more fors than against :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am actually a big fan of it and will have a alcohol-free wine or beer on a weekend when my partner or friends are drinking alcohol. I find one glass or bottle is enough to satiate the cravings. Iā€™ve noticed someone has said they contain alcohol so you may get hooked when in fact the amount of alcohol they contain is the same that is in orange juice naturally. I find do what works for you Iā€™m on day 66 and the non-alcoholic beer or wine I have occasionally on a weekend is helping with my sobriety

15 Likes

What if Iā€™m alcohol dependent?
Some people are dependent on alcohol. This means that drinking alcohol becomes an important, or sometimes the most important, factor in their life and they feel theyā€™re unable to function without it.

Because non-alcoholic or ā€˜alcohol-freeā€™ beer contains some alcohol it might cause problems for someone with a dependency. It could trigger behaviour that makes them want to drink more alcohol or relapse from a recovery.

If youā€™re alcohol dependent or in recovery from alcoholism Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) recommended that you do not drink no-alcohol or low alcohol drinks as an alternative.

4 Likes

Im considering this option as well. I think it will help me still be a part of the crowd without bringing too much attention to myself. I donā€™t want to have to explain why Iā€™m not drinking. Itā€™s really not anyoneā€™s business. I have tried non-alcoholic wine in the past. Itā€™s not great but it was something to hold in my hand while everybody else was having wine. As far as getting addicted to it, I donā€™t think that will be an issue for me. It really doesnā€™t taste good. LOL

For me? No. I wish I could credit the forum user who dropped this awesome bit of wisdom, but it stuck with me:

ā€œNonalcoholic beers and wines are for non-alcoholics, not for alcholics.ā€

Makes perfect sense to me.

12 Likes

It depends on what your trigger is. If the taste of beer would trigger you to drink more then donā€™t do it. Itā€™s a slippery slope to moving on to the real thing. For me the trigger is chasing the buzz so as long as I donā€™t get buzzed Iā€™m good, NA wine is no different than tea or pop for me.

1 Like

Iā€™ve personally been sober for a year and a half now and about a year into it I found it harder and harder to be around people who drink without wanting a drink myself. Iā€™m not in AA or any recovery group so Iā€™m not sure on how that works with them but Iā€™ve personally found having a NA beer to be very helpful. I can have that social feeling of having a beer with friends without the consequences. It really depends on how strong you are. If you think it will lead to having just one real beer please avoid NA. Everyday you are sober is another day you are being a better person for yourself. Stay strong. Much love sent to you on your journey.

9 Likes

When I quit the first time I drank nonalcoholic beer. In my head I thought of it like diet pop. Some of the taste without the bang. This time around I traded it for ginger ale. It is up to u but after a couple na beers it got worse tasting and the calories werenā€™t worth it. That is my take.

2 Likes

That is true. NA beers and wines do NOT taste great. Iā€™ve gotten used to the wines but I know they donā€™t taste like the real stuff. One almost tastes like Welches. LOL

1 Like

Lol it probably is with a bigger price tag.

Difficult question. I can only speak for me and Iā€™m okay with NA beer. We have 2 brands that make beer with exactly 0,0% alcohol, and I like the taste. But true, it could trigger you. If you are not sure with it then better donā€™t drink it :wink:

1 Like

I quit drinking real beer 29 days ago. I simply replaced it with N/A. It tastes the same (enough) and satisfies the psychologic aspect. I drink a couple after work and I canā€™t imagine having quit without this alternative. This is my experience. 29 DAYS yā€™all!!! Good luck!

9 Likes

Just try it, thatā€™s the only way you will know if itā€™s for you. The only NA beer Iā€™ve seen in my town is made by Busch, so F that, I ainā€™t drinking piss if thereā€™s no buzz. I did have a bourbon flavored cola once, it didnā€™t leave me craving anything, but everyone will react differently.

2 Likes

Non-alcoholic beverages are for non-alcoholics.

YouTube/google search:

Joe Charlie AA Allergy

Its free and they do a great job of explaining the Alcoholic Allergy Trigger.

3 Likes

I have never had a non-alcoholic ā€œalcoholicā€ beverage that didnā€™t taste like horse urine. So there is that. (Come to think about it, most alcoholic beverages tasted like horse urine or death, but anyways). In my head for me, it is about trying to cling to a life that I said I no longer wanted.

You know, kind of like when you turn down the lights, pull out the picture albums, and then break out the Ryan Adams vinyl albums while reminiscing about an old ex-girlfriend that life took from you?

That life is gone and to me, I canā€™t be one foot in the past and move forward. I need to be in the now.

5 Likes

I would say a bad thing but thats just me

Well said @DowntroddenGoat! Iā€™ve not tried NA beer or wine. I was a wine person. I never really did the bar thing so I donā€™t have that trigger. But even if it tastes like piss, Iā€™m pretty sure I shouldnā€™t even try it. Bad karma for me.