Alcohol in the house

Sober 11 days. My GF brought home a bottle the other day. I didn’t drink but it’s been sitting in my freezer. She knows I’m trying to stay sober, but I don’t think she’s ready yet herself. She was talking about coming home and having a stiff drink after work. She came home and we got some food and watched a movie instead. Idk if she just didn’t want to drink that night or if she was trying to be supportive. On the other hand she went out and got coffee and a bottle of Jameson and asked “hey you want an Irish coffee?” I did say no. I think with me not drinking she’s slowly seeing how serious I am about it. She’s only really drank twice since I’ve stopped, which is a good thing. She did say she wanted to get sober also. I’m not forcing it on her, but the temptation does get a little rough when it’s in the house! I don’t care if she wants to have a few drinks, but like I said it’s tough on my end being put in that situation. Staying strong……thanks for listening!

11 Likes

You could have a chat with her to reinforce your seriousness and also let her know that it causes temptation when she asked so please don’t ask in future. Let her know how thankful you are for her support.

2 Likes

My husband did this exact same thing to me about a week into my sobriety. He had agreed to support me though he doesn’t think we have a problem then a few days later he brought booze home. It made me mad, sad, crazy and tormented all in one fell swoop. I stayed sober out of wicked spite mostly. I was NOT going to be sabotaged and destroy everything I had worked for. You are to be highly commended for saying no and sticking to your sober path. You stay strong and get the better life you deserve :hugs:

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it. This app is great! Really helps when there’s no one around to express a situation too! Thank you!

Yea I felt the same way the first time she ended up getting pretty tipsy! I’ve learned that my sobriety is most important and you can’t force anyone to do the same! I’m trying not to let it get to me, but I’m sure that takes time as well! My confidence is building tho!! Thanks for the input. I appreciate it!

1 Like

Great job on your 11 days Matt. I stopped drinking but my wife wasn’t or still isn’t ready to stop. She drinks a lot around me. I’ve gotten use to it. I don’t always like it. We had a great chat a long time ago about how serious I am about my sobriety and she supports me :100: but she still gonna drink. I just make sure I concentrate on my sobriety. Not her drinking. I read a lot of AlAnon literature. I love the daily Courage To Change reading. There’s a lot of us here who have partners that still drink.
You’re in great company.
I started this thread a while back if you ever want to check it out.

:pray:t2::heart:

1 Like

On a positive note, my husband is getting better. He hasn’t drank in front of me and I haven’t smelled liquor on him in a couple weeks. The booze he brought into the house and thought he hid from me, he gave to my brother. I’m gonna call that progress. If I hadn’t stood firm this progress would have been a regress that neither of us needed.

2 Likes