Alcoholism and Bi-Polar Disorder

I’ve been an alcoholic for a few days. I began my research after abstaining four days in a row and discovered I was on the higher risk on the scale. I had a heated argument with a dear friend and he asked me to leave his house. I was visiting from out of state over the weekend. I’ve been self-medicating for 20 or so years with a nightly does of 6 “drinks” a day. This equates to around 3 pints of double IPA nightly…for over 2 decades. I love that beer. I have a wonderful family with a dear wife of 20 years and three children 5-14 yrs. Beer thirty is when dad winds down with beer and weed. I get testy if I dont watch out. I laughed off my spontaneous decision last week as no big deal. I made the decision without telling anyone. I had no for-thought of my bi-polar triggering. I’ve got
my psychologist appointment next week. Until then, I’m settling into this even time. Nothing making me laugh or reply just kind of feeling remorse for all the years of beer dad. Who am I now? Spiraled hard today and found y’all. For 2 decades I suffered from 3 BMs every morning. I saw doctors. Had a quadruple hemorrhoidectomy last year and tried to correct my diet afterwards. Nothing would stop the diarrhea. But since quitting last week I’ve had normal digestion. Absolutely cured. OMG no amount major depression could make me return to that old routine. I told my wife I would continue to drink socially but not bring it home. I haven’t told her this yet but I’m done drinking for good. Peace!

9 Likes

Good for you Jeremy! It’s nice how the health improves - I understand that too :innocent:

Welcome to Talking Sober! :wave:

1 Like

I appreciate that. Good luck to you friend

2 Likes

Welcome! I hope you stick around… This place has been my saving grace. So many good people here to help you whenever you may need it. Lots of good stuff to read up on! The Checking In Daily thread helped me so much the first year, especially.
I hope you succeed in an alcohol free life, and you will answer your question of “Who am I now?”

Your journey has only just begun, and it’s a good one!!! I promise.

4 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement

1 Like

Welcome! I think you might like this thread: Sober Poops! :poop:

Enjoy sober life and work hard to keep it going!

2 Likes

Yeah alcohol and weed aren’t doing you any good and never were. You are making the right decison.

1 Like

Fellow BiPolar person and now Alcohol Free!

I understand exactly what you’re saying!
Enjoy the new path!

2 Likes

You can do this! You’re already seeing results. One day at a time. I know it’s an old cliche but it helped me. I do go to AA and have found a program for living AND very strong support on this journey.
The book Living Sober is full of practical advice for the newly sober. Again, it’s an old book but has some great tips to keep you alcohol free. Someone on TS might know a newer book and post it here. Anyway, the first thing I did was get rid of all the alcohol in the house.
So take care, welcome to Talking Sober, my friend. :unicorn: :unicorn: :unicorn:

1 Like

I appreciate the encouragement. Thanks for your reply. Good luck to you friend