Sober Poops

It’s past time for a thread dedicated to an issue near and dear to my heart…

Sober Poops

Perhaps more accurately, I’m speaking of the alcohol squirts. Booze can give you the poos, and this becomes especially true for chronic drinking.

In my case, ending as a daily drinker for a few years straight, I recognized IBS-like symptoms at least a year before I quit drinking. When I noticed it was becoming a daily problem, I looked it up and saw plenty of articles explaining how the drinking (and often-correlated horrible diet) bring it on. There was a bottle of anti-diarrheal always at the ready. I didn’t care about myself or my health enough at the time to actually do anything about it.

Let’s focus on the positive though: Sober poops are magical, not discussed often enough, and for me resumed in full about 10-14 days of sobriety. With better diet than I, you may find you enjoy them sooner. One of the many gifts of sobriety. :poop:

47 Likes

I don’t think this is the first topic about poops hahaha.

I always like to talk #2s :rofl::joy:

5 Likes

In my limited experience on TS this topic actually seems to come up a lot…

1 Like

Ha! I had searched weeks ago and couldn’t find a dedicated thread.

Word. Everybody poops!

2 Likes

I’m a keto follower so my poops are almost never solid, nothing really changed for me bowel wise when I got sober.

2 Likes

I’m on the flip, actually needing a bit of fiber in the morning like I used to. The friend who led me to finding TS had his train completely stop for a few days. :open_mouth:

Probably I need to work on getting the carbs back under control…

2 Likes

Well, being a heroin addict I experienced the exact opposite symptoms. If I’m being honest, back when I was using I would only experienced a bowel movement once a week if I was lucky. Today being 10 months sober I’m happy to report I am back on track and having regular poops.
PS: Great Thread

11 Likes

I had a time a couple years back when I didn’t poop, but it wasn’t because of the drinking.

Ive have a few abdominal surgeries for various things, creates a lot of scar tissue. The scar tissue can cause my guts to kink up. That was a rough 3 days in the hospital lol, tube shoved down my nose into my stomach sucking out black muck.

2 Likes

Oh geez. That reminds me of a story from my critical care nurse sister-in-law that… does not bear repeating. So, so glad you’re better, man!

1 Like

Huh. I did not know that was a thing for heroin use. Thanks for sharing that!

Sometimes after a particularly enjoyable poop I look in the toilet smile and give the bowl two thumbs up and a resounding Yes!!

12 Likes

Some friends of mine have a noisy toilet. When you flush it sounds like a Skywalker “Nooooooooo…”

5 Likes

Nothing offensive about talking about poop. If you don’t poop you die and let’s face it, chronic alcohol use can lead to bowel cancer.

6 Likes

:rofl: I want mine to cheer!

In my old house, both fridges would occasionally make sounds like chuckling. Sometimes at the same time, as if they had some appliance inside joke about humans. Does that count?

Programmable toilet audio. Starts Final Countdown or Eye of the Tiger when the seat senses pressure, then at flush, “Weeeee are the champions…”

3 Likes

Just spent a week hospitalized following colonoscopy and polypectomy. Loving all my sober poops.

2 Likes

Lucky you went! I have to go sometime this winter and I’m not looking forward to not eating for 24 hours. I have dystonia and if I miss even one meal I terrible all over, it’s embarrassing.

1 Like

Pics or it didn’t happen :wink:

8 Likes

Dont drink coffee if i do my poops come out like a volcano lava , lol

5 Likes

Alcohol made pooping easy, when I quit drinking I found myself needing to change things up. Magnesium is my newest bff as well as probiotics! I developed candida from drinking, those with colostrum is helping to heal my gut. Much better this way!

5 Likes