Almost 6 months and feeling terrible

Hello, I’m pretty new here. I’ve been sober almost 6 months, and never felt worse. I am at my peak of feeling so bad that I don’t know what to do. Supposed to have more energy? Forget about it, I’m weak, my muscles hurt. Clear mind? Sometimes I feel like my face is vibrating, I feel enormous pressure inside my head like it’s filled with something, but something empty, it’s even a physical discomfort. I feel so blurry and my vision is worse. I cannot achieve this relief, feeling peace, it’s missing like burned out. I feel angry out of a sudden, mood swings, running thoughts. Those were things I was curing with alcohol but it went out of control of course. So I’m asking what is the point of this? I was supposed to feel better and I’m losing my mind. I may be mentally ill or have some actual physiological issue, I really hope so cause I don’t have an answer. I really don’t want to hear stuff like one day at a time cause it’s been months and for me it’s pointless, I feel like alcohol was keeping me sane for all those years but I was uncapable to control it and it started to be degenerative and now I’m left with nothing. Tried many drugs for anxiety and alcoholism but they actually make me feel worse. Just wanted to share how I am feeling lately, thank you.

13 Likes

Hey what’s up man. I’m 168 days and literally going through the same thing. I think it’s one a milestone thing, and two for me it’s a lack of me stopping on working my sobriety, im getting comfortable with the fact that I have sobriety and I don’t need to work it anymore. I had the energy, everything was on track and yeah I just thought everything was going to fall into place. It is one day at a time, im picking back up on a.a meetings and time to start working this, we can’t do this alone. Don’t give up and fall into the trap bro, you’re not going to like that outcome. Idc how miserable we are right now this shit will pass. But drinking everyday killing are self and really hating are self will stick a hell of alot longer. Look down and look at your feet and see how far you have come right now. Remember where you were and why u wanted sobriety. If my miserable ass can make it through this so can you bud

16 Likes

Alcohol wasn’t curing anything, it was just covering up. When you quit, the issues that were there in the first place: what led many of us to drink, are exposed. Only once they are exposed, can you really address them and try to heal. I would recommend going to a doctor about the physical symptoms you are experiencing and consider seeing a therapist to deal with other symptoms you described. For me, alcohol was a mask that kept me from dealing with underlying issues for a long, long time. It gets better, it really does. But pulling off the covers doesn’t clean the mess, it just exposes it. Now that you see it, you can address the route problems.

21 Likes

Meetings never did much for me, I met few great people though. I thought I work on my sobriety every day, by struggling and working my ass off and I am sober. Still thirsty af but sober, but what’s the point of it if I actually don’t feel good? Thank you mate for reply

1 Like

It was curing me for a while, I was a better person, liked myself better and everybody around, didn’t have to be drunk all the time but when I went into a binge it was really bad. I know now that it was destroying me but why am I suffering right now when I’m sober?

2 Likes

Have you been to see a doctor? Maybe there is some underlying issues.
You don’t say what you have been doing to help maintain your sobriety.
It’s a bit of a journey and I know at six months I was still feeling crap a lot of the time.

6 Likes

I am not drinking, that’s how I maintain my sobriety. I work a lot so it helps too. My problem is not to maintain sobriety, it’s why I feel worse than ever? I haven’t been to a doctor, planning to though

1 Like

I would go to the doctor.
There is more to getting sober than just not drinking.
Thing is I’m not a doctor, but it could all be related in some way.
Especially if, as you say, you were using drink to “cure” your problems.
You need to look at those problems with a doctor because drinking is not the answer.

8 Likes

I would also recommend going to the doctor, if nothing else its one thing to check off from a list of possibilities. I also say this because when I stopped drinking I had fatigue, headaches and heart palpitations and wondered what the point was. Turns out I had numerous vitamin deficiencies due to years of drinking and with supplements that were prescribed i felt better within a week!!

I think i had the symptoms before I stopped drinking but just put it all down to hangovers etc.

Best of luck to you!

8 Likes

Have you started to acknowledge and work through the reasons why you drank and changed your circumstances or alleviate the pressures within yourself to drink? You say you’re thirsty af, to me that sounds like booze is still mentally your immediate go to to solve your problems. Which your entire post speaks of, that you might aswell go back to drinking if you’re feeling shite, as least then you’d feel less shite. Nothing has taken alcohol’s place in your mind. You’re not making progress in your sobriety.
Well, you need to make your life worth living. You need to deal with your mood swings, your runny nose, your anger. With yourself. Either that or you let alcohol do that for you again. Which I think you also don’t want, otherwise you wouldn’t be asking for advice! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: That is great news!

On top of that, definitely go see your doctor, in case there is a physical issue or issues underlying. Equally important though, start working in yourself, through counseling, therapy, in AA, there are many ways.

6 Likes

Just wanted to say keep at it, it can only get better! Also @Kuba
Our bodies do their best at getting back to the original state, :wink:

3 Likes

Thank you all for replying, I found this app by accident and it’s awesome. My sharing how I am feeling is a desperate shout, I am not an open person, not many friends or not at all, like to be alone most of the time and mind my own buisness. I work a lot and it’s a stressful job but I feel the worst when I’m just at home and supposed to relax.

@anon79808082 if it’s supposed to get better then why is it worse?

@dalex77 anxiety is what’s killing me the most but I’m also tired all the time and have no motivation to do anything even of I want to, I know few shots of liquor would take the edge off and I would feel happy again, for the moment, until I poison myself to the limits again,

4 Likes

I wish I had an answer; maybe the length of time you used has a correlation to how long the body needs to heal.
:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

@purr thank you, that’s an interesting list, I think I could relate to all those points and probably more. I don’t know if anything can make it better, it’s a real mental torture and I don’t understand why it wasn’t that bad before but just now. I was quitting before and it wasn’t that bad

@dalex77 thank you as well, I hope it will get better for both of us otherwise where is the point of doing that? I decided to be sober and be good and this is my reward? I knew it’s not gonna be a picnic but right now the pain is not worth it

2 Likes

I feel like I’m in a really dark scary place and I don’t know what to do with myself, I have periods of being okay for a bit then I get into this sticky hopelessness, I just realized that I miss words when I type, I’m scared this black cloud is gonna come again when I feel good. Sleeping helps, like my brain needs to be shut down to recover

2 Likes

Hey, thanks for checking, I am doing better today for sure, how are you doing? You mentioned something about antidepressants, I know that reaching out to a doctor is not easy sometimes. I would recommend some natural remedies. St. John’s Worth is a very powerfull natural mood stabilizer I use with Lemon Balm, it works good for sleep, also Skullcap and Valerian Root. The best is an extract in a liquid form from Vitamin Shoppe. It can really help

1 Like

Give yourself a pat on the back for continuing to stay sober through the worst of days. I didn’t fully get my head on straight until a year in. Even fifteen months sober I have my days. Just remember to be kind to yourself & listen to your body. Hydrate lots and treat yourself if you have an appetite to some good healthy whole hearted cooking. Or fuck it postmates it lol unfortunately I don’t have any advice about the depression but I’m a holistic nutritionist so I seek to remedy the entire or “whole” person (mind, body, and soul) as opposed to curing isolated symptoms. Meditation, yoga, all that crap you don’t want to do can help ease your mind of the pain your feeling. I wish you a peaceful day, pal. Let me know if there’s anything I can do.

2 Likes

Tea may work or not but you need pure extract, it’s very powerful especially St. John’s Wort. Sorry you are still feeling bad, I know the pain, can’t really force yourself to do anything.

@dalex77 Maybe you alredy tried it but there is a great site with a lot of meetings everyday - stepchat.com

1 Like

If you have 5 minutes go to you tube look up( roadmap to recovery )it really does help put alot into prepective as to why we feel the way we do .it really helped me make sense of the inner workings of ourselves.:pray::pray:

5 Likes

Kuba, this is totally normal. Make sure you hydrate properly and eat healthy. Our bodies go through a healing phase. It needs to do this.
Accept it and look after yourself.
If you ain’t up to much, don’t worry.
When I first started I don’t think I worked a whole week for a long time and when I did work I just came home had a bath and went to bed.

6 Likes