Am I an alcoholic? 20 years of drinking...is it time to admit?

Thanks i will ck this out

1 Like

Well i made it. Im sober. 145days. Attending my first wedding and reception since getting sober. I love love and ceremony was wonderful. But damn they had the longest cocktail hour ever! I was doing fine but after dinner when people started two fisting it got tougher. I took breaks, called my sponsor, talked to my hubby. But it got tough and i cried like three times before i had to tap out at 9pm. It was too much. I cried because i was angry that it bothered me sooo much. I wish it didnt bother me. But hey were back at the airbnb sober and thats a win.

Edit it doesnt feel like a win. I feel defeated because being around alcohol bothered me so much. I have 4.5 months but its become abundantly clear i still need to protect myself. Maybe it wont always be like that but im in my sobriety infancy.

8 Likes

You did great. I had a family wedding this last May to go to… for my wife’s cousin. At that point, I had been sober for 16 months. As soon as the alcohol started flowing, it was very hard for me. My wife immediately senses something was wrong. She got up, got me a tonic water with lime, and I drank those all night long. I ended up having a blast, and stayed sober through all of it. It takes time. I’m not sure I could have gone to an event with alcohol flowing at 4.5 months, like you did. I think you did great!

1 Like

What does the Big Book say “spiritual progress not perfection” “some slowly, some quickly “. I think you won! On many levels. Be gentle with yourself. I still can’t go to a sushi bar. All I see is Saki. Whatever it takes to stay sober. And you did that! Yeah for you!!!

1 Like

You did it @Cjp! You made it through sober and that’s a huge win. Keep doing what you’re doing and it will get easier.

1 Like

You made it though! The fact that it was hard means that it is worth the effort. You fought that demon, used your toolbox effectively and laid a sober head on a pillow. I’m proud of you @Cjp. :blush::muscle:t3::heart::clap:t3:

1 Like

Thanks @TrustyBird after some reflection i think my “im not good enough” voice was at play because im not “further along” but i fucking did it sober and im proud of that

2 Likes

My “I’m not good enough” pipes in too now and again. I hate that. Maybe we defeat that little jerk by realizing he lives in all of us.

1 Like

I too went to my first sober wedding last September at exactly 4.5 months sober. Even with all the personal progress I thought I had made up to that point through AA and working the steps with my sponsor, it was still incredibly overwhelming. I also had to ask my fiancé if we could leave a little early because it got too overwhelming.

Tonight I’m going to my 5th wedding since getting sober, and I still get a little anxious before them even at almost a year and a half sober.

Be patient with yourself. That first wedding is the hardest. Like all things we learn to do sober the first time is the hardest. I’ve found for me that each one gets a little easier and I’m paying less attention to all the drinking around me.

Big congrats on getting through that first one sober!!

4 Likes

5 months free today! It seems like forever and not that long at the same time. Im feeling good about sobriety and i want more. Looking forward to getting my chip monday!

7 Likes

I’m pretty much the same, I used to drink daily but for the past two years have only drank weekends, but when I drink I drink! Can’t control the amount, just keep going until I fall asleep. I haven’t got to the point where I’ll say I’m an alcoholic but I do admit to having a drink problem, I too have found it daunting stopping forever which is why I spent two years limiting it to weekends, but those two days still impact negatively on my life so now I’m ready for a life without it. Baby steps :+1:

2 Likes

Technically worked thru steps 6 and seven with my sponsor but i feel like theres more i need to do. Idk i feel like my connection with my higher power is weak rn and idk how to grow that connection.

I’ve identified my character defects, in no particular order:
Perfectionism
Self-pity
Fear*
Self centeredness
Jealousy
Lack of confidence
Lying
Laziness
Controlling*
Thinking negatively
Impatient
*fear and controlling thoughts run hand in hand. If i can have those removed asap thad be great. Thanks lol

My assets:
Open-minded
Respectful
To the point
Caring of others
Supportive
Outgoing
Loving
Thoughtful
Realistic goals

Biggest false belief and negative self talk “I am not good enough”

I guess i need to pray to my higher power. Praying still feels weird. Like idk who/what i am praying to. I’ll practice

2 Likes

Oh Google…how you are evil but i love you so much rn. So i had a super busy day and then got home, alone and feeling lonely. I said im gonna google.

Preface: im trying to grow spiritually. Im not one to follow an organized religion. I believe in energies and the universe and everything happens for a reason. So in AA when they say pray i struggle because i’ve been raised to know a christian god. But the universe doesnt have a face. Idk why im hung up on that. Maybe i just need to identify an image to pray to. Maybe it doesnt have to be a face.
I Explored other religions and beliefs in high school and college. Ive been claiming agnostic for years. But AA has renewed my curiousity in spirituality.

Anyways i google “how to have faith in the universe” and google didnt disappoint. I found a page that spoke of surrendering to the universe.

A couple excerpts that spoke to me:

Anyways come to find out this was a page for an empath in canada who wants $6000CAD for 6 months of sessions. Lol good thing im not manic or id book it right away.

Anyways, growing spiritually thanks to google

2 Likes

At least half of my AA crew don’t see their higher power as Jesus or the Christian God, but we are ALL very spiritual. I really appreciate that about the organization.

2 Likes

Agreed. I havent encountered anyone saying my god is the only way. I like that its a spiritual program

1 Like

Im back. Posted on the gratitude thread but wanted to document something here in this thread. I am SO FUCKING GREATFUL. I am a greatful recovering alcoholic. Ever since making that hard choice to see if i can do 30 days without drinking my life has improved. I celebrated 180 days on fridays and i’ll get my official sobertime medal for six months on tuesday, nov 1st. And it seems fucking surreal the personal, relationship, and spiritual growth ive made on my sober journey so far.

Started my day out with therapy. This was my second session with Emily and i was a little iffy on her because she didnt seem as excited and proud about my sobriety as i thought she should be lol i know. I know. Expectations. Anyways i shared how im trying to grow spiritually and its difficult because my husband has a HUGE aversion towards the word GOD. Well i found something about surrendering to the universe and it really resonated with me and i thought hey i should share this with my hubby. He thanked me for sharing and i thanked him for reading. I felt like those words were explaining the struggle im going thru right now in aa and i was able to share that understanding with my husband. He was receptive. I was greatful. Tonight we are all going to bed happy.

Tmrw i will read all 150plus posts on this thread to review how far ive come in six months. Ill share more reflections then. Peace lovelies :kissing_heart: :two_hearts: :heartbeat: :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

6 month chip bitches
Fuck your old twisted thinking
I refuse to play this tired insane drinking game
A game that has lost its fun long ago

Bigger brighter things for my future
Like hope and joy
Sobriety brings a world of possibilities

One day at a time.

7 Likes

Adding this here, stole it from a friend :slight_smile:

4 Likes

When i popped on this thread it went to post #1 from may 11th! I read ur inital post and then to see how far youve come, getting ur 6th month chip, is such a beautiful thing to see! Made me smile :smiley: congratulations my beautiful friend!!!

3 Likes

That’s my exact approach so far. 47 days. One week longer than I have been my whole adult life (17 years). I don’t plan to start anytime soon. Just gotta do it one day at a time.

2 Likes