Am I an alcoholic? 20 years of drinking...is it time to admit?

Wohhooo :tada: 6 months!! Being sober is such a great way to be, isn’t it? Congratulations :orange_heart:

1 Like

F***in A man hell yes! I just seen this thread and read you’re first post from May and to see you have 6 months now brought me a lot of joy. I’m so happy for you and congratulations :tada: truly inspiring.

2 Likes

206 days free.

Coming up on my first thanksgiving sober. I feel anxious, nervous, uneasy. Its not like everyone will be drinking…most likely just my brother. Everyone has been super supportive. Its extremely confusing why i feel so “off”. Unchartered territory i guess. I mean me last year id be shit faced by now. Do i want that? No. Then whats the problem? Im trying to approach it as just another day…

I dont like this feeling

7 Likes

The feelings are just that. They will pass. So grateful for your presence on this forum.

2 Likes

You are not alone…
Took me 50 years to admit I am sn alcoholic. 3 years sober now. AA is the answer for me. I had to let go snd do what they told me and work my assssss off.
It’s isn’t easy but doable. Gradually i came to appreciate sobriety more than binges. Best of luck to you. Together we CAN manage this disease!

2 Likes

Thanks for the reassurance @GentleWarrior I see you brother. Aa is working for me too. Just finished my amends today

2 Likes

Heard a good share today. You know how you think of people,places, and things you are greatful for. Think about what that feels like. Just be greatful. Not for a single thing. Just a state of gratitude.

I feel calm, joyful, thankful, and greatful. Life is good sober.

2 Likes

7 months free from weed and alcohol today. I just picked up my chip tonight at a lovely womens meeting i try to make every week.

My mom asked if its getting easier…i didnt know what to say. I didnt want to lie but i also didnt want to worry her. I ended up telling her its hard sometimes because i associate unwinding and relaxing and fun with alcohol.

At least i didnt milestone malady this time round…

Its gotten easier in some ways but its alot of work. Im not just sober, im in recovery and working a program which involves doing some hard reflecting and effort.

Honesty, openmindedness, and willingness have been key. I make 3-4 in person aa meetings a week. Im on here alot. Im in therapy. Im all in on this recovery effort.

Just because i have 7 months doesnt guarantee 7 months and one day. Every morning i make a decision to not pick up. Decision made, no rationalizing needed. Thoughts of drinking may come but they leave and if im honest im fucking pissed off im still thinking about booze. Oh well, building new habits

8 Likes

Just curious, was weed a big part of your life? Was it just something you did when you drank?

Id smoke a bowl a day and multiple on weekends. It wasnt my biggest vice but it slowed me down. My hubby on the other hand was a POT HEAD he stopped 6 months ago to my surprise.

2 Likes

Resonate with all of that. Wish more people could get to the good stuff of recovery. Recovery is progressive, just like the disease. Gratitude was a habit I committed to from day one. Now it is just my normal state of mind. What a gift. AA really hammers that home nicely.

3 Likes

I am so very proud of you @Cjp!! I see you putting in the work everyday and that is everything. Harder, easier however it’s going you are doing it. Keep up the great work. I made you a cake. :birthday:

3 Likes

Thank you @TrustyBird

3 Likes

Brought my first topic to a meeting tonight. I was prepared but nervous. It was well received and everyone participated. Im proud of my progress. Sobriety feels good

7 Likes

Im very frustrated, confused, and anxious. In aa i hear people share about the wonderful relationship they have with their sponsor and im jealous. I just dont. Well my sponsor is going through some health issues which just compounds how unavailable she is. I want to find a new sponsor but i dont want to upset my current sponsor. Im conflicted. I wish it was different. Everyone i share with tells me to get another sponsor. Ive reached out to a few ladies hoping to have coffee and talk. We shall see

5 Likes

Hey.

It was suggested to me that I have a “few” sponsors. A sponsor might go back out. Might die. Might move, etc…

I have been fortunate that my only sponsor has been solid with no issues. He has been very open about his role with me and only wants what is best for me in my recovery. That would include breaking up and or working with other sponsors.

A good sponsor should never make something about themselves and should understand if it is time to move on or change course.

My sobriety belongs to me and I must do what is necessary to maintain it. Obviously that includes my relationship with my sponsor.

4 Likes

You won’t upset your current sponsor by getting a new one. Sponsors take on the role knowing not all relationships are going to work out. You can always keep her as part of your immediate network. It’s not like you’re cutting her out of your recovery all together. She can be a person to lean on when your new sponsor isn’t available or when she has some free time to spend with you. Every sponsor I’ve ever met only wants what’s best for the sponsee. You’re the captain of your ship. Hopefully, something comes of meeting other ladies for coffee.

5 Likes

I remember feeling exactly that way! Except I think maybe it was mostly when I was in between sponsors. My first sponsor quit on me and I was crushed. I left a meeting once when a woman was gushing about how wonderful her sponsor was, I couldn’t handle it. I had 4 sponsors in the first 3 years. And then I started working with my current one and it’s been 3 years. I’d say if your gut is telling you to do it, you should try a new sponsor!

4 Likes

Just got back from my tuesday night step meeting. Tonights step was step 11. I heard alot of great shares and came away with prayer looks different from person to person. People dont feel that magical connection 100% of the time…this was news to me. I thought i was just doing it wrong. But im so very greatful im still learning and growing on my sober path.

Plus got the chills doing the lords prayer. I fucking love that. Theres something about the energy of intentional alcoholics saying a prayer. Its powerful. So greatful for fellowship.

They want me to lead the next 13 week session…im hesitant as im only on step 10 and get nervous. Maybe i should do it. Doubts about making a committment. Maybe i should just do it.

10 Likes

Thats really interesting about the twowayprayer. Im going to read more about it

2 Likes