Am I counting my recovery time wrong?

I also said the day after my last drink is day one. But mark a point, and count from there. The journey is the important thing.

4 Likes

Based on how I count my days you are correct.

1 Like

I started my tracker at 10 am March 10, 2021. I had one gulp of wine that was left at that time on March 10. Technically, my sober date should be March 11. But I didn’t understand this for awhile and I told my home group that I think I’m technically March 11, but I’d like to stick with the 10th as it’s been significant and one of my besties in AA shares the same date a year later. I also stopped counting days after about the four month mark. That was a big milestone looking back. That’s when the really good “stuff” of sobriety started to come into play. The Promises started to come to life. Did you hear that, @Amy30? It’s because I was participating in actual recovery and the practice of living sober that I started to get to “the good stuff”. Get ready!

9 Likes

Mine was also in the month of October. Oct 30th of 1991. It wasn’t my first introduction into AA but it was the date that stuck. I came into AA in 1988. But I wasn’t ready then. It took jail for wake up call. The essence of humilty is teachabilty and I had to get pretty humiliated to learn that lesson. Congradulations. Keep the faith. Always remember but for the grace of God go I. To thine ownself be true.

6 Likes

Thank you! This was a great reminder that the best is yet to come. You really are inspiring! :heart:

On topic. My sober date is January 14, 2023, because that was the first full day I didn’t drink from the moment I got up until I went to bed. My last black-out drunk was Wednesday, Jan 11. On Thursday, I was having hangover panic attacks, so drank about 4 beers to ‘calm’ down. On Friday, it was a couple of beers. Then from January 14th onwards I just stopped.

Funnily enough, I wasn’t planning on stopping. I told myself I was just taking a break to ‘recover’ from the last disaster. After about a week and a half of withdrawal hell and generally feeling like death warmed up, I decided I was done with this shit. And that’s how I started working on sobriety.

Tangent aside, January 14 is my sober date. The date also has a special significance, which is another reason why this sobriety journey is sticking.

8 Likes

Congratulations on your time. I stopped drinking three days before I went into detox/rehab. But I didn’t feel committed to stop drinking until I entered the facility. So that is the date I chose for my sobriety.

5 Likes

I count from the date and time on the arrest report. My last drink was about 10 minutes before that and my sobriety started at that time.

5 Likes

At about 11pm on the 21st of April I finished my last drink, and not another touched my lips since. My timer started then, so every night at 11pm is another day done :heart:

Your start date is personal to you, there’s no right or wrong answer. So long as you haven’t used or drank since then, I wouldn’t split hairs over it.

5 Likes

There are no rules. Some people mark the last time they drank/used. Some people mark the time the felt they were sober. I’m like others, I marked midnight after my last drink. Eventually any difference within 24 hours won’t matter any more.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

8 Likes

Sharing a soberversary with a loved one is very special. :slightly_smiling_face:đŸ«¶đŸ»

2 Likes

Hey, Binx. Glad you’re still sober & here. :people_hugging:

2 Likes

I do like others having particular events, or moments that mark their date. Mine was Wednesday morning at 10. I never think about that now, but boy howdy I did when in early early recovery.

3 Likes

Yep, I’m still here :slightly_smiling_face: I’ve been a little MIA as I’ve been dealing with personal stuff, but I try to check in as often as I can. I had to check my timer, that’s a good sign for me. 24 days now :heart:

3 Likes

3 weeks & 3 days. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:đŸ«¶đŸ»

2 Likes

@Binx
That would make a great topic for discussion in my home group. Thank you for bringing up the idea that every stop date is personal to the person that gave up their DoC. When and why they chose that day is special to them.

2 Likes

No problem at all :slightly_smiling_face:

Your home group, is that a local group to you?

I don’t have any groups local to me, which is why this app is a real lifeline for me :heart:

3 Likes

11/2/2021 is my quit date for cigarettes
midnight was the set time as its when i broke the remaining cigarettes and never purchased another pack.
12/21/22 is the timer for my weed and alcohol. Time is set at 11 am. I got totally hamnered the night before and sent a promise text to my famuly that i would never do this again I set the time 1 hour after i felt my hangover lift. At this point i threw weed into the mix too - hadnt been a regular weed smoker for months.
Clean living is a personal journey and the date should reflect what it means to you - no right or wrong way to set your sobriety date :wink:

3 Likes

I just want you to know how impressive your sober time has been. Have you had long term sobriety before? Congrats on what. . . 4 months of freedom from alcohol!?

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I did quit smoking cigarettes for 2 years when in 19/20
this is by far the longest ive gone without drinking. I could do posdibly 2 days (and those were hard). Many times threw out all my alcohol (i always have a large collection on hand) butt hat never mattered as id always find the collection growing the collection again.
I could go 5 -7 days without alcohol if i was on a nature vacation (where i spent all my time hiking etc):woman_shrugging: i would literally get home and immediately grab the bottle and cigs /weed and unwind from vacation in preparation to meet my real life.

It’s awesome that you quit cigarettes too. I quit cigarettes on 5/24/2014. :no_smoking:

2 Likes