Am lonely and tired of the same ordinary routine

Why is it that everytime I get bored or irritated or discontent I run to drugs to alleviate the problem…why can’t I get anything right. I’m tired of relapsing and am frustrated because am 30 years old and got no car no house to call my own most of the time am broke am unemployed and down right miserable. I gotta work on myself but it feels like I been stuck doing drugs for the past decade. Please if there is anything new that I could possibly try to do other than NA meetings a sponsor or the damn 12 steps am willing to take advice on something different than that…because non of those things worked for me when I tried them. Same old shit just a different time frame I feel like am not moving forward with my sobriety. :pray: for me.

2 Likes

Because you take the easy route and settle for what you know.
It’s hard to stop using. My DOC is alcohol and I’ve gone from using all day everyday to nothing but it wasn’t easy. I haven’t just stopped!
I’ve took on board everything I’ve learnt off here and looked at the various programs and videos books whatever and opened my mind to the fact that I needed to change.
I’m now 440 odd days but it hasn’t been easy.

2 Likes

How come it didn’t work for you? How long did you try…

lots of stuff in both threads worth looking into👍

5 Likes

I got sober just by using this app. I think others have also. It may be that you have to be ready. It may not be your time yet. I could tell you what I’ve done here. But it may not work for you. You’re searching for something. That’s better than nothing.

3 Likes

I’m schizophrenic and deal with ADHD too so that’s my underlined problems stem from that too.

I share some of your same feelings lately. 3/7 days of the week I feel depressed or bored or super unhappy and all I want to do is drink, use drugs or partake in some kind of reckless behavior to make me feel alive again.

I am not used to having to live with these feelings since I used to mask them with alcohol.

Some days I am able to distract myself with exercise or seeing friends. Other days I just have to deal with the uncomfortable feelings and just remind myself that feeling uncomfortable and unhappy is a normal part of life and we aren’t meant to feel happy and excited 24/7.

From what I have read from other people: as time goes on, the better things will get and we will also get better at coping when things aren’t great.

Good luck to you! If you replace one unhealthy addiction with another, that’s just another thing you are going to have to quit down the road. And quitting is not a fun thing to put yourself through.

1 Like

I understand na or other meetings ain’t for everyone but have u really put your all into a programme? I honestly thought i could do other things to get clean i tried everything but always went back to using. I couldn’t imagine walking into a room full of addicts and asking 4 help . But I had to loose my ego and pride to get better. Once I got myself a sponsor i worked the steps and gave it my everything. And it made me free of my addiction. Don’t get me wrong I struggle from time to time but I have support from other addicts and I ask for help . I know u say it’s not for u but it does work if u work it. X

I’m going to 2nd what @RBG said.

This app has been a huge life changer for me. Yes, I have a meeting that I go to now, but checking in daily on TS really helps to keep my mind in a better place.

1 Like

Sounds to me your not doing enough to build urself up or been sober long enough to see the positives. Get sober and work toward getting a car and a job. Make yourself valueable and have some meaning. You must not want this bad enough if you keep failing. Sounds like ur just not ready yet to surrender and willing to do anything as u dissmiss the program. Of course if u dont put the effort in your gonna fail. Quit making excuses and be willing to put your all into it and make goals .

1 Like