Another round of trying

Five days without a drop of alcohol and and while I feel great this morning I’m anxious thinking about how I might fail again. :woman_facepalming:t2: I’m really trying to stay positive and not dwell on the what if’s. I guess I’m driving myself crazy.

7 Likes

Hi Kaitlyn, congrats on your 5 days! Instead on focusing on how you might fail, focus on how you can prevent failing. What’s your plan when the cravings hit? I’m quite new into sobriety, but I have a list of things that I do, to clear my head;

• go for a walk
  • go to the gym
  • continue reading my book etc.
    All the best on your sober journey. Stay connected to the group!
3 Likes

Just dwell on today and laying your head on your pillow tonight sober.
24 hour chunks are easier than projecting how things may or may not happen.
:hugs:

5 Likes

That’s addiction right there :innocent:

Addiction is like the flow of a river, and recovery is like building an aqueduct - re-directing the river - to channel the water in safer ways.

Over the years our “I want what I want when I want it” behaviour has worn a riverbed in. Obviously the water, if you don’t work to redirect it, flows through those paths.

The good news is it doesn’t have to. You can build a different route for the water to follow. It takes effort, one day at a time, but it is possible.

This is the addict brain. (There’s a lot of people who actually give that “voice” a name! See this thread, for example :innocent:) The addict brain lies to you & tells you you’re not worth it, you’re incapable. The addict brain is manipulative and selfish. You have to stand up to it the same way you’d stand up to any bully: you say you will not give in and that you are worth it and you do deserve self-respect. You are capable and you will not give in, because you choose to not feed your addiction.

You are capable of doing this. You’ve taken a courageous step posting here. Don’t give up, and remember you deserve a safe life where you respect yourself.

5 Likes

Another way to help yourself build confidence: access some of the many sobriety resources there are, in groups, books, podcasts, and media.

Resources for our recovery

Take care :innocent:

2 Likes

Remember: you always have a choice.
Focus on winning the battle today. Hypothetical future “failures” will only become reality if you choose.

3 Likes

Congrats on 5 days! It will get easier as time progresses and you get used to living an alcohol free life. The key for me was establishing new sober routines.

Keep up the hard work!

2 Likes

For me, when I got sober and stopped relapsing there was a thought process shift. Failure wasnt an option, didnt think about it. I consumed all things sober.

2 Likes

Maybe focus on how you will succeed, rather than how you will fail. If you believe you can or believe you can’t, you are right in both accounts.

If you can go 5 days without a drink, you can go 6. How do I know? Because you can go 5.

A lifetime of sobriety is achieved through deciding not to drink. It’s saying “no” to the drink that matters…the first drink.

2 Likes

Congratulations on 5 days. I remember feeling like you (and sometimes still do). In those moments I come here and read and read and read. It’s helpful to know I’m not alone and it’s helpful to read other people’s experiences. You can do this. One minute one second one day at a time. You’ll feel so glad and proud that you did. For me, even if I’ve had the worst day, even if it’s been the hardest day, I know I can feel good about something … and that is knowing I didn’t pick up that first drink. :pray:thank you @Yoda-Stevie.

2 Likes

Find and go to AA meetings as often as possible. At least for me, they re-ignite my drive to stay sober.

1 Like

What one person can do, another can do. This includes sobriety.

1 Like

We’re going into this new year sober! No if’s ands or buts about it!!!

1 Like