Anxiety Day 1

Yesterday night, I decide enough is enough with my drinking. I’m tired of making myself a fool around those I love. It’s now at the point where others don’t enjoy me.

Mother’s Day ended up being an intervention with me.

It’s been 20 hours since my last drink and pull of a joint. Since then my anxiety has been running rampant. My heart rate has consistently been around 110, I’ve got non-stop butterflies in my stomach and I can’t stop replaying my foolish ways in my mind. The shame and guilt of letting myself get to this point is eating me up.

Any tips on how to deal with these types of feelings?

10 Likes

Welcome to the community :raising_hand_woman:
It’s nice to have you with us :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Welcome to the community. The only tip I can give you is, understand that it takes time and be ready to fight for your sobriety. My first couple of weeks sober were hell. Being sick, the anxiety, shakes, feelings of impending doom, sweats, cold, nausea, insomnia, nightmares. I could go on and on. Just be strong, seek medical attention if you need it. And listen to the people here who have a good amount( a few years of sobriety) and do what they did. :v:

3 Likes

Thanks, I really appreciate the message. It’s good to know it’s a “normal” reaction to get normal.

1 Like

It is. It gets better just stick with it.

1 Like

Welcome to the community friend. You are among friends here.
Great work on your 20 hours of sobriety :muscle: It is hell at the beginning as your body is detoxing and finding ways to cope without the sedation we’ve kept it under.

Yes it does take time but it does get easier. Make sure to hydrate, get rest when you can and try to find ways to keep yourself busy so that the mind doesn’t focus on the withdrawals. Support is key also - if you can – find recovery groups in person or on line to join. Being around other addicts helps us realize we are not alone and our symptoms are valid.

Great that you are here with us. A lovely supportive community here and loads of amazing advice on these threads. Wish you luck and hope to see you around :hugs:

1 Like

How you doing today? You hanging in there?
I wanted to welcome you TS.

My strongest tool here is the daily gratitude thread. It’s a powerful tool. And gratitude can fight anxiety. Our brains cannot comprehend both anxiety and gratitude at the same time.
Google it research gratitude if you’re interested.

It’s an easy practice or exercise. I come here every day Daily Gratitude, The Air Of Recovery #6
I’ve totally retrained my brain. Actively writing it and reading and living it in the moment. C’mon over I’ll save you a seat. The lights are always on.
:pray:t2::heart:

Thanks for reaching out!

Today, was a better day with the anxiety, it was still around but was able to forget it at times. I traded it for feelings of resentment and anger.

I haven’t gotten into that thread as yet, or done any of the writing. Thanks for the recommendation as I do need to understand and remember what I’m grateful for.

1 Like

Ya I get that. I had a lot of anger. I was so angry. I cannot drink like a normal person. Why? I just can’t. Never could. I did a lot of angry power walks with loud angry gangsta rap hip hop especially Eminem. I power walked my ass off twice a day. And I did a lot of apologizing. Stick with us. This sober community has been key to my sobriety. We know what you’re going through.

Reaching out is a sign of strength and courage.

Off to my meeting.
:pray:t2::heart:

2 Likes