Anxious for the Weekend

Right now I am extremely nervous about my first weekend trying not to drink. Today is my 7th day sober after spending last Friday in the hospital detoxing. I drank everyday for years, but the weekends were when it was the worst. I drank from the moment I got home Friday afternoon until late Sunday resulting in some bad withdrawals Monday and trying to deal with them at work until I could get home and have a drink. I am planning on trying to keep busy with some work stuff and housework, but I have made those promises to myself in the past. Wish me luck.

7 Likes

Write down in detail what last Friday felt like. You deserve to create a better life for yourself. It’s not easy but a lot of us here have been in your shoes, stick around here too.
:wink:

4 Likes

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again and again. If you want to not drink, an AA meeting is a good safe place to be. Virtual or face to face.

Three is a huge difference between avoiding drinking and growing sobriety.

5 Likes

I like that idea. I was just telling my friend that I will try to remember how hard this week has been whenever I want to drink again and how I don’t want to do it all over again. Thanks for the advice. :blush:

2 Likes

Have a plan in place. Get some lovely soft drinks in, plenty of ice (if you like it) nice nibbles and lovely food and plenty of sweets treats. Your body will be missing the sugar from the booze. Plan a candle lit bath, download some quit literature, put fresh bedding on. Get some nice smelly candles on the go. Keep things calm and 100% booze free. Spend the weekend time on self care and calm. You totally deserve it! Once you have one sober weekend under your belt there will be no stopping you!!! Wish you well, stay in touch with us…we are here 24/7 :pray:t2::two_hearts:

2 Likes

Thank you for all of the good ideas! Great opportunity for sweets too! I am trying to look at this first weekend like my first day. The first felt almost like the first weekend only in one day. Thanks for the advice and thank you for the support. :grin:

1 Like

Meetings meetings meetings

https://aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources

Online meeting resources

Resources for our recovery

Go to three meetings a day if you need to. There is one, simple rule: you can do anything that’s safe and legal to maintain your sobriety. You can:

• go to multiple meetings; meeting crawl
  • cancel normal plans
  • take 45 minute showers (don’t knock it till you’ve tried it)
  • bake 120 chocolate chip cookies
  • discover what various fruits in your house make Perrier taste like
  • etc

The meetings are not only something to do; they’re also a path to unpacking, understanding, and processing whatever has kept you running away from life. There are reasons for why you’ve been running. There is pain; there is fear. The fear will rule you until you face it. It lurks in that voice on our shoulders that says, “C’mon…” (We’ve all got that voice.)

This is the place where you stand your ground. You will live today sober. Tomorrow is tomorrow - don’t you worry about that. Today is all you have - and your head hits the pillow, sober.

You’re a good person and you deserve a safe, sober life where you can be your full self.

2 Likes

Thanks Matt for all of the good advice and positive affirmations. I’m finding that keeping busy and through the help of this app, the weekend hasn’t been so bad so far. Sure there is one more day left to go, but if I made it through today, I can do it tomorrow. Thank you everyone for your support!

2 Likes

How are you doing today?

1 Like

I actually feel great today. I came into Monday proud, relieved, and motivated knowing that I made it through the weekend without drinking. Another obstacle tackled. I want to try to hold onto these feelings so that I can remember them in the future when I have doubts. I could not have done it without the help and support from the fantastic community on these forums. Thank you everyone
and Thank you for asking Matt. I hope you had a good weekend and that all is well.

4 Likes

I did, thanks! And I’m glad you had a good one too. It feels nice doesn’t it :innocent:

Take care and remember: you’re a good person who deserves a safe, sober life where you can be your full self. You’re good enough, you belong, and you matter - that has always been true and will still be true tomorrow.

2 Likes