Any academics or students on here?

well done everyone i left school at 15 in 1967 got a job in a rope works worked from then just moved up the ladder had a few companies lost them then got sober and got them back retired now decades sober big house money in the bank seen most of the world . i studied the circle of life keep on trucking

13 Likes

You’ve got a Masters of Arts in AA mate!

3 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Derailment void / Off topic 2021 to present

Does anyone get that academic itch? I was on a path of towards an academic life (I was a Research Assistant, going to do a PhD). I had to give it up as the environment I was working in was toxic and I was very ill.

Anyway, that was coming up to 3 years ago and my brain is now twitching to learn/research again. Does anyone do it just for fun? Bit scared about adding anything into my life again, but equally I need a hobby.

5 Likes

I agree, this thread is rally getting me almost wishing I was back in study also! You all so inspiring!
You could do part time study so it’s less stressful and time consuming?

2 Likes

Yes this thread is making me all wistful. I love my area of research (feminism in ‘ordinary’ women during the interwar period) but just not ready to commit to a PhD. I loved looking at women’s magazines from that time.

I am also concerned that I will never get the house and money that @Ray_M_C_Laren mentions going down this path :rofl:

5 Likes

I recommend then the thread of Jen on comparison is not your friend.

When I start comparing with other people my PhD didn’t help me at all. Now, some years later I like the memories of my colleagues there and that I learned a lot somehow. Nothing of big value. I am interested is so many things but usually not for a long time. I am so happy that my online Yoga teacher training is still something I pursue. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I think you are right. I miss that glow that came from being emersed in history, surrounded by people who were equally passionate. There was another side to it though which I just don’t want. Most academics I know say they wouldn’t get into it now. I am so much more at peace now, spending time in nature, reading for pleasure.

7 Likes

Can relate to that, my PhD proposal was approved. But alcohol, all the noise and now it seems AD(H)D did let me pull the plug. Later on I pulled the plug out a lot of career paths. Wondering how it would have been like sometimes, but it is the now that counts.

4 Likes

Sounds similar, just a restlessness. I think I have now decided to not look for my identity in a career and just plod on. You are right, today is what matters

4 Likes

I did my masters in a low residency program while still running my whole prodfessional life. My work wife is getting her doctorate the same way! What area/s of study are you interested in?!

1 Like

My mother-in-law is getting her Masters in library science and she works in the archives at her university. She was just telling me about helping digitize women’s magazines and other periodicals during those types of time periods and how interesting it was to be able to peruse while she scanned things lol! What fun. I worked in libraries (my first job in high school) up through my undergrad degree and I’ve been contemplating trying to get a job at our local library…I think I’d love it. Not sure if I want to go back to school for it though!

7 Likes

Oh my goodness, what a dream! They are such a fascinating source, and so visually stunning too. The combination of library and archives is a dream job. I used to adore my trips to the British Library which is where the magazines I researched are kept. Maybe you should go for a job in the library and then see if you actually need to return to school?

3 Likes

I did a degree in Fine Art in the 1980’s then a post grad in media in my 40’s - 10 yrs ago- when I career changed to be a journalist.

I then taught radio and media stuff at Uni to undergrads for a while but I’m happier not working at the moment. It helps my sobriety! Less stress!!

1 Like