Any advice for first days of quitting alcohol

Hi just starting and I really struggle with first few days - any words of advice so welcome x

Hello and welcome 🙋
I have a list of things who have helped me so far. I share it with you:

• No alcohol in my house
  • Refrigerator filled with nice food and alc. free drinks
  • Telling my spouse about my sober plan
  • Avoid alcohol related activities and friends (at least in the beginning)
  • Having a day counter
  • Avoid wine/beer section in the supermarket and avoid liquor store
  • Taking a strong vitamine B complex
  • Taking melatonin to help me sleep
  • Be gentle to myself, like go to bed early, taking a long bath, etc.
  • Doing relaxing activaties like meditate, yoga, walking, etc.
  • When I have cravings: I don’t pick up that first one but I walk, run, work out, eat chocolat, watch Netflix, clean, study, whatever.
  • Ask for help when I need it.
  • Be here every day to read and check in sober.

And welcome here! This app is a great tool if you use it :facepunch: Glad you came!

11 Likes

Thanks so much for reply - that is a great list of tips - am feeling very scared - but I think this app could save me x

2 Likes

Hi and welcome. You Don’t tell us much about your situation, so I’m just going to say keep in mind why you are doing this.
There is a saying “play the tape through” which basically means think about the effect of having that first drink! Where it could end!
Have a read around on here. Use the search options. There is Loads of information and advice from people in all stages of sobriety.
Keep an open mind to try anything and everything until you find something that fits you.
Stay strong :grinning:

6 Likes

Please don’t feel scared. It takes hard work, but you can do it. Come here as often as you need it. You can find many more tips and “tricks” here. Get to know your addiction and beat it with your knowledge.

3 Likes

Now I am 10 days sober. So far this has been helpful for me:

1. Not to have alcohol at home.
  2. This app. Reading and writing here.
  3. Taking care my feelings: HALT. Am I hungry? Angry? Lonely? Tired? To feel my feelings isn’t as easy as it sounds…
  4. Sport
  5. Coming back to read books again.
  6. Cleaning my home.
  7. Telling my adult kids I won’t drink and when my big boys visit me: Mom has NO beer at home!
  8. Because I am vain: registration of the benefits on my body. Like my face so much more in the morning, even without make up!!
  9. Meditation once in a while.
  10. Getting more information about being and staying sober.

Kind regards from day 10!

4 Likes

Wow thanks so much for that message. It is alcohol. I appear to be fully functioning, am a professional and successful in my career but hit the bottle after work - wine. That is my crippling addiction. Need to get my life back ! X

Thanks so much - congratulations on 10 days - that is amazing x

@Patoni For me it’s wine too. I made a good career, to come down I started using alcohol. Then I needed to drink. The last 10 days at work I could feel the difference: I am much more concentrated at work, more energy on one side. On the other side I take more care of my needs, to have a break, to eat, to relax once in a while also at work.
So when I am at home, I am not too exhausted like I has been 10 days ago.
My evening craving I try to run away or to read here.

Day 8 has been a bit difficult. I had mixed feelings and thoughts, the drinking thoughts somehow. It helped me to read and to see, it will pass. Like the clouds on t the sky. Like a second to the next.
Today I will not drink. Just today.

Hi yes I have managed 1 month before a few times and when I do I feel amazing - am worried about my poor liver and all the negative thoughts - sorry you having a bad day - just keep reading and make sure you eat something nice x​:pray::+1:

1 Like

Can you make a plan for the evenings when you get home and cravings strike, replace the wine with something else that makes you feel good, exercise, meditation, a good film, bubble bath, some cake?

Thanks good idea ! X

I used a lot of accountability to help me stay sober. That was part of my motivation to go to AA, was to be able to say I was still sober, and to collect my monthly chips. I also went to a counselor for individual meetings weekly, and to a rehab group as well.

In my first month, I also relied on Antabuse. It was easy to take my pill in the morning when my resolve to stay sober was strong. And for the rest of the day, for me, the option of drinking was removed.

Good luck to you @Patoni.

1 Like

Thanks for all these good ideas, i too am 6 days in and find myself struggling. AA meetings have been helping and trying to keep myself busy so I don’t come home from work and pour that first glass of wine. I’ve always joked it’s the devil’s poison, it really is.

2 Likes

Maybe try a meeting people there will put you right and get phone numbers why do this alone wish you well

Wine was my thing too. I hate it and I love it. I am in my first days too and keeping busy really helps. Staying out of the grocery store as much as possible or taking my son with me. There are some good books out there too and Youtube videos on staying sober or listening to a good AA meeting. Stay strong! I’m trying too!

1 Like

Well done I still need to get to end of today but I am feeling good and my husband is supportive - so I super lucky in many ways - just need to keep my shit together and not let my mind wander :pray::pray:

Well done for six days !! :+1::wave:t2:

HALT has really helped me a lot in my recovery. also, having a list of reasons why i don’t drink on my phone to reference. keep fizzy or delish drinks in your fridge, too! good luck x

Don’t forget your ‘why’. You decided to quit for a reason. Every day you should remind yourself of that reason, without downplaying it. There is no room for ‘maybe I wasn’t that bad.’ Because clearly it was, or you wouldn’t have stopped. :slight_smile: keep a positive attitude. I believe sobriety is a gift, not a punishment.

1 Like