Any Avid Readers Here? What are you currently reading?

Definatly @SassyRocks :+1:. I’m on to war of the worlds again now. I remember listening to the musical version of it in the late 70’s at school.

3 Likes

Hello one and all,

Did someone read “Mindfulness” from Williams and Penman? I’ve started it and hope, that it will help me with my anxiety.

I’m always looking for good audiobooks! I love Sci-fi, Fantasy and Mystery books. You recommend The Island of Dr. Moreau? I watched the movie 20+ years ago, but don’t remember much beyond some mad scientist and monkey experimentation (maybe my memory is liberally filling in blanks though…).

1 Like

In the intro I’m sure the narrator states the book was written 125 years ago. Astounding really how HG has predicted the future and the dangers of cloning. I enjoyed it and will be looking to watch the film tonight if I can find it.:+1:

4 Likes

That interesting. I recently read the John Carter of Mars initial trilogy. It was also written super long ago. Interesting the ideas these authors came up with.

3 Likes

Just finished a novel by Neil Gaiman The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Really enjoyed it. Pure fantasy. Next for me My Dark Vanessa. I have a long list culled from this thread.

4 Likes

I ordered this today, has anyone read it?
Addiction to Perfection: The Still Unravished Bride: A Psychological Study by Marion Woodman | Goodreads

@Callie99 Possibly something you would be interested in reading. :heart: ( p.s. I miss you)

4 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion Stella :yellow_heart: I haven’t been reading much lately and need a good book.

And I miss you too :heart:

1 Like

I haven’t read that particular book, but I read quite a bit of her work when I was studying Transpersonal Psychology. Jungian philosophy/psychology definitely resonates for me. Archetypes, dreams, collective unconscious…a lot to dig into.

1 Like

I’d had a copy before but gave it away to a neighbor in a blackout maybe a decade or so ago. then they became very expensive to get. I hadn’t even known they were printing new editions but I stumbled on one at a bookstore and was psyched to snatch it up as he’s a fav lyricist of mine.

3 Likes

@Soberbilly, what did you think of My Dark Vanessa?

Am in a home state kind of mood, so I am re reading some of my old favorites…

The Cider House Rules by John Irving is once again a timely read.

☆☆☆☆

First published in 1985, The Cider House Rules is set in rural Maine in the first half of the twentieth century. The novel tells the story of Dr. Wilbur Larch—saint and obstetrician, founder and director of the orphanage in the town of St. Cloud’s, ether addict and abortionist. This is also the story of Dr. Larch’s favorite orphan, Homer Wells, who is never adopted.

And…

'Salem’s Lot by the master himself, Stephen King. Scared the heck out of me when it was first published. His character development, much like John Irving’s, is immense and he knows Maine folk. One of my #1 favorites.

☆☆☆☆☆

2 Likes

What timing! Just glanced at my “to read” list, and just wasn’t feeling all that enthusiastic about anything. Im gonna get salems lot :+1::cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

I just finished The Emotionally Absent Mother by Jasmin Lee Cori. It took me two months but felt very cathartic in the end. Highly recommended for anyone doing inner child/mother work. Phew!

Now on to something fun. I think I’ll start Gloria Steinman’s My Life on the Road. I think empowerment is in order. :books::heart:

3 Likes

I am about 50 pages in and thoroughly hooked. Kate Russell is a talented writer. The subject matter is intriguing to me. Thanks for recommending. And I think John Irving is one of the best authors I have read. Didn’t read Cider House Rules but read Garp first,blew me away,A Prayer for Owen Meany ,The Hotel New Hampshire,Avenue of Mysteries, Last Night in Twisted River and A Widow for One Year. All are brilliant. I have loved books my entire life. Mostly novels but in recovery non- fiction as well.

3 Likes

I am a huge John Irving fan as well. I can still ‘hear’ Owen Meaney TALKING SO LOUD ALL THE TIME! Garp is an amazing book and well done movie. Cider House is a great book…rough subject matter. I will re read Hotel New Hampshire now that you mention it.

My Dark Vanessa is beautifully written for sure. I wish the author had more books out. We shall wait.

I am a reader as well. I used to get notes back from the librarian when I was a kid, asking me not to eat while I read…crumb leaver. I still have that habit…but get my library books via Libby and Overdrive, so no crumbs or food smudges!

1 Like

I don’t know if Virginie Despentes is well known outside my french borders… she writes in the vein of Bukowski, Fante, Selby, this kind of in your face literature you know. Anyway I’m in the middle of her Vernon Subutex trilogy right now, and it’s as great as usual
61+kRzmBH3L.AC_SY780

2 Likes

On my list as well

I just started Louise Penny’s The Madness of Crowds. It’s a good detective story but mostly it just makes me want to travel to Canada.

1 Like

Lama lama red pajama

2 Likes