Any Avid Readers Here? What are you currently reading?

I’m really enjoying My Dark Vanessa. Hope the author has more books in her. Now I feel the need to read Lolita. Only saw the classic film directed by Kubrick.

4 Likes

I haven’t read Lolita either, I am adding to the list.

I just ordered FairyTale by Stephen King.

I see John Irving has a new book coming out!!

3 Likes

Currently reading:

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. One of my favorite books

Night of the Grizzlies by Jack Olsen. A true story about Grizzly Bear attacks in Glacier Park, Montana

How we die by Sherwin Nuland. A collection of true short stories about people dieing and how theyve come to terms with it

Sandman by Neil Gaiman. My favorite comic series. Havent watched the Netflix series yet but hoping its good.

5 Likes

Thanks for the John Irving heads up. Have read a lot of S. KING

2 Likes

My son read the Sandman series + recommended the Netflix series. Glad he did it was really good. Last book I read was The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Gaiman. Very good. Chuck Palahniuk a favorite of mine. Great writer,sick mind.

I’m listening to Fairytale on Audible during my work commute- it’s really good so far!

3 Likes

I recently finished

The Kingdoms of Savannah. It was a good mystery

And right now I’m loving the novel

Girls Burn Brighter by Shobha Rao

2 Likes

Wow….a little over halfway through Infinite Jest at this point.

Last time it was read I was just starting my tango with substances. The darkness of addiction wasn’t really on my radar (just a very toxic seed waiting to be watered inside me). The sections of this book that detail addiction and recovery and AA were great to me, but from like…a nice literary standpoint. Reading it again close to five years sober and I am bowled over by Foster Wallace’s nuanced, internal and personal depiction of addiction, depression and obsession. I really cannot get over how much I am loving this book. :heart:

2 Likes

Completed Octavia Butler’s Parable of the Sower - really good. But so scary in terms of prescient feelings for recent political/social landScape. Gulp! Next up is Parable of the Talents. Hope I can handle it knowing the author passed before completing trilogy

5 Likes

I am only listening to the audiobook but it is overwhelming me.

5 Likes

Good overwhelming or bad overwhelming?

1 Like

Interesting overwhelming. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

9k=(1)

I’m not too far in, but from some of the interviews Icke has given recently, I think this one will be of a more esoteric nature than some of his other books.

It got bumped up on my reading list because he recorded an audio version, and I can listen while doing other things.

2 Likes

Completed Octavia E. Butler’s Parable of the Talents. Awesome duology. I’m so glad I read her works. Can anyone recommend more authors like her?

2 Likes

Started this today…big fan of her work…

But will likely put aside while I read this that I picked up at the library today…it has been awhile since I read Anne Tyler.

And had to have this one…ordered it…

8 Likes

They are the perfect escape IMHO. :heart:

1 Like

Gmorning DM, I Loved Ready Player One the movie and wanted to ask your thoughts- Is Book One and Two a combination that made for the movie or did they leave out a lot and in reading both would make for a new experience? I know good books made into movies always create an epic stand-alone experience, but wondering how much made it into the movie if you saw it?

1 Like

Im liking the look of that.

1 Like

5 Likes

“Il birraio di Preston” (“The brewer of Preston”) by an Italian writer I like. It’s easy lit, but I like the atmosphere and the simplicity. Nothing banal, though.
Camilleri wrote a series of novels “starring” Salvo Montalbano, a Sicilian police inspector. Great for when you’re on vacation or travelling. The problem is that the language - Italian mixed with a bit of the sicilian dialect and also the Camilleri’s sicilian - is one of the aspects that make these books interesting and fun, and that is lost in translations to other languages.

2 Likes