Any Avid Readers Here? What are you currently reading?

I’ve been a big reader for a long time. Mostly horror/history/sci-fi stuff. I dont know who all is interested, but post what you’re reading right now.

The Only Good Indians
Stephen Graham Jones

41dsNanQm-L

3 Likes

I’m an avid reader, and while I definitely enjoy a good sci-fi or fantasy, I mostly read non-fiction. I’m currently reading:

“The three waves of volunteers and the new earth,” by Dolores Cannon

And I just started “21 lessons for the 21st century,” by Yuval Noah Harari, so I can discuss each chapter with a friend every Sunday.

3 Likes

I don’t think I could be classed as an avid reader but I enjoy reading when I make time for it. Got a couple of books on the go at the moment that I am slowly plodding my way through.

The Mabinogion (Evangeline Walton version) and Braiding Sweetgrass (Robin Wall Kimmerer)

4 Likes

I’m slowly working my way through these two, hard work for sure, but I feel a lot of gratitude while reading them.

7 Likes

8 Likes

I’ve wanted to read The Gulag Archipelago, but have not talked to anyone who has read it. How far in are you? Would you recommend it?

2 Likes

I’m about a third of the way through. It’s devastating as you would expect, a painful read, but also an incredible work. I’ve had it a while but was genuinely nervous to read it given the horrendous subject matter. If you’re inclined to read it you definitely should. I can already tell that its going to be one of the most important books I have ever read.

3 Likes

Thank you for giving me your take on it. I can admit that I haven’t rushed to read it because I know it will be a difficult read, but perhaps it’s about time I pick it up.

2 Likes

Currently reading the new Jack Ryan Jr novel from Tom Clancy while I wait on a copy of Fair Warning the new Jack McEvoy novel from Michael Connelly.
If youre into sci-fi books I recently finished the Gimnoir Chronicals series by Larry Correra called Hard Magic. Its really good. It centers around powered people (think XMen) in post World War 2 era. From the very beginning I was impressed with how descriptive the writing was and think the series would make and excellent film series.

3 Likes

Love everything from comics to classics like Moby Dick. I range in different areas and genres as long as it is good. Books to help expand my mind and understand my world better too. Currently reading 4 depending on my mood. Some for relaxing, some for opening my mind, some for preparing for any unforseen issues with my new teenage daughter.

4 Likes
2 Likes

I used to be an avid reader. Since I became a mum, that went out the window. I miss it very much. I’ve been working from home lately as I need to be home with little guy. That meant making up extra time working evenings & weekends for what I missed during day but now I’m back in office and I picked up a book from the library. One of the recommendations from a lovely sober friend on here. Hoping I can have time on break at work to read :blush:

7 Likes

I am avid reader. I just finished The Return and also Sea Wife…both I enjoyed.

Also reading…

6 Likes

Jordan Peterson 12 rules to life, an antidote to chaos

6 Likes

Great idea for a thread! I’m an avid reader when I’m sober…another reason I’m glad I quit drinking. Right now I’m re-reading The Sea Hunters and The Sea Hunters 2, by Clive Cussler.

I just finished Signing Their Lives Away which is about the founding fathers who signed the Declaration of Independence. Before that I read Fortitude by Dan Crenshaw.

1 Like

I don’t know if I would say I’m an “avid” reader but I am taking advantage of COVID shutdowns to read as much as I can.

So far for 2020 I’ve been making my way through two book series (I go back and forth between the two so I don’t get bored with them).

1. Louise Penny - Inspector Gamache series
  2. Ian Hamilton - Ava Lee series
2 Likes

All The Light We Cannot See is currently on my Kobo waiting for me to get to.

4 Likes

This book is awesome, thanks for recommending

2 Likes

I don’t read much because of the type of job I do , but I do listen to a lot of audio books , here are a few … Death World by Harry Harrison ( sci- fi ) space prison ( sci-fi ) the colors of space ( sci-fi ) dimension X & X-1 ( both old time radio classics from the 1940s& 1950s )… Detective Richard diamond ( old time radio classic show from the 40s & 50s) those are just a few … If you are interested in free audio books ( some books you have to buy ) download the LibriVox audio book app … That’s where I get all my audio books from

3 Likes

Reading is something I just can’t enjoy. 45 years old and probably can count on one hand how many books I actually read cover to cover. Recently tried Podcasts and signed up for audiobooks but haven’t tried yet.

2 Likes