Any Avid Readers Here? What are you currently reading?

I’ve been a big reader for a long time. Mostly horror/history/sci-fi stuff. I dont know who all is interested, but post what you’re reading right now.

The Only Good Indians
Stephen Graham Jones

41dsNanQm-L

20 Likes

I’m an avid reader, and while I definitely enjoy a good sci-fi or fantasy, I mostly read non-fiction. I’m currently reading:

“The three waves of volunteers and the new earth,” by Dolores Cannon

And I just started “21 lessons for the 21st century,” by Yuval Noah Harari, so I can discuss each chapter with a friend every Sunday.

10 Likes

I don’t think I could be classed as an avid reader but I enjoy reading when I make time for it. Got a couple of books on the go at the moment that I am slowly plodding my way through.

The Mabinogion (Evangeline Walton version) and Braiding Sweetgrass (Robin Wall Kimmerer)

5 Likes

I’m slowly working my way through these two, hard work for sure, but I feel a lot of gratitude while reading them.

17 Likes

I’ve wanted to read The Gulag Archipelago, but have not talked to anyone who has read it. How far in are you? Would you recommend it?

3 Likes

I’m about a third of the way through. It’s devastating as you would expect, a painful read, but also an incredible work. I’ve had it a while but was genuinely nervous to read it given the horrendous subject matter. If you’re inclined to read it you definitely should. I can already tell that its going to be one of the most important books I have ever read.

7 Likes

Thank you for giving me your take on it. I can admit that I haven’t rushed to read it because I know it will be a difficult read, but perhaps it’s about time I pick it up.

3 Likes

Currently reading the new Jack Ryan Jr novel from Tom Clancy while I wait on a copy of Fair Warning the new Jack McEvoy novel from Michael Connelly.
If youre into sci-fi books I recently finished the Gimnoir Chronicals series by Larry Correra called Hard Magic. Its really good. It centers around powered people (think XMen) in post World War 2 era. From the very beginning I was impressed with how descriptive the writing was and think the series would make and excellent film series.

6 Likes

Love everything from comics to classics like Moby Dick. I range in different areas and genres as long as it is good. Books to help expand my mind and understand my world better too. Currently reading 4 depending on my mood. Some for relaxing, some for opening my mind, some for preparing for any unforseen issues with my new teenage daughter.

10 Likes
3 Likes

I used to be an avid reader. Since I became a mum, that went out the window. I miss it very much. I’ve been working from home lately as I need to be home with little guy. That meant making up extra time working evenings & weekends for what I missed during day but now I’m back in office and I picked up a book from the library. One of the recommendations from a lovely sober friend on here. Hoping I can have time on break at work to read :blush:

19 Likes

I am avid reader. I just finished The Return and also Sea Wife…both I enjoyed.

Also reading…

10 Likes

Jordan Peterson 12 rules to life, an antidote to chaos

8 Likes

Great idea for a thread! I’m an avid reader when I’m sober…another reason I’m glad I quit drinking. Right now I’m re-reading The Sea Hunters and The Sea Hunters 2, by Clive Cussler.

I just finished Signing Their Lives Away which is about the founding fathers who signed the Declaration of Independence. Before that I read Fortitude by Dan Crenshaw.

2 Likes

I don’t know if I would say I’m an “avid” reader but I am taking advantage of COVID shutdowns to read as much as I can.

So far for 2020 I’ve been making my way through two book series (I go back and forth between the two so I don’t get bored with them).

1. Louise Penny - Inspector Gamache series
  2. Ian Hamilton - Ava Lee series
3 Likes

All The Light We Cannot See is currently on my Kobo waiting for me to get to.

6 Likes

This book is awesome, thanks for recommending

2 Likes

I don’t read much because of the type of job I do , but I do listen to a lot of audio books , here are a few … Death World by Harry Harrison ( sci- fi ) space prison ( sci-fi ) the colors of space ( sci-fi ) dimension X & X-1 ( both old time radio classics from the 1940s& 1950s )… Detective Richard diamond ( old time radio classic show from the 40s & 50s) those are just a few … If you are interested in free audio books ( some books you have to buy ) download the LibriVox audio book app … That’s where I get all my audio books from

4 Likes

Reading is something I just can’t enjoy. 45 years old and probably can count on one hand how many books I actually read cover to cover. Recently tried Podcasts and signed up for audiobooks but haven’t tried yet.

5 Likes

i just finished these two:

• where the crawdads sing by delia owens: young girl cast out of society and her family, fends for herself in the swap and falls in love with fishing boy, but pushes him away. now young woman, she gets publishing deal for her illustrations of wildlife and plants. young man goes missing and they try to pin it on her because the two briefly dated. court room drama ensues. i thought it was an incredible book and eventual film or mini series as reese witherspoon picked it up.
  • the bluest eye by toni morrison: stories unfold of various people interconnected in ohio and the south. all around tragedy with sexual abuse and alcoholism throughout. there is not a shred of happiness in the entire book. i felt like i needed a heavy dose of therapy afterwards. i did not like it.

just started last night:

• the water dancer by ta-nehisi coates: so far, its beautifully written. but only about 5% in.
8 Likes