Any Avid Readers Here? What are you currently reading?

I just picked this book up I love it so far. Sorry if this is not appropriate it’s just what I’m reading right now thought I’d share

7 Likes

Have you read Factotum? That is probably my favorite from Bukowski. I also liked Post Office a lot. I know what you mean about possibly feeling triggered by his writing. But from what I remember he does a pretty good job of talking about the negative consequences from his drinking or Maybe I was reading between the lines.I haven’t read Hollywood. I will have to see if that is at the bookstore next time I go.

2 Likes

I don’t know if I’ve read Factotum but I really liked Post Office and everything else I’ve read by him. I used to read a Bukowski when I felt out of control with my drinking so I’ve read a few. I’ll add Factotum to my list.

2 Likes

You guys know SK is a recovery addict right? It pops up lots in his books. Makes for
a comfortable experience reading him, for me personally. Read the first part of “On writing” for his account of his addiction.

6 Likes

Tried for I think the third time to get to a Richard Powers book. I just can’t. He reminds me of how I used to want to write as a teenager. Just too much fluff and too many alliterations. And I say that as a lover of rhymes and alliterations and all that stuff. I defo have a soft spot for cheese.

Anyway. Giving Dani Shapiro Inheritance a go thanks to inspiration from this thread! :purple_heart::boar:

How do you guys devide between audiobooks and actual reading? I feel like if it matters to me, I wanna read the book. If I’m just trying it out or it might not be a life transforming experience but I still want to enjoy it, I’ll listen. You guys do that?

3 Likes

Your book is absolutely appropriate for this thread @Jftself . :slightly_smiling_face:

Love On Writing @Faugxh . When my husband and I were into the coke and one of us would nose bleed, we would call it an SK moment…ala clean up your mess, him typing away with qtips shoved up his nose…addicts. Also love how he weaves the generational addiction from The Shining thru Doctor Sleep.

I am also a Bukowski fan @trustybird @bluekoolaid , tho I need to re read now with sober eyes and mind and see how he reads with that clarity?!?

5 Likes

I know it’s been a minute since you posted this. I just started it and I have to read it in little doses. Though his addiction story is quite different than mine, some of the residual life experience, little and big t trauma are really tough for me. He and I are the same age and I think our parents are the same people. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I use a small notebook to keep track of what I’ve read, but I use Letterboxd to keep track of films. Maybe because it’s easier on Letterboxd to skip reviews or only see reviews from friends.

1 Like

I don’t listen to many audiobooks, maybe 10 in my life, but always have an ebook on my phone to read on my dinner break at work and maybe before bed.

Oddly enough while I was studying for my recent professional exam I listen to 7 Neil Gaiman audio books. His voice was the background to my study time and eventual success. I contemplated writing him a thank you card. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Something to gnaw on for the evening…

9 Likes

I needed something a little lighter after Demon Copperhead :sweat_smile:

I might read Signal Fires next, sounds interesting! Anyone read Tomorrow, Tomorrow and Tomorrow? Keeps popping up as a must read from last year.

5 Likes

My gf just sent me this same pic! :laughing:

1 Like

IIRC, there was one of his books (Cujo? Christine? I can’t remember which) he says he has no memory of ever writing it because he was so deep in his addiction.

Edit: just Googled it. It was “Cujo”.

2 Likes

I’m reading Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow right now as an ebook and it is lovely.

It’s immersive with lots of video game verbiage and I’m not a gamer. Very ambient and makes me want to re-read The Goldfinch for some reason. This could not have been a more vague review but I really like it. :face_with_hand_over_mouth::blush:

5 Likes

Oooh noice. Might pick it up, my husband might like it too :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Mungo thunk by Keith Pearson. It’s funny relatable quirky and I just couldn’t put it down. Would recommend :blush:

2 Likes

I read that this summer on vacation after a Barnes and Noble employee recommended it! I too am not a gamer…I’m almost towards anti video game and…I loved it! A great book about friendship, creative pursuits and what we hold back in life :heart:

3 Likes

7 Likes

And beautifully written. Lots of thoughtful words. :heart:

Omg, I don’t want to Signal Fires to end.

"The stars, rather than appearing distant and implacable, seemed to be signal fires in the dark, mysterious fellow travelers lighting a path; one hundred thousand million luminous presences beckoning from worlds away. See us. We are here. We have always been here. We will always be here.

As Ben takes his first sip of his last cup of coffee in this house, he thinks of Whitman’s lines, from ‘Song of Myself’ – his favorite passage from his favorite poet:

I bequeath myself to the dirt to grow from the grass I love,
If you want me again look for me under your boot-soles.
You will hardly know who I am or what I mean,
But I shall be good health to you nevertheless,
And filter and fibre your blood.
"

Breathtaking!!!

Oh wow, edited to add…and then the story turned to one of the characters being in recovery…!!!

Final add…

Do yourself a favor and read this book. I cried, it was so beautiful.

Signal Fires by Dani Shapiro. :heart:

2 Likes