Any Avid Readers Here? What are you currently reading?

Do you use the Libby app at all? I checked it out on there. That’s where I get all my audio and ebooks from. I have family and friends in bigger cities that let me put their library card info into the app so I have access to more books from bigger libraries.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I googled the app and found info that it works with the London library, but couldn’t find anything about the rest of UK. But I do have an audible subscription. I do love audiobooks :heart:

1 Like

I am a big Libby fan. Just finished The Lake Shore Limited by Sue Miller. I thought it was a new book of hers (I enjoy her books), but just realized it is from 2010. Took a bit to engage me, but by midway, I was in thrall. And there were a few sections that took my breath away. Life, marriage, love, grief.

1 Like

Just started and so far I love it.

7 Likes

I loved it! I really like Holly, I feel like I connect with her.

2 Likes

This book makes me want to get trapped in an elevator with Stephen King. I bet we’d get along. That opening scene is nuts!

3 Likes

He’d be my “if you could meet any celebrity” choice. The only book I’ve read of his so far that I haven’t absolutely loved was Fairytale- I still enjoyed it but it was different.

1 Like

I don’t love his dragon fantasy stuff and I haven’t read Fairy Tale probably for that reason. His dark and creepy keeps me up at night. I can vividly picture scenes from his books years after I’ve read them.

3 Likes

I’m reading Riley Sager, The Only One Left. I think it’s crossover horror thriller (Riley wrote The Final Girl). It’s my first one by him and I’m really enjoying it, great atmosphere and set up NE USA. Recommend.

5 Likes

I tried reading The Gunslinger by Stephen King. I finished it, but it was not good. Are there actually good Stephen King books out there? What should I have read instead?

4 Likes

I read Gerald’s Game when I was probably much too young but there are scenes in that book that my sisters and I reference when we have nightmares.
Different Seasons was my first read of his and has the premise for Stand By Me and Apt Pupil in it. I’ve re-read that book a few times. I stick to the ones where he discusses the horrors of humanity rather than magical beings. Carrie, Misery etc.

4 Likes

@Sunflower1
I too love this man and his beautiful mind. Not a fan of the fantasy but it’s readable. My favorite are thinner, misery, pet cemetery and needful things

Told my aunt how he has to sleep with a nightlight or all lights on and doors open. This tidbid helped her get through her recent health issues.

My sister’s inlaws were in Maine and got to see his house …zoom in close…that’s a wicked totem pole (think that’s what you would call it).

9 Likes

I fell out of love with Stephen King about 20 years ago. After reading a handful of his books, I realised that they’re all the same.

Also I stopped finishing books I am not really invested in. There are more good books out in the world than I’ll ever be able to read. So no point wasting my time on something that doesn’t hit the spot 100%.

Win - Harlan Coben was one of my recent favourites.

4 Likes

@JazzyS it’s toward off evil spirits.

2 Likes

OOOH - thank you love – that is even cooler now! Of course he would have that! :heart:

2 Likes

Turns out this is not the book my book club is actually reading this turn, but it’s what I thought we were on :joy: anyhow I’m glad because I’m really enjoying it :cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

I finished Holly, it IS horrifying, and started a non-fiction book called Group by Christie Tate. It’s about the author’s experience with group therapy for healing shame, bulimia, perfectionism and other traits.

So far my favorite line is “you don’t need a cure, you need a witness”.
I’m still up at almost 5 am reading because I think I needed to read that. Thanks for being my witnesses all. :heart: Sober folk rule.

5 Likes

Group sounds interesting!!

I picked up a copy of Holly, looking forward to some old school King.

2 Likes

You could try any of these oldies…Misery, Salem’s Lot, The Shining, Carrie or Salem’s Lot. All classic King. The Gunslinger series was a big departure for him, not a favorite of mine.

Rita Hayworth and The Shawshank Redemption is a great short story.

4 Likes

This covers a lot of ground on American life and marriage and algorithms and growing up and so much more.

4 Likes