Any binge eaters out there

I have had a very un healthy relationship with food for much longer than I’ve had one with alcohol. This one is like a never ending plague. Anyone else have problem with this?

3 Likes

A long time ago, I adopted the attitude of “The meal isn’t over until you hate yourself”, and that has evolved into “I don’t know if I lift so I can eat, or I eat because I lift?”

If we’re out to breakfast, I’ll order enough to feed two. Dinner? I’m ordering an app for myself, plus a meal, and probably finishing whatever my girlfriend doesn’t eat. If I’m at Taco Bell, forget it. My normal order there is some value meal, two more burritos, and two more tacos. I always order a second different drink, so they don’t think it’s all for me.

With fast food, I NEVER eat inside, because of the amount of food I’m ordering. I’ll eat in the parking lot, and then stop at a gas station on the way home and toss my trash. I’ll order extra to eat on the way home if I’m grabbing food for us, and leave those wrappers in the car. If we’re out with friends, I try to keep it cool, but almost always stop on the way home for something else afterwards.

It’s something I’ve been trying to make progress on, but it’s really hard.

5 Likes

I’m not at the same point myself, but I have definitely noticed I’m eating larger meals in my sobriety. I’ve also gained 10 lbs in the last 3 months - also my first 3 month period sober - which is more than I’ve gained in 6 years. I think there’s probably a connection.

I’ve been reflecting recently on how my self-image is related to my thoughts about my body. Maybe I’m more than just a measure of calories, carbs, and pounds, and - if I am - then I want to understand what I get from eating. What is my relationship with food? Why? And what are my goals beyond food and weight? (And do I want those goals? What can I do, sustainably, to reach them?)

I don’t have answers to any of these questions :joy: - but I’m happy to hear this discussion here, and to read from you guys too. Thanks for opening the thread @Acall111484 :innocent:

4 Likes

I totally get the idk if I lift so I can eat! Thank you for sharing. Sometimes with things like this one can feel very alone.

1 Like

I have always had trouble limiting myself. But yes I agree, I feel when I’m not drinking the desire to eat can be much more intense.

Yes, diagnosed with disordered eating, so same symptoms, but less frequency of bulimia. And recently can’t be bothered to purge, so just binge. Clearly connected to my cycle too, so 3 weeks of careful eating is undone with a 3 day binge at pms time.

2 Likes

Hi there, just downloaded this app for the first time! So amazing to have this chat started. I suffer from Binge eating disorder (B.E.D.), used to have bulimia (exercise bulimia) but that turned into full fledged B.E.D - where I’m in the food 24/7 :sob:

2 Likes

My ed and alcohol started at the same time. 13, I am now 48, I’ll be 49 next month. Alcohol is by far easier to quit. I may relapse often, but I usually squeeze in 6+ months of sobriety. Longest I’ve done with ed is 29 days. No words of wisdom, but it’s something that should be taken seriously and I don’t think good help exists for it.

1 Like

anytime you want a chat let me know, it won’t be a trigger bc I’ve already shot myself in the foot. it’s not coincidence we just got talking and both relapsed, those little :paw_prints::paw_prints: could mean it’s time we walk this path together, I’m a huge believer in fate.

Thank you. Ik a lot of us could use the support!

1 Like

I used to, and still do, have issues with binging, and as a result, developed bulimia as a way to take control over my changing body. When I went into rehab a few months ago -because it was a facility focused on teens with any issues(not just substance)- they helped me deal with my issues, and now I’m 20 days clean from abusing food for comfort. If you need any tips, I’d say steer clear of any diets or placing any rules on yourself. Binging makes us feel guilty which makes us try to cut down, which makes us feel guilty when we slip up, and as a result binge. It’s a painful cycle with no easy solve, but the best advice I’ve ever gotten is when my nurse told me “it’s not really about taking control as soon as possible, you’ll only get better if you learn to be kind to yourself when you slip up”

4 Likes

I do as well. started years ago out of the blue, knowing now a result of starving myself for years being undernourished and doing way to much sport. I thought it was related to alcohol. but when I stopped drinking for years it only got worse. Still trying to get the pain underneath in my consious brain to heal. I had results from the hospital. The binging destroid my intestines and due to which my nerves. I will never be out of pain again and damage is not reversible. I need to take a look at the stress from the past and deal with it. no other option now. no way out in sports etc…
tips? no dieting, no restricting an controling as @No.day.but.today also said. try and be gentle and on the physical part nourish!! maybe blood test if needed to find out where you lack and give the body what it needs.
I also came across the Brain Over Binge book and podcast. very helpfull!

3 Likes

I read so many threads regards to eating and sugar it doesn’t matter either if it was drugs and or alcohol most ppl seem to grab for food or sugar so for me I binge est I grab for sugar but I also know I need to lose 20 llbs it pissed me off as it’s like my addict brain but with food rrrrhhhhh I put it on my long list of addicted behaviours :confused:

1 Like

Used to do this. Now I eat the serving size and stay away from sugar without even thinking twice.

Once I allowed myself to eat what I wanted and not beat myself up I stopped objectifying food and binging on it.

2 Likes

Yes. Completely. For me it’s my addict nature.
It was binge eating firstly and then I added alcohol.

Then it became a relationship/sex and my appearance/clothes etc so I cut the food. But I looked ‘great’ so it was ok…and I got addicted to that validation and my ego got out of control.

Now i have cut the alcohol and the relationship/sex…

The binge eating is back :smirk:

Need to apply the steps and programme to this too I guess…

Powerless. My actions, my thinking, my feelings.

Connection/spiritual solution.

2 Likes

I binged yest for the first time since I wrote this post so kinda of a good stretch for me. Had a rough day emotionally. New day new opportunity. Have a wonderful Monday all.

5 Likes

Day 35 Alamos complete, its been a bit of a hard day but I’ve pulls through so I’m Jud gonna have an early night, bye,

Day 37 of being sober, judt checking in, have a blessed Sunday everyone.