Any good books about addiction?

I love to read and would love to own a great book that deals with addiction. Do you have any recommendations?

5 Likes

Allen Car easy way to stop drinking i found super helpful, hope you are ok :heart:

5 Likes

Hi, I have just finished reading the unexpected joy of being sober by Catherine Gray. I found a lot of the way her brain/thoughts worked are very similar to how I was. It explains all about trying to stop and all the thoughts about doing things sober, like social occasions including weddings, funerals, birthday parties. Basically doing everything that used to include drinking and how it was very daunting and anxiety causing but she soon got past that and realised everything was still enjoyable sober if not better!!

5 Likes

Youā€™d be home now by Kathleen Glasgow.

I love that book. Book is written from side of sister of addicted brother and itā€™s actually interesting how someone sees addiction problem from other, their side.

2 Likes

This might be good for my mum. Although she has smoked for 60 years she says she doesnā€™t understand why I would feel the need to drink all day every day for weeks at a time. Itā€™s like she thinks smoking is ok but not drinking.

2 Likes

I liked ā€˜quit like a womanā€™ ā€˜we are the luckiestā€™ and ā€˜blackoutā€™. I like a good memoir tho :blush:

3 Likes

Dopamine Nation by Anna Lembke
Make you understand what is an addiction. Great great book

4 Likes

The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous

4 Likes

there are several book threads on recovery literatur. use the search function to search for keywords.

2 Likes

I am an avid reader as well and over the years have read a ton. Some are sobriety / recovery memoirs, some quit lit, etc.

3 Likes

Oh, wow, thank you so much! I think someone else recommended Quit Like a Woman, so Iā€™ll have to check it out. Thank you!

3 Likes

Havent read any others but yes Quit Like A Woman is absolutely amazing!

3 Likes

Alcohol Explained
Alcohol Lied to Me
This Naked Mind

3 Likes

Drink: The Intimate Relationship Between Women and Alcohol.

Best recovery book Iā€™ve read. Itā€™s about half memoir and half science.

5 Likes

The naked mind helped me. I have listened to the audio book version multiple times.

3 Likes

ā€œGirl Walks out of a Barā€
ā€œRecoveryā€ by Russell Brand
ā€œRunning Ransom Roadā€
ā€œFinding Ultraā€
(About the first third of it is about addictionā€¦the rest is about what he did once he regained his life back in sobriety)

4 Likes

Loved this one.

3 Likes

Oh manā€¦me TOO! I audibled thisā€¦andā€¦I saw so so much of myself in her. In fact: itā€™s making me think that I might go back and give this another listen! Fair warning to those reading: there are detailed accounts of drug and alcohol abuseā€¦so skip if you are triggered by talking about them :heart:

3 Likes

I found this book to be great too!

1 Like

I think I have read it twice so far, I may also give it another read as frankly I have read so many over a decade and they do blur. I am checking my Kindle now!

1 Like