Any horror movie fans?

:joy: loved it

2 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty cool, but it might freak me out if I happened to see it in a grocery store or someplaceā€¦! :open_mouth:

1 Like

A sober horror power couple, no less!

All of the other actors in Midnight Mass did a great job too, though. One that really resonated with me was Rileyā€™s dad. Although it could have been because he kept playing Neil Diamond recordsā€“like my own dad used to!

Also on a musical note, am I the only one who kept getting flashes of Nick Cave from Hamish Linklaterā€™s portrayal of Father Paul/Monsignor Pruittā€¦? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Had to delete my last post so that I could post again (apparently it is not permitted to post more than three times in a row). Sorry for totally spamming this threadā€¦ :cold_sweat:

Well, over the past few days Iā€™ve watched a few more horror movies (surprise, surprise). Wonder if any else has seen any of these?

Orphan: First Killā€”thought this was pretty good. I donā€™t think I liked it as much as the first one, but like the first one, it has a really excellent plot twist.

Session 9 from 2001ā€”Iā€™d actually seen this before, but couldnā€™t really remember it. This has a cool dark atmosphere and an excellent strange musical score.

Eyeballā€”a 1976 Italian giallo directed Umberto Lenzi. Entertaining enough, but not a particularly great example of the genre in my opinion. Really dumb plot.

The Childā€”a microbudget b-movie from 1977. Unintentionally surreal on almost every level.

The Atticus Instituteā€”a 2015 possession film that is presented as a faux documentary (like you might see on Netflix or something). Some great ideas, but it didnā€™t quite deliver in its execution, in my opinion. Not bad though, Some pretty creepy moments.

The Clovehitch Killerā€”from 2018. I watched this last night, and it was really interesting. Itā€™s kind of like The Wonder Years with a serial killer or something. I thought it was marred by some massive plot holesā€”especially at the end, but it was still pretty good. Thereā€™s no blood or gore, but I think it is one of the most unsettling depictions of a serial killer that I have seen in a movie.

2 Likes

Appreciate your recommendations ā€¦now youll be able to post more

1 Like

The horror continues! (As does my relentless monopolization of this threadā€¦ :sweat_smile:)

Saw a ton of stuff last week. Too many to mention really, but here are some highlights:

Martin (1977) ā€“ finally got to see this early film by George Romero. An unusual modern take on a vampire film. Pretty dark and disturbing.

Beau is Afraid ā€“ Couldnā€™t wait for the Japanese release next month, and, to be honest, I find the idea of watching a three-hour movie in a theatre a bit daunting these days, so I shelled out for an import blu-ray. Like many people, I am not sure what to make of this. I guess I like itā€”I have to at least admire the ambition. Itā€™s quite an amazing piece of work, but what is it exactly??! I guess it laid to rest my misconception that Ari Aster is some kind of ā€œnew hope for modern horror cinema,ā€ because itā€™s not really a horror film. I wonder if, now that heā€™s got Beau Is Afraid is out of his system, we might get something more grounded from him again?

ā€¦But I just read that his next movie is going to be a ā€œblack comedy fantasy filmā€ starring Nicholas Cage, so I guess not!

The Blackcoatā€™s Daughter (2015) ā€“ directed by Osgood Perkins (son of Psychoā€™s Anthony Perkins!) I thought this was absolutely fantastic. Along with Hereditary and The Witch, probably one of my favorite horror movies of the millennium so far. I wonā€™t say anything about the plot, because this is definitely one where the less you know about it beforehand, the better, but I would recommend it to anyone who likes creepy supernatural/occult type stories. This really got under my skin and stayed there a lot longer than I was comfortable with!

The Shining ā€“ the US version. This is one of my all-time favorites, so how on earth did I not know until last week that the US version of the film is almost 25 minutes longer than the international version that I am familiar with?! Anyway, when I discovered that, I instantly purchased a blu-ray of the US version to rectify the problem.

It was great to see the additional and extended scenes. Of particular note for this forum, Jackā€™s alcoholism is made much more explicit in the US version, whereas in the international version it is really only alluded to.

I will probably watch the longer cut any time I watch it the future, but if was watching it with someone who had never seen it before, I think I would put on the shorter international version, as, like many others (including Kubrick, apparently), I think it is the tighter and more impactful version of the film.

On a personal noteā€”I passed my fourth month sober last weekend. :love_you_gesture:

4 Likes

Nice job on the 4 months! Iā€™ve been meaning to post mine too. Iā€™ll probably just mention the good ones bc altogether there have been ALOT :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I watched Orphan: First Kill and thought it was pretty good. The twist was good as well!

I watched White Bone Lodge and it held the premise of a home invasion movie. It was ok, fairly entertaining. Easy watch for midweek.

After I saw Orphan: First Kill, I wanted to check out some of the directorā€™s other films. I watched Wer (a kind of found-footage werewolf movie) and Separation (a ghost story revolving around the theme of divorce and child custody), but, although they had interesting concepts, I didnā€™t think they were really any good.

He has also directed a movie called The Boy, which was pretty well received and also apparently hinges on a crazy plot twist, so Iā€™m looking forward to checking that one out too.

1 Like

Never heard of that, but it sounds interesting. I like films set in Scotland. :+1:

1 Like

Honestly, The Boy was meh. A good low budget independent film is Possum. Involves a creepy ass handmade puppet. You can buy/rent it on Amazon video if u wanna check it out

Well, after Wer and Separation, Iā€™m not setting my sights too high for The Boy. :sweat_smile:

Possum has been on my ā€œwant-to-watchā€ list for a while. I quite enjoyed the weird comedy show that Matthew Holness (the director of Possum) did back in the early 2000s called Garth Marenghiā€™s Darkplace. Unfortunately, in Japan the streaming services are a bit more limited than in the UK or US (for Western films anyway). If I want to see an indie film like Possum, Iā€™ll need to shell out for a DVD or blu-rayā€¦$$$

2 Likes

Watched Insidious: the red door last night.

Fairly ok but I got distracted a lot, so many similar storylines and films in this genre now. Takes a lot for one to stand up to scrutiny.

1 Like

I recently watched it too. The original was amazing! The 2nd was good too but youā€™re right, the others became a bit repetitive and too similar. I was less impressed as they went on.

3 Likes

You folks are brave. I can hike a mountain in the dark and run into bears. Spend days in isolation in the middle of the woods and love life.
You put a scary movie on and Iā€™m under the blankyā€¦ no way!

3 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more. I find the Blumhouse/jump-scare formula really dull for the most part.

1 Like

Just saw this last night. Great popcorn movie!
It kind of reminded me of the Deadpool movies in terms of its tone.
Apparently it bombed at the box office thoughā€“shame that it wasnā€™t better received.

4 Likes

I once had to run (well, not run, back away verrry slooowly) from a pair of very large, very aggressive semi-feral dogs while hiking alone in the Carpathian Mountains in Transylvania. Possibly the most frightening experience of my life.

Iā€™ll stick with the movies, thanks. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Just rewatched this. I really really like it

3 Likes