Any horror movie fans?

It was OK. It’s not a horror film though. I actually watched it by mistake–I had intended to watch a 2018 film called Searching, which was directed by Missing’s producer.

Missing, Searching, producer, director… it’s all very confusing for my old brain. :sweat:

1 Like

Thanks–will see if those are available here. I’m pretty much sick of Resident Evil, though! It’s really been milked to death. (An aside, but I actually know someone who did some of the graphics of RE 5.)

How about Alan Wake? Have you played that? I bought it on sale about a year ago, but have never even looked at it. Video games like that entail such a huge commitment of time that I never really play them anymore. I do like them though.

1 Like

Resident evil 7 is a fps, which make it an entire different game from the first 6. Same for the 8 Village, but it’s less scary (great game anyway).
I really recommend to give it a try (7) even if you’re bored by the saga.

Alan Wake was such an experience, brilliant. I want to do the sequel.

Callisto protocol was cool, not too scary but uncomfortable and gory, and very hard.

The Evil Within 2 was so good too. Visually astonishing, some parts are playing with physics and impossible landscape, I love that, hard game (the first one was too hard, the die and retry syndroma made me crazy).
I don’t know who create the bosses of these games, but they got quite an imagination ahah

Those are some games I enjoyed, but to each his own scare I imagine
Visage is not a long game, give it a try maybe.
Oh, I really liked The Blair witch project, especially the last part, crazy

I guess I need to actually get round to playing it then. I have a fairly long holiday coming up, so who knows…

Yeah. I actually finished the first one, but some parts were really frustrating. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

Just a small addition to this earlier discussion:

Not horror, but I just booked tickets for my daughter and I to go and see the new Godzilla vs. King Kong movie this weekend at a local cinema. I’ve watched one or two of the US Godzilla films with her before at home, but never in the theater, so I thought I had better check the age rating first.

It’s rated “G” here in Japan (that’s short for “General,” not “Godzilla” :wink:), which is the lowest rating, i.e., anyone can go and see it. I noticed, though, that it is rated PG-13 in the US. Just goes to show that the standards for these things are far from universally agreed upon.

4 Likes

The new movie from french directors Bustillo & Amaury is out in France. It’s called Le mangeur d’âmes (meaning The soul eater) and I really want to see it. But it’s playing like nowhere but Paris, good thing I’ll go there next week :metal:t2:
They made their debut with the infamous A l’interieur (Inside) in 2007. More recently Leatherface (didn’t liked it) and the pretty cool The Deep house.
2007/2008 we had Inside and Martyrs from my country, don’t know what went wrong as these two are so over the top :sweat_smile:
Alexandre Aja previously opened the way with his very brutal Haute Tension (High tension)

2 Likes

Martyrs was so disturbing!!

1 Like

Yes, I saw it once at the theater, once in blu ray and then promised myself to never see it again

1 Like

Have you seen switchblade romance? Another French horror I believe. Quite nasty!

1 Like

Yes, I thought it was called High Tension outside france. Haute Tension is the original title, my mistake.
It shocked us back then, there was barely no horror movies in France before this one. It kind of set the tone :sweat_smile:

The last very good french horror movie that I saw was Vermines (Infested in some countries). If you’re afraid of spiders it’s the one :scream: if you’re arachnophobic, just forget it

3 Likes

I am an arachnophobic quite badly, so I’ll skip it. Thanks!!

1 Like

They were pretty hardcore in terms of promotion when it came out, posters with spiders were all over Paris :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Bro play Outlast, the mortuary assistant, Alien Isolation, Until Dawn, ummm, I know I have more I just gotta check lol

Thanks for the recommendations. I played Until Dawn, but I don’t know the others.

Last night I had a look on the PS store and there was no sign of Madison, but I found Visage. It was reasonably inexpensive, so I bought it. Hope I can find the time to actually play it! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I have it on blu-ray, but I don’t know if I will ever re-watch it.
I guess I might put it on if someone I hate visits me or something… :wink:

2 Likes

That’s so awesome! A memory she’ll surely treasure :heart: I remember my dad taking me to see the remastered Star Wars in the theaters in the 90s. He’s definitely the reason for my love of sci-fi.

I grew up with the old old King Kong and Godzilla movies. They’re definitely a lot different now. I’ve noticed different ratings on the same movie in different countries too. I’ve also heard of some movies being changed depending on what certain countries do and don’t allow, which is interesting to me.

2 Likes

Oh I’ve heard Visage is amazing. I can’t wait until this semester is over so I can get back to gaming. If you like the Alien franchise of movies you will really love Alien isolation. It’s so tense and the AI is incredible.

2 Likes

Thanks for that–I’ll keep it in mind, but I only seem to actually play about one video game a year, so there’s a bit of a backlog… :sweat_smile:

The thing that swayed me to buy Visage is that it was apparently developed as a kind of “surrogate” for the cancelled Silent Hills video game (that was supposed to star Norman Reedus). The fact that it got cancelled after a really cool playable trailer for it had been released was a pretty cruel blow for us Silent Hill fans.

2 Likes

I was thinking about that a bit more, and I think that one possible reason Godzilla X Kong (or whatever it’s called) has such a lenient rating here is that, historically, Godzilla movies were generally aimed squarely at kids.

Interesting, but also frequently infuriating. Japan is particularly weird in that respect: any amount of violence is pretty much OK–even gratuitous sexual violence, but genitalia is–even to this day–a big no-no. Of course, it’s applied totally inconsistently, but it still just seems to represent an insane moral criteria to me.

Two films that I saw in the theater this month–First Omen and Infinity Pool–had scenes with mosaics or blurring censoring images of genitalia. I don’t particularly care one way or the other about nudity in fillms, but the censorship makes me furious. I paid to see the ****ing movie–not most of the movie! Give me my money back!

3 Likes

I didn’t know that mosaic blur was still a thing in Japan. It’s sad, and would make me crazy :sweat_smile:
One of my best friend, like you a horror movie fan (I was about to say horror movie freak but I’m not sure if it’s respectful), and huge Godzilla fan, told me it’s so ridiculous he laughed all the way :man_shrugging:t2:
I saw the japanese Godzilla minus one at the theater, I really liked it. A lot more mature, the storyline behind was great.

Last night I saw Barbarian, and really liked it. The movie surprised me all the times, couldn’t figure where it was going, and I had a few (jump) scares.
There are a few shots clearly inspired by horror fps video games, and it works

1 Like