Any horror movie fans?

@DylanL I recently watched High Tension again since I hadn’t seen it since it’s release. I really enjoy it too. Never heard of Cache, but I’m interested since we have similar tastes.

What I’ve heard of Martyrs intrigues me but I feel it might be best to skip it :sweat_smile:

@Pat_m This is true. There were other things that shocked me to the core, but for some reason it’s the gory scenes that are still burned on my retinas. I guess out of every aspect of horror, gore is the one thing that will still make me wince, but it’s gotta be pretty brutal.

5 Likes

Definitely. As Pat mentioned Michael Haneke has made some incredible movies. I recommend all of them. They deal with some very real things. Not necessarily horror but all they are absolutely horror/suspense. I know you would like Cache

2 Likes

One of my recent favorites is Annabella comes home. I like how it dives into a multitude of the familys cases.

2 Likes

Me and my partner love the Godzilla films!! Godzilla Minus One was a masterpiece and the black and white version is supposed to be even scarier! Godzilla X Kong: The New Empire was fun :blush:

2 Likes

Minus One was so good. I really want to watch the black and white version but it won’t be available in the UK :frowning:

1 Like

I didn’t know about this B&W version! I’m intrigued

1 Like

It was only released in Japan as far as I’m aware this January

https://screenrant.com/godzilla-minus-one-black-white-version-difference-explained-director/

1 Like

Yeah, but more like going on a fairground ride than watching a movie. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I watched The Blackening over the weekend. Fun, current, silly, but great humour. Pretty unusual horror film based around tropes of horror and society. I enjoyed it, watched it in the afternoon with a root beer. Giggled.

1 Like

Last night I watched the 1981 made-for-TV movie Dark Night of the Scarecrow–anyone seen it? It’s become something of a cult classic, and it was pretty cool for a TV movie. It deals quite skillfully with a lot of interesting themes.

From a sobriety perspective, it has a really subtle but (I think) accurate portrayal of of alcohol use as a kind of facilitator for people behaving badly–or even actually being evil. Like I said, it’s very subtle–booze is not central to the plot in any way, or ever explicitly mentioned, but it’s a constant lurking presence in the lives of the film’s villains. There always seems to be a bottle perched nearby them like some kind of demonic familiar.

On a personal note: I have not been doing great recently. I have drunk alcohol nearly every weekend for about the past two months–first it was just drinks with friends when I was out of the house (a “special occasion” I told myself), but then I drank at home a couple of times, and then this week I drank on three days. Last night I actually got pretty drunk.

Feeling pretty ashamed of myself. I can see now how the booze crept back into my life as soon I gave it an opening–gradually increasing in quantity until I was clearly headed back to the point I was at before I got sober. Like the charming vampires in the movies: even if you invite them into your home just once, you’re pretty much done for.

I’ve been going through some really bad relationship difficulties over the past two months, so I guess that fed into it too, but I can’t let that be an excuse. I really feel like I want to kick my own butt for being so weak and stupid.

Anyway. Here I am back on Day 1–hung over and full of remorse. :persevere:

4 Likes

I have a whole sleeve of still frames from the first 3 SAW movies and John Kramer on my chest guarding my heart. Definitely a horror movie fan. Emphasis on psychological thrillers that remind me that someone could always be watching me and my devinancy waiting to ask me to play a game!

3 Likes

Glad to see you back and giving it another go :blush: I really like the vampire analogy. Very true. Once you open that door, even just a crack, you never know when you’ll be able to close it again. I learned the hard way after acting on the thought of “It’s just one drink, what’s the worst that can happen?” Well, it was only 1 drink…the first day. Then three the next. By the 3rd day I had 15 and blacked out. Immediately back where I left off, and 3 more years of suffering before being able to close that door again.

I’m sorry you’re having a hard time in your relationship but, as I’m sure you know, adding alcohol to the mix will never make any situation better. It uses every trick in the book to convince you it will. The key is to remember it’s always lying. It took alot of trial and error on my part before finally believing that. When those lies sneak up on you, remember how you’re feeling right now. Every time. Keep that negative connection with you always.

I’m not sure if you’ve tried anything else, but staying sober takes more than just not drinking. I owe my life to this community for teaching me what recovery really is. Daily work. Find what works for you. All the best :pray:

4 Likes

I love horror movies!!! My favorite is probably Jaws

2 Likes

Well, it seems to make things better for about 30 minutes or so. That initial feeling of relief is what I am always chasing. It’s like flicking a switch that shuts off all the bad feelings immediately. But then I need to keep chasing it and chasing it, and, actually, just feeling worse and worse.

In my recent six-month stint of sobriety it was my love of movies that helped me. Submerging myself in the world of horror movies and proving to myself that I actually enjoy them more when I’m sober. For sure, it’s just another form of escapism–avoiding reality for a while, but better than the booze at least.

Thanks for the encouragement.

2 Likes

Yeah, you’d have to be a fan to get a tattoo like that! :+1:
Someone posted a photo of a pretty cool Saw tattoo earlier on in the thread:

(You need to click on the post to see it.)

2 Likes

Can’t go wrong with Jaws! Great summer flick!
:swimming_woman: :shark:

2 Likes

I rewatch the Deep house yesterday with my daughter, I think it’s pretty good. Very good atmosphere, very claustrophobic, cool cinematography, and an uncompromising end. It’s a pretty short and well balanced atmospheric movie.
Maury & Bustillo don’t make masterpieces but I like those guys. You can feel their passion in what they’re doing.

1 Like

Here’s my little friend - always have Billy with me :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

And here’s my child :rofl:

5 Likes

^ ^ ^ Always good to see a real horror maniac. Makes me feel almost normal. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry to hear about your relapse, I hope you are doing well getting back on track. These events sometimes help us define our intentions. Good luck.

1 Like