Any opioid addicts here?

I see mostly alcohol, but I am new. Alcoholism is a terrible disease, but it is not my monster. I’m a pill popper. I’ve made it six days, but the cravings and the mental torture it creates is overwhelming. I also struggle with despression and I’m bipolar. This is one of the worst struggles I’ve ever encountered. I’ve been reading some on this forum, and people seem to be functioning well. One of the problems with opioid addiction is when you don’t have it, functioning is out of the question. So, I’m wondering if anyone else is struggling with this addiction. How do you function? “Staying busy” is so much easier said than done. I feel immobile.

9 Likes

I had the same prob. Its going to be very hard. A support system is a must. Try finding local NA meetings. They made a huge difference for me at the beginning!! Stay strong, remind yourself why you can’t go back! Things will get better. Can’t say it will be easy but it will be worth it! Good luck on your path to recovery!

3 Likes

Im a heroin addict. I have 41 days clean today. Its gotten a little bit easier as time goes on, but you really really need to get yourself connected. NA meetings are the biggest thing keeping me clean. You may be uncomfortable in one at first, but that means youre growing. Go to a meeting and get a phone list. And make sure you use it! You never hesitate when you’re using to pick up the phone to call your dope dealer, so dont hesitate to pick up the phone and call someone in recovery when you’re struggling. It’ll help you so much. Also, as you get connected you’ll realize that there are so many fun things going on. Especially this time of year! Just stay strong. And when i first got clean, i put myself back into school to keep myself busy. Im only 20 so im going back to high school to get my diploma. And it helps a lot because im actually working towards something positive.

11 Likes

I’m proud and happy for you. Unfortunately, I live in a very rural area and there are only AA meetings and that is only once a week. I literally have to do most of this on my own, with zero support from anyone. Makes it tough. Thanks for responding.

1 Like

I’m also a opiate/heroin addict. Currently on day 3. Feeling pretty down. This is like the 100th time I’ve withdrawn myself and it never gets easier. I know what to expect but i hate it every time yet i go back. So dumb. I’m sick of beating myself up about all relapses and just move forward. It’s so hard picturing my life without it bc it’s been apart of my daily life for so long but its also the main factor in the things in my life that are f*cked up…it caused me to be in the situation im in…by my choice i know. I know its possible though, im glad i found this app.:purple_heart:

6 Likes

Have you looked into AA or NA meetings online? And get yourself an NA book, download some worksheets, etc and connect with someone at that 1 live meeting a week and get sponsored. Share your phone # so you can get together and get through the steps. There are ways around your situation.

2 Likes

I was talking to my cousin who takes percs, but she doesn’t abuse them. She asked me if they make me itch. Not any more I told her. She asked if they’ve made me puke. I said that doesn’t bother an addict. She said she doesn’t get a high from hers. I told her pop 5 or 6 of those puppies and you’ll experience a real high. You are right - they do add spice to everyday life. This is my second go around with pain pills. My first time I was taking WAY more, and was certain I was going to die, and I was. This time I started them because, well, pain. And I haven’t taken nearly as many as I did before. That doesn’t make it any better though. It is still an addiction and I HAVE to overcome this. I know I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know. The pull of this drug is immense. My mouth waters just thinking about an oxy. So, I try not to. My first go around was less than a year. This time though is over two years. I am broke. I have lied a mountain of lies to conceal it. And unlike alcohol, if you don’t take too many pills, no one would ever know. At first, I was only taking them AT WORK! No one even suspected anything. But I knew. I’m not nearly or even remotely afraid I will overdose, but I was and am afraid I will lose everything. I have stopped beating myself up about the money that is just gone. I just want this monster out of my life. Today makes 7 days. I will do this, but I’m doing it kicking and screaming.

7 Likes

Yeah, well I would have 60 days if I hadn’t reset four times. I have to do this. I’ve backed myself into a corner and the only way out is the clean way.

2 Likes

Right here :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: Took my first Oxycontin up the nose as 15. Got on suboxone at 15 and was on that until I got completely clean for 49 days today. I took up running and working out, whenever I’m craving I might not want too but I make myself run or workout and end up feeling treat and not craving afterwards. I also just distract the living hell out of myself with video games, girlfriend or friends (only got my girl though), family and all. You really have to rewire your brain into thinking that being high all day isn’t the way life’s supposed to be. I loved suboxone because I wasn’t completely asleep but still nodding and feeling content all damn day every day just happy about everything, no anxiety or worries either just happy for about a month and it turned to shit. I just know that life’s meant to be lived and loved sober otherwise you are doing something wrong most likely! Gotta change the way you go about things too, all the people, routes home even, just all of the behaviors have usually gotta change in order to avoid those feelings of being back in that same cycle. You got just stick to it and the thing is you’ll have paws (post acute withdrawal syndrome) for about 2-3 months depending. It just makes you depressed and anxious but it does go away I promise you that. Keep to it, opiates aren’t what make life great.

5 Likes

I know exactly how you feel. Seriously. I’m going into day 4. Ive done this 100 times and I’m sick of messing up just like im sure you are! You CAN do it! We can do it together. No more f*cking up, its brought me down every bad road and now im at this destination and i feel stuck but disciplining ourselves, one day at a time and patience…bc i have years of mess to make up for and i know it wont just happen over night or in a few months…:purple_heart:

4 Likes

I have done the same thing. I have done this whole rodeo of quitting and been sober for a month and then I got stressed out and thought oh I can just take 1
Nope wrong…went back to the same old cycle. Now I’m on Day 3 again and I hate the worst of it is the legs. I was told to try a little valium for the withdrawal symptoms and it does help s little for the anxiety and sweats and chills but DEFINITELY NOT THE LEGS … LIKE A FISH OUT OF WATER. Please tell me how to.get thru that part… I dread of The thought it’s time for bed when I know I won’t be able to sleep… it’s the worst. Can anyone give tips.on the whole restless legs

3 Likes

Can you smoke weed? It has helped me some. I use it only at night and take a couple puffs. I don’t want to be high, so I use VERY little. It helps me sleep. That’s just one more thing pills did - help me sleep. Valium should help your legs, but I cannot be certain. Only thing that ever caused restless legs for me was trazadone. I cannot take that stuff at all. Any opioid addict won’t feel safe from pills for a while, if ever. I fear getting real pain again and having to tell a doctor I can’t take any opioid. Some days, I crave so hard I can’t think about anything else. My mouth literally waters with cravings. But, I’m almost 30 days. I can’t believe it. I crave every.single.day. I’m not “staying busy” either. I’m still in the suffering stage. I take it minute by minute some days. I spend some time with my dog, color, play spades and hearts, and try to fill some time. It is hard to get anything done, especially mustering energy. All I can say is keep trying. We all backslide, but you can do it. Just keep at it. It will get somewhat easier. I want to feel better by three months. We shall see. I’ve gone broke so that is good incentive, but I gave up money and so much more to this addiction and I got SICK of it. Therefore, withdrawal pain is part of that sickness. Stay well and best of luck.

Tips for the legs: if u can’t get urself lyrica/gabapentin or whatever the gene Eric is called, I found that tying some kind of elastic fabric around knees and sometimes wrapped and ties around feet can help relieve at least a tiny bit of restlessness… that’s always been my biggest problem too

2 Likes

Good job on day 4 you made it through the worst part

2 Likes

Day 62 now :smile:

3 Likes

Haha that’s better than 4. Good job that’s amazing

Just a little lol but thank you so much. How are you doing!?!?

I’m doing great! 10 hours away from day 8 I feel great, I’m happy, I am me again. I frickin love it. I just miss sleeping, I should get that back soon

1 Like

Im soooo happy for you. I remember the feeling. Itll be back in the next week so you have that to look forward too!! Maybe try benadryl before bed, or goin on a walk or exercising during the day or before bed. Those are just things that helped me

1 Like

Thank you either way, sleep or no sleep in sober again and keeping it this way

1 Like