Any other LGBTQ here?

I just wanted to send you and your son a virtual hug. He is lucky to have a sober mom who cares in his corner. :gift_heart:

2 Likes

Gotta agree here, using what little practical experience I have. When I was growing up (in a pretty rough section of Boston), there was a kid, who everyone thought was gay. Why? Because he was dancer, and he only hung out with girls. He was quite effeminate in his manners and speech. Cried alot. What kept him from getting bullied was if you picked on him, the girls would make you persona non grata. To us, he was ā€œone of the girlsā€. I would have bet money that he was gay. Nope. Not gay. Went on to broadway. Married another dancer. Opened a dance studio. Had a bunch of kids. There was another kid I grew up with. Played hockey and could brawl with the best. Played at the college level and scouted by the NHL. Hung out and did ā€œguy stuffā€. Gay. Ran into him a couple summers ago. Met his husband. Good to catch up with him. Had a lot of laughs telling those ā€œremember whenā€¦howā€™d we not end up in jail?ā€ stories. I asked him when he knew. He said he knew when we all lost our minds over girls, and he didnā€™t.

5 Likes

I can relate to your friend and my friendship with my friends. I was able to tell them pretty much when I was sure at 19 and Iā€™m blessed they embraced me.

I never wanted to lead a girl along as I knew even before then. I dated some girls on a few occasions but I never let it advance as I didnā€™t want to hurt them with a lie. So I get the not losing your mind comment. I just focused on sports and work and tried keeping the closet door shut. I never drank as a kid to deal with it, it really started in my 20s when I had other crap in life to deal with and it all combined to weigh on me a bit so I found the ā€œself medicationā€ alcohol supposedly serves up.

And often the guys people thought were gay as a kid are often now married with kids. Donā€™t judge books by their covers.

2 Likes

I have a lot of ā€œTom boyā€ female friends married with kids. Played football with the guys etc. I hate stereotypes.

1 Like

Thx. I agree. I donā€™t worry about the sexuality stuff, itā€™s how heā€™s treated by more n more kiddos now. Whenever anything occurs about him being ā€œgirlyā€, he usually tells me. I just keep sending him the message thereā€™s nothing wrong with him. Heā€™s very athletic, but prefers individual sports. Killed it in soccer n baseball, but just didnt like it. He was 1st n 2nd in State on several events in gymnastics and is 2nd in State now in multiple swim events like backstroke, 100 IM, etc. I havenā€™t ā€œlabeledā€ him, and realize heā€™s only in 3rd gradeā€¦but he gets treated ugly around here already. I get what you mean about who knows if heā€™s gay or not. Thx 4 reply!

I was the biggest tomboy growing up. Still am really. I thought I was gonna show them all I wasnā€™t gay. Then I had my first sexual relationship with a guy and thought for sure I wasnā€™t gay. 3 years into that relationship everything changed. Gay as fuck! Haha, some people do end up being gay when everyone else already knows. I was 21 when I realized the truth, 22 when I finally left the Douche bag I was trying to fool myself with. Got into my first real relationship with a woman that year.

Some stories turn out the way you think they will, others wonā€™t. Your son will come to this crossroad or he wonā€™t. The best advice I can give you is to make sure heā€™s secure in the love and acceptance he gets at home. No one can control anything outside their own realm so just make sure yours is locked down.

5 Likes

Iā€™ll probably b in touch! Thx so much!

Another gay here! :raising_hand_woman:

One of my AA meetings is an LGBT one but tbh many arenā€™t gay (that Iā€™ve spoken to). You should feel comfortable in a meeting so I hope you settle in one that you like :purple_heart:

1 Like

Oh yeah, and everyone but me knew I was gay since I was a kid. Or heavily suspected.

1 Like

Kids can be brutal. I donā€™t think that will change. Like the Johnny Cash song, ā€œwant your kid to be tough, name him Sueā€. Kids get picked on for being fat, or being a ginger, or sucking at baseball (although my childhood friend Ed was red-haired, overweight and could murder the ball), or a whole host of things. I have mixed feelings, honestly, about ā€œbullyingā€. Some of it is just vicious, and no parent wants their kid to be picked on. Hell, Iā€™ve wanted to ā€œdisappearā€ a couple of kids who picked on my son, but decided he needed to ā€œBoston Upā€ā€¦be ā€œnice, until its time not to be niceā€. He toughened up on his own, but is also very kind and considerate. His little sister adores him. Getting married in June. Going to make a fine husband and father.

Hereā€™s a book I had my daughter read. I think your son would enjoy it too:

1 Like

Thx 4 reply. Iā€™m in a ā€œsecretā€ Facebook group for parents with LGBTQ kiddos. Again, I havenā€™t labeled him n he hasnā€™t come out. I just have ZERO friends with a son like mine. The fb group is helpful, but the recovery piece isnā€™t a component. Nothing face 2 face I know of around hear 4 stuff like this. Very isolating. Iā€™m learning a lot about lgbtq stuff too from that fb group. Itā€™s only for moms.

The bullying thing is difficult to navigate. Never dealt with it before. On one hand, advocate 4 your child (especially at young age). On the other hand, friggin let them/teach them to defend themselves. Life skills. Iā€™m not raising doormats. Nope.

Ive stayed home full time, since had my boys. There r other school options, but not at that point yet. Imma go ahead n pray I never have 2 homeschool. Iā€™m already loco, but that would take me to another level 4 sure.

1 Like

Yes. Weird too imo.

Home schooling should be a last resort. Encourage him to be strong and heā€™ll find his way.

I got you :smiley:

Gay or straight, knowing how to make someone ā€œTap Outā€ is a useful skill. Hereā€™s where I am at great odds with the educational system. I get that we need to teach our kids to be kind and considerate, but I understand that there are those in this world who are not, and some are just plain predators.

I disagree with the statement ā€œViolence is never the answerā€. Sometimes, itā€™s the only answer, when you are flat out of choices. Then itā€™s best to make sure the predator knows that they have made a critical error in the victim-selection process. My daughter knows how to break a wrist-hold, Hair-hold, and throw a palm-strike. She also has my barbed tongue and is quick with a come-back. But she knows to be ā€œnice, until its time not to be nice.ā€

7 Likes

Oh, itā€™ll be a last resort. Heh. Iā€™d rather eat toenails than homeschool.

I hijacked the thread. Eeek.

Might b pushing some of your buttons.
Iā€™ve been joking about the home schooling. Sorry if I came off as flippant. Seriously.