Any other LGBTQ here?

I hear u.
Adding characters

1 Like

You didnā€™t hijack the thread. You have raised awareness of the issues homophobia creates in the world and the wider contagion of homophobia as it affects not just the victim, but others, in this case you as a parent.

Awareness is one of our defences so thank you for raising the subject.

4 Likes

I agree 100% with @NewPerspective! Some folks wonā€™t ever see us as people. But there are 1,000 times as many people who are just ignorant about the whole thing that probably wouldnā€™t have a problem with it if they knew the first damn thing about us. You will help make people less ignorant just by reaching out and asking questions. Others around you will notice your attitude of acceptance and take note. Some of those people will go on to learn more and become more accepting in turn. And this doesnā€™t just apply to homosexuality, this applies to all issued of intolerance. I applaud you for your open mind and bright heart!

3 Likes

@SweetTea my son is 14, heā€™s not sure about his sexuality.

Heā€™s never had a girlfriend although heā€™s never had a boyfriend either, he admitted to me he is not sure if he likes boys or girls.

We are really close and I ask him all the time. He was not super popular in elementary/jr high but he had a few friends and Iā€™ve always taught him its quality not quantity.

I know it hasnā€™t been easy for him but he managed to find his way, so will your son, support himā€¦ I made him start a new school for high school ( better school) when I ask if thereā€™s anyone special, He says no Iā€™m not ready and I think when heā€™s ready, heā€™ll know.

Iā€™m donā€™t think heā€™s figured it out but he finally has some friends and seems happy and that makes me happy.

Just treat him like any kid, let him like what he likes, protect him when ever possible, and let him know by example ( watching tv, out in public ) that your excepting. So whether he is or isnā€™t, heā€™ll never be that kid doing the bullying.

You got thisā€¦

5 Likes

Were u surprised by his uncertainty?

Oh and I donā€™t tolerate bullying. He had his fare share in both elementry and jr high. I was in the office first week of jr highā€¦Every time, probably a dozen, I handled it, never let it slip. If he told me I figured he needed help. As a bullied child I know it can be so hard. For me,
I will find whomever I need until someone helps.

2 Likes

Canā€™t the school do anything to promote tolerance and understanding? Am I being naive here? Iā€™ve reported bullying to my sonā€™s school and theyā€™ve dealt with it in a way that helped my son and the bully, saying that kids who bully can be showing their own low self esteem. 3rd grade is still young, itā€™s not like teachers telling resistant teenagers how to think. All schools should deal with these things because everyone needs acceptance, of themselves and others.

1 Like

No, Iā€™m not but Iā€™m not letting him know. I want him to figure it out without bias from me either way.

2 Likes

My husband and I have been to the school. There are formal policies in place about bullying/harrassment.

Same
Adding characters

1 Like

Can I ask what they are ? The procedures ?

Omg, Iā€™ve been wandering way " adding characters" ment for daysā€¦ just got itā€¦
@SweetTea. FYE. LOL

1 Like

That would never go down where I was raised.

Most schools are Catholic/Protestant split and Church or local Church society has quite a say in the running of the education system. Integrated education is rising and doing a lot to raise the issue.

A Catholic school recently had a poster advertising a support group for LGBT+ youth which was progress, but a parent complained and got it removed.

The teacher didnā€™t handle it well in my opinion as he selected a student to put the poster up in an all male school in front of other students and I suspect it may have been a smart ass move from a teacher directed at the kid, so his father complained as the boy had probably received homophobic taunts for being made put up the gay poster.

Itā€™s a pity, as a poster like that in a Catholic school would have been real progress.

1 Like

That sounds really bad. All schools should be actively anti-homophobia, anti-racism, anti-everything-else-that-discriminates. They have a duty of care to all their pupils. Not least to try not to produce bigoted little shits cos it would be unfortunate for them too. Grrrrrrrrrr

2 Likes

Cis-white female here, but I am an ally (obvs) and I do identify as asexual.

My mom was/is (long story) gay and in a relationship with an amazing lesbian whom I still consider my ā€œstep momā€ to this day, and my best friend is a happily married gay woman. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m with @SoCalAnnie with being an ally. I have a large number of friends in the LGBT community. You are an amazing mom @SweetTea for being so accepting of your son no matter what he feels he is.

1 Like

Q = Queerā€¦

2 Likes

Gay guy here :blush:ā€¦ Havenā€™t been to any meetings as I donā€™t think my anxiety could take it. Have struggled to get sober on my ownā€¦ However, I am pleased to say that I am :100: days clean todayā€¦ Stay focused, stay strongā€¦

7 Likes

I just read your initial postā€¦ Iā€™m a little bothered about jumping to conclusions about a 9 year old that ā€œacts effeminate.ā€ Usually acting effeminate is something gay men choose on purpose to do to build their identity in that direction or itā€™s just a product of who they choose to hang out with. Itā€™s not something you just naturally do. Conversely, lots of masculine gay men, you just donā€™t notice them. Iā€™m one. :slight_smile:

But I mostly hung out with boys growing up.

My point is, thereā€™s a loose association but Iā€™d put down the LGBT Facebook group for nowā€¦ Kids bully anyone who acts differently than them.

1 Like

Lolololol
Iā€™ll message u about policies tomorrow. About 2 go to bed.