Any sober VEGANS out here?

Up in Canada…drive north about 8 hours.

2 Likes

Yeah i am but i keep fallin off and eating dairy… tryin to be better!

6 Likes

Wow have your had this app for nearly two years now but never posted. Welcome. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

So many dairy free options out today. Ice cream ,milk, cheese ,whipped cream ,sour cream, butter ,cream cheese, even delicious eggnog. N if you enjoy making homemade like I do, you can make many of these yourself. Feel free to reach out anytime. @RavenRozay.

1 Like

Love Canada. Met a couple from Ontario when I was in St.Thomas yrs ago. We used to visit each other a lot.

1 Like

Plant based whole foods (lifestyle)

1 Like

Indian cuisine my favorite. Lucky to have little India in next town. Eat there at one of 6 different veg/ Indian restaurants ,also pick up all the spices to make my own. 22miles​:hushed: Wow, awesome. Vegan strong, :muscle::running_woman:

1 Like

I ask this as a genuine question but is yoghurt vegan friendly, your post just made me think as a lot of curries contain yoghurt or do you specify that you want a curry that does not have any.
I think that a vegan diet is admirable but I don’t think that I would be able to become one, I salute those that do though. :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Look for curries that use coconut milk. Now I am hungry.

3 Likes

Haha sorry. I’m not vegan and at this moment I’m not trying to be though it’s something that I may consider it I have been thinking of trying vegetarianism as I really don’t get anywhere near to my five a day so it would possibly open my eyes to the range of vegetarian options available.
At least it’s a curry that you are checking and not some alcohol. :laughing::heart::+1::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

My youngest child is a vegetarian. As a result, I started cooking far less meat dishes. We don’t really miss it. We do eat a lot of dairy and eggs, though. I’d like to cut the dairy back significantly.

3 Likes

There is lots of vegan yogurt out now, I eat it daily. But in Indian restaurants I explain no dairy n they are very accommodating. Many Indian dishes are dairy free. This is one of my favorites.

2 Likes

That looks good, unfortunately I can’t eat anything like that that’s white in colour, it makes me gag for some reason, mayonnaise being the worst culprit. :frowning:

1 Like

I’m not vegan, but like you I’ve been interested in reducing my dietary intake of animal products. My personal motivation is for the environment, as raising animals is far more ecologically harmful than raising the equivalent protein from plant sources.

I also didn’t feel ready to go vegan, or even vegetarian. I have started by not buying meat. That step has gone much easier than I expected. I don’t buy or cook special “vegetarian food” versions of anything, I just make regular stuff and don’t buy meat, and it’s actually not a penny more expensive than my using cheap ground meat, which is something I’d buy before.

I still have a can or so of salmon in a month, and still eat eggs and yogurt. I am okay with this as an intermediate step because it is a lot of progress towards my goal of reducing my environmental impact, and because so far I have yet to settle on a meal plan that isn’t too difficult or expensive for me to make work.

I got discouraged when I told a vegetarian friend I wanted to reduce my meat intake, because they mainly just asked why I wasn’t giving it up entirely, and I wasn’t ready to at the time. It felt like my desire to change for the better was deemed worthless because it wasn’t veganism. I don’t think that was the intent, but it does make me think nowadays that a lot of people may find themselves in a similar position. And I do think that incremental changes are still positive, so I would encourage you to pursue this more plant-focused direction you’re considering, whether or not you decide to explore vegetarianism and/or veganism.

8 Likes

Proud of my family. Started with 1 vegetarian (me) and 4 meatlovers and now the result is:

1 vegan (me)
2 vegetarians (daughter and son)
2 meat eaters, but less! (husband and son)

So the non meat eaters are on the winning scale!! :facepunch:

8 Likes

That’s what I use in my curries. Coconut milk.

1 Like

That’s awesome @SoberWalker Much to be proud of. You are making a difference in everyone lives❣

2 Likes

I’m vegan for the animals, the future n the planet. Also an activist. My approach is always to educate not dictate. I wasn’t born a vegan n most of my life I ate meat n dairy…Believe you are doing a great job. Do what’s comfortable for you.@ifs

4 Likes

I fully support this. To make real climate change we don’t need to all become vegan (though of course I would love it if we did) we just need everyone to rethink their animal consumption. It’s amazing how much more we consume today than from even 50 years ago.

So keep at it. You’re awesome for just thinking about it. Maybe you will make a full switch one day.

6 Likes

So many options available these day’s @EarnIt n easy n fun to make your own if you like to be creative. Pinterest has tons of recipes. Homemade milk ice cream yogurt cheese etc.