Any type of recovery

I’m not just saying one member it happens at time and as I said it can be damaging,
I started with AA then found out about the forum and I’ve learned countless thing just from reading how others get through the bad time and enjoy the good times

4 Likes

Yes nobody needs that and I have been guilty of that in the past too

1 Like

We have two guidelines already that speak to this:

1. No personal attacks
  2. Stay on topic

These go both ways, and there’s been ruling both ways. Antagonizing others is not okay in any case and we will respond to flags accordingly.

It’s fine to state a program (AA or otherwise) is not for you. If a topic is about an approach to recovery that’s not for you, leave it alone.

Addressing the elephant in the room, if someone is clearly not interested in AA, don’t bring up AA. There’s still plenty of recovery we can talk about. If someone has found recovery through AA, let’s respect that too and leave it alone. It’s otherwise off topic and easily becomes a personal attack.

If the forum thinks this needs to be clarified further in the guidelines, that’s of course an option too. This is a forum for a variety of approaches to recovery, not just AA, and we only benefit by keeping that tradition.

9 Likes

Me too! I guess some of us learn the hard way :joy:

1 Like

Thank you for stating the obvious because I think it needed to be stated.

6 Likes

That what I’m trying to say don’t attack someone way of sobriety but it quite obviously happens and that’s the part I don’t like
I go into most thread to read through them to see if I can learn something

2 Likes

Yes. I go to AA myself, but even the program says it doesn’t have a monopoly on recovery. The wide variety of perspectives on Talking Sober has only done me better than what I might have in AA alone.

That all said, we’re always open to feedback on the guidelines. If we really think something more needs to be said about respecting not just the people, but the recovery approaches represented on the forum, we can consider it. We certainly all learn a lot from each other.

2 Likes

I wonder if there is room in the guidelines to state explicitly that TS is not (only) a 12-step/AA etc. based community?

My sponsor told me, it you have to mention you are in AA over and over and over…you probably are not talking about your sobriety…

3 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Derailment void / Off topic 2021 to present

I’m opened to all forms of recovery I’ve been on here for nearly 2 and half years and I’ve learned a lot from people talking about other forms of sobriety

2 Likes

Yeah. And my staff comment above is in general, not pointed at you of course, Conor. I personally think your OP is great advice whatever the formal guidelines!

1 Like

Look I see people in the meetings turning there noses up if I mention in a share about the forum only I don’t say that but everyone knows I use the internet too and I won’t let people give off about it because I have a lot to be grateful for that this place has taught me

4 Likes

I tend to agree… i think the main thing required for sobriety is an open mind. If you go into sobriety with a closed mind you’re gonna most likely fail. Just because something doesn’t appeal to you today doesn’t mean it won’t in a year. There is no 1 direct path from what I can tell. I don’t have alot of sobriety time under my belt, I’m still in the early days just doing what it takes to stay sober for today.

6 Likes

IMHO, we have good guidelines on the forum. The problem is, that users don’t read them or choose to ignore them.

I do agree, that badmouthing a tradition of a recovery is not beneficial to anyone. That shows immaturity of character.

flag, mute, ignore

4 Likes

I get the eye roll :sweat_smile::joy:
This where I got sober, and I’ll never forget that :+1::kissing_heart:

4 Likes

I mention on this site to help people at meetings ,i dont get any body turning up their noses they are glad im trying to help other people who still suffer ,maybe your meetings are different from mine

There’s people at my meetings that think that I should only be doing AA work not mixing it with other ways of recovery

I have this happen from time to time with my small home group. It’s a generational thing. When they got sober, AA was the only thing available. I just don’t bring up my other community supports anymore and it’s all good. Take what you want and leave the rest.

1 Like

F–ck them you do what keeps you sober and if they give you lip tell them a old timer from Scotland will kick their ass, remember going to meetings dosnt mean they arent still sick so my advice just smile and ignore wish you well

9 Likes