Any type of recovery

I think there should be a rule made for giving off about peoples ways of sobriety, I think it is very damaging, if you don’t agree with it then scroll past it but everyone has there own way of sobriety and if it works for them then that amazing and you never know we could learn something instead giving off about something we maybe know little about
Good day to you all :+1:

6 Likes

You mean like “Going Off?”
Take what you want leave the rest.

2 Likes

I love that new Avatar. I just pinched it open for the first time. Pretty cool.

2 Likes

I agree. The way “a new member who shall remain unnamed” has been badmouthing others is very damaging

1 Like

Yup. I also believe that we don’t need to add fuel to the fire and get into pissing contests. I see that happen a lot. My two cents. Thanks for the post @Conor689908 !

1 Like

Absolutely :100:

2 Likes

Yeah maybe we say giving off where I’m from :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah that @Jennajen @anon27760155 and myself and the lovely @Ravikamor took the picture

3 Likes

I’m not just saying one member it happens at time and as I said it can be damaging,
I started with AA then found out about the forum and I’ve learned countless thing just from reading how others get through the bad time and enjoy the good times

4 Likes

Yes nobody needs that and I have been guilty of that in the past too

1 Like

We have two guidelines already that speak to this:

1. No personal attacks
  2. Stay on topic

These go both ways, and there’s been ruling both ways. Antagonizing others is not okay in any case and we will respond to flags accordingly.

It’s fine to state a program (AA or otherwise) is not for you. If a topic is about an approach to recovery that’s not for you, leave it alone.

Addressing the elephant in the room, if someone is clearly not interested in AA, don’t bring up AA. There’s still plenty of recovery we can talk about. If someone has found recovery through AA, let’s respect that too and leave it alone. It’s otherwise off topic and easily becomes a personal attack.

If the forum thinks this needs to be clarified further in the guidelines, that’s of course an option too. This is a forum for a variety of approaches to recovery, not just AA, and we only benefit by keeping that tradition.

9 Likes

Me too! I guess some of us learn the hard way :joy:

1 Like

Thank you for stating the obvious because I think it needed to be stated.

6 Likes

That what I’m trying to say don’t attack someone way of sobriety but it quite obviously happens and that’s the part I don’t like
I go into most thread to read through them to see if I can learn something

2 Likes

Yes. I go to AA myself, but even the program says it doesn’t have a monopoly on recovery. The wide variety of perspectives on Talking Sober has only done me better than what I might have in AA alone.

That all said, we’re always open to feedback on the guidelines. If we really think something more needs to be said about respecting not just the people, but the recovery approaches represented on the forum, we can consider it. We certainly all learn a lot from each other.

2 Likes

I wonder if there is room in the guidelines to state explicitly that TS is not (only) a 12-step/AA etc. based community?

My sponsor told me, it you have to mention you are in AA over and over and over…you probably are not talking about your sobriety…

3 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Derailment void / Off topic 2021 to present

I’m opened to all forms of recovery I’ve been on here for nearly 2 and half years and I’ve learned a lot from people talking about other forms of sobriety

2 Likes

Yeah. And my staff comment above is in general, not pointed at you of course, Conor. I personally think your OP is great advice whatever the formal guidelines!

1 Like