Anyone else have bpd? Have never met anyone else with it

As the heading states I’ve never met anyone else who has the same diagnosis.

2 Likes

There are actually quite a few around here with the diagnosis friend. I’ve recently been diagnosed with a combination of borderline and avoidant pd, at 54 years old. Not going to let it define my life though. They come in all sorts and shapes.Pleased to meet you friend.

7 Likes

<3 come back Bob

3 Likes

I too have BPD along with PTSD. Was diagnosed years ago and have gone through DBT and am now on medication which greatly helps with it.

3 Likes

Yea I have bpd, PTSD, depression, and anxiety it sucks been diagnosed with all including borderline bipolar…

2 Likes

I have basically the same diagnosis precisely.

1 Like

How does everyone do with their mental illness? I didn’t know that I was BPD until I was 26. I’ve always wondered why I do the things I do. It doesn’t excuse the behaviour but it does explain it. Drinking and drugging doesn’t help.

2 Likes

I have alllll the mental illnesses. I’ve found that staying sober and taking my medication really, really has helped a lot. I try to be self aware in my actions and thought process. I’ll stop my brain when it’s doing ‘The Thing’ and try to steer the thoughts in another direction. BPD brain is tricky, especially when you let it suck you into the intrusive thoughts, dwelling, and hurting your own feelings with unrealistic and untrue scenarios that haven’t even happened. I’ve gotten pretty good at noticing which thoughts and patterns aren’t right, and I try to recognize why they might be wrong, and switch them up so I’m back on a more realistic and less stressful track.
Acknowledging the way your brain works and how to coexist with it has been v helpful for me.
:black_heart:

4 Likes

When you say BPD - do you mean borderline personality disorder?

If so, I was reading something two nights ago and as I was reading I’m thinking “holy cow this is exactly it!!!” I felt like it described how I feel exactly.

1 Like

Yeah that’s precisely what I am referring too. I wouldn’t suggest self diagnosing yourself, but have a psychiatrist make a professional evaluation and have it reviewed a few times to make sure theres no misdiagnosis.

Originally when I was diagnosed I was taking or coming down off meth and hadn’t been looking after myself and probably presented a lot more irate and dishevelled then I would normally be. He diagnosed me with BPD along with substance abuse syndrome anxiety, depression & (traits of) narcissistic personality disorder.

18 months later I presented to the same psychiatrist and I was clean of all drugs, working and living with my family - and he said I wasn’t any of those things.

18 months later again, and I have had some kind of delayed early thirties breakdown that lasted 10 to 12 months. In which period I managed to completely wrecked my own life through drinking and drugging engaging in dangerous and reckless behaviour.

And now I’m completely shook up about it that I’m giving it a real solid go this time to understand my substance abuse, my emotions, my behaviour and attitude.

3 Likes

I’ve thankfully had no run ins with the Boston Police department.

2 Likes

Nice to know there’s a few people out there that are willing to share their experiences and coping mechanisms.

Thanks for sharing.

I used to turn to booze to help me deal with my emotions or to distract me from the way I was feeling but since my car crash I’ve really wised up. It’s been bad. I still worry about my mangled arm every day… It’s enough to make me never want to drink again.

2 Likes

I wish I had been so fortunate. I hope you do have the desire to change today because the luck runs out eventually.

1 Like

Oh yes. I take my sobriety very serious. Its been over a year. I’m not willing to test my luck any further.

2 Likes

I feel you rob. I have it all too. Is it something to do with our parents? My parents separated when I was young. My mum was an abusive alcoholic. And my dad was an abusive stoner. We copped it from Dad when he was around, and then copped it from mum when he wasn’t.

Then she became a heroin and ice addict and I basically never saw her ever again. I was 17 at the time.

Now my dad is an ice addict too.

I’ve always blamed them for the way I am but that’s only going to be a pathetic excuse if I don’t forgive them and change my life.

1 Like

Hey what’s dbt?

1 Like

Pleased to meet you too. Stay in touch mate. <3 Mick.

1 Like

I totally agree about self diagnosing. I was happy that I had found something that verbalized a lot of what I felt so I could just show my therapists/doctors etc. Im pretty terrible at trying to figure out how to word feelings or what I experience in regards to mental things.
Your information is interesting - I did continue tor rad other things and you’ve echoed a lot of things I’ve read. The ups and downs of mental illnesses.
I’m glad you started this thread. Thank you.

1 Like

That’s the best. So glad to hear! I don’t know you but I’m proud of you hahaha. Cyber proud. I’m not 100% sober. I’m still addicted to and actively smoking bongs every day, but with stage 4 lock down and a broken arm - I’m just allowing myself this one drug as a tool to stay off heavy drugs and booze. I don’t want to overwhelm myself this early into being off the booze especially. And other crap.

3 Likes

DBT is Dialectical behavior therapy which is an evidence-based psychotherapy that began with efforts to treat borderline personality disorder. There is evidence that DBT can be useful in treating mood disorders, suicidal ideation, and for change in behavioral patterns such as self-harm, and substance abuse.

1 Like