Anyone quitting weed?

I have been sober for alllllmost 9 days, and it has not been easy! I have been a chronic weed smoker for over a decade and before the New Years I was deeeeeeep into smoking. Like all day, urrrrday. I struggle with depression and anxiety and for a long time it seemed like smoking weed helped these things, but after a while (like years) I think weed has made my depression and anxiety worse. Not to mention the munchie weight gain!

It’s a tough habit to break because I feel like it was my go to cushion, support, fun-generator, etc. The first couple if days clean I had Terrible insomnia and sweats. Luckily those have somewhat subsided. It’s annoying because I feel like everyone thinks weed is great and not addictive and like, a solution for everything. Tomorrow I’m supposed to hang out with friends who love the ganj, and I’m. real worried I’ll slip up.

Is anyone else quitting weed and struggling?? If so, gimme a shout!

13 Likes

I stand by my “cycle plan”. I pick 5 things I lile and when the cravings come i just cycle thru each activity over and over and over. Eventually u get into one of them and u stop being distracted by the cravings. I can honestly say after 9 years of non stop bakedhood i couldn’t be happier im quitting. I say quitting becaise its something i have to actively keep doing. Create positive things around being clean like little rewards for urself. And qhen ur getting high talk about all the negative things around being stoned. Eventually u build new neuro-pathways that make it easier to stay sober as time goes on. Trust me! It’s worth it. I’m on Day 8 now. I never thwt id even get here. Longest consecutive time in 9 years was only 2 days. I never thought I’d be able to quit. Until I decided my choice matters and i want more from life. Give urself a good solid reason and rely on that. YouTube 60 Reasons to quit weed. Changed the way I see it. Goodluck and remember we are always here! :grin::grin::grin:

13 Likes

I havent even researched the reasons why but at 62 days I notice that my mind can function well at speed when it needs to. I dont have a photographic memory but a lot less of those uhhhhhh duhhhhhh moments.

3 Likes

Yesss, there’s others here! I’m hours away from one week clean, and can I just say holy sht, I hate the week one bullshit. My anxiety has just come to the forefront like a motherfker and my anger problem made me decide to register for an online anger mgmnt class. Who knew not smoking weed would make for irritability…lol. after about roughly 8 years of non stop smoking tough daily; in every possible form, turns out I might have some work to do. Agree that sometimes it seems minimized compared to other drugs, but there’s definitely an addictive psychological dependency for me at least. The hardest part is just getting used to doing everything I like without being baked as fck. Really though, I’m glad I’m doing it bc I was missing some critical involvement in my own life

8 Likes

Omg I’m so stoked to hear from you guys! I’m thiiiiiiiis close to 10 days no smoking and I literally don’t think I’ve ever not smoked for 10 days since I started smoking weed!!

For the longest time, I thought smoking was a cornerstone to my humour/personality but now I think I’m starting to realize that I can still be a hilarious, messed up weirdo without weed! Huzzah!

I hope you all know how much your responses mean to me! Y’all like my little cheer team in the back of my head. But like, even if I do trip up and smoke I really just want to make sure I don’t get into a habit of smoking every day again.

On a side note, anyone having insanely vivid dreams?? I feel like I haven’t remembered a dream in years and now it’s like Netflix in my nogan! I ain’t. mad at it actually!

:+1::metal::purple_heart::green_heart::blue_heart:

6 Likes

Lol Yes! My dreams are a mix of a horror movie and soap opera drama; it gets pretty interesting, my subconscious has more fun than I do these days lol.

1 Like

Hey, I quit weed in december, had a big time relapse on NYE, and back in sobriety in 2018.

My advice to you would be : don’t let relational problems be triggers for a relapse (any fight with family or friends). Smoking again won’t solve those issues, you’ll hurt nobody except yourself, it won’t avenge anything.

You can also check great advice I received on my post «weed is now a problem».

Take care

4 Likes

I am on day 4 of not smoking and it is extremely tough. I have been consistently smoking for over 6 years now. I am now confident and look forward in staying sober. Believe me it must definitely be done if your body wants you to stop. Taking up extra activities such as exercising can help big time in passing the time and help cope with the transition. Great to hear everyone’s POV and i wish you all the very best in the sober journey!

2 Likes

Speaking of which just finished my first strength training work out of 2018, felt myself getting mean and decided at 9pm to just get it going again lol. Takes that nervous edge off and gives some happy feelings lol. Same to you, good luck! :+1:

1 Like

I am 115 days clean of weed, depending on what age you started using weed, normally correlates to how hard of a struggle you will have. I started with a fully formed adult brain (obviously not my best decision in life :slight_smile: ) I have a friend who started at a very young age when his brain was growing/forming, he struggled more than me. Oh and yes the dreams are annoying, my are weird, Bruno Mars keeps coming into my dreams…maybe I need to go see him in concert, but its like watching a film and sometimes I wake up more tired than I went to sleep. Good luck and keep up the good work, it will become easier in the long run.

2 Likes

I quit weed 5 years ago. Don’t miss it at all. I can think, don’t forget things and am clear headed.

2 Likes

I’m another weed quitter. I had to quit because my life had been stationary. I smoked for nearly a decade and have 11 weeks sober now. I had to quit alcohol to because from past experience I knew it would just lead to smoking. The first month was rough, and I still have anxious days, but its much better now.

Anyone who says weed is not addictive is in denial or doesn’t understand addiction.
Good for you for putting pot behind you. Life is so much better when you’re not living in a cloud of smoke.

Best of luck. You can do it!

7 Likes

Yeah I don’t think weed should be treated so leisurely like it is today. Of course it isn’t the demon drug it was made out to be during the reefer madness days, but is still a drug.

People really believe it is harmless and that you can use it without consequence and that it fixes everything.

1 Like

I’ve been a habitual smoker for over 20 years and recently decided to kick the habit. I got tired of it. And this isn’t the first time that I have tried quitting…I lost a great job years ago because I couldn’t kick it. Now I live in a recreational state and I am a medicinal patient. I can do anything faded without anyone knowing or suspecting anything different and that’s the hard one…most people don’t know that I was even smoking. But I seriously got to the poiint where smoking was just another thing I had to do. I started working 2 jobs and I would come home after working 15 hours to smoke and go right to sleep. I only smoke top shelf so I had to ask myself WTF am I doing…I’m not even enjoying it yet I’m spending good money on bomb tree. I’m almost 4 days sober. I’m not experiencing the normal withdrawal issues I normally do…I sleep just fine, I joined a gym, I’m eating healthy but I can’t say that it’s not hard.

You see I realized, at 37, that the only constant I ever had was weed. It’s hard to close a door to something that’s been your crutch for more than half your life. It’s even harder to be honest with yourself and to deal with the feelings of anxiety and depression when they arise vs going to smoke to “numb” yourself. I think that’s the hardest part of the battle.

I know what a life of smoking did for me but I am curious to find out what a life of non smoking leads me to.

Good luck.

4 Likes

The irritability is the toughest part to get dealt with. I’m constantly battling to make sure my temper doesn’t get me in trouble, I’m constantly discovering where basic adult coping skills and patience are lacking, and I’m a nervous sweater so I can’t even hide my stress lol. And then snapping at just the stupidest things, there’s progress happening but it’s the slowest kind sometimes

3 Likes

I smoked for 9 years non stop…literally. I have PTSD and i take medication to prevent me from dreaming. As soon as i came off weed i started having vivid as intense dreams. My meds still help me not really remember what I dreamt…i just wake up with pieces stuck in my head which NEVER happened on weed. But I am happy I am becoming a stronger human being. And so are u! I spoke to my doc and that’s apparently normal after quitting cannibis. Alot of people experience that. Well done for making it so far! KEEP it up :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It gets better…just remember this is temporary and it will pass. Our track record for getting thru the bad days is still at 100%. The first 14 days are the hardest…I count my breath…how many seconds in and the same seconds out. I’ve also had to table a lot of shit lately until my patience is back…

Good luck today is day 5 for me.

4 Likes

I love your lingo ahha it’s lit. But I’m trying/supposed to wait smoken cause my doctor is gonna drug test me cause I’m on Suboxone. Everyone I know smokes. It’s not my cup of tea but it does help with my chronic pain and anxiety. Good luck!

Hey man, been a chronic smoker since I was 14, most time I’ve ever went sober was 2 years. Quitting weed is difficult the mental addiction along with physical addiction. The using dreams an anxiety kick in hard give it sometime it will pass, don’t recommend hanging around your using friends will be a huge trigger for ya best of luck

1 Like

Sooooo I’m . 11 days away from 15 days without weed! It’s been tough, but it’s getting a wee bit easier. Mostly because I’ve been avoiding a lot of public outings with my weed friends. I ain’t strong enough yet!!

My dreams are sooooo wacky! Before I’d only get like a snippet of dream, but now I’m just like living the movie life dream style!

I was supposed to hang with my friend who smokes last week, but when I told her I’m laying off right now she ditched out! Oh well, nuts to her! She said it was cuz it was cold out, but I call Bullsh!

Today, I saw someone post an article about weed being addictive and they were saying like “That’s so. lame. weed is not addictive!This must be a Beaverton article (Canada’s answer to The Onion)” and I felt very triggered to reply with my newfound words of wisdom. Instead I’m writing a Hi Hello to y’all cuz I just don’t have the vigour to be a keyboard warrior right now!

I hope you’re all having a good Monday and I’d love to hear how you all are doing! One love!