Anyone struggling with insomnia or sleep anxiety? Need advices how to overcome it

Hello everyone,

Since I got clean 25 days ago… I’ve been struggling with sleeping so much… insomnia, nightmares, and sleeping anxiety where my brain becomes an engine for all bad thoughts…

My psychiatrist prescribed to me several medications but none of them is working… and my psychologist gave me some advices and I am still struggling with sleep even though I took the advices seriously and I applied it all with no luck.

I was wondering if someone else had a similar experience in the beginning of sobriety and do you have any advices to overcome this?

9 Likes

I’m clean 19 days, my sleep has been shit too. This is probably going to sound like a ridiculous suggestion but I play a game called Picture Cross on my phone, it’s just hard enough that I have to concentrate but easy enough that I become sleepy.

7 Likes

Thanks @Maria13 I guess there is no harm in giving this game a try … I am up to anything that might help me to sleep :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I personally don’t think sleep medicine works at all (that’s just my input) I think learning how to sleep sober is the best way to do it.

I have so many methods I live by, a lot have to do with how you approach sleep, and how you handle your sleep.

Sleep is not a chore or a stressful time, so if you feel it is, that’s already an underlying issue to your sleep.
The body still functions while you’re asleep , and your diet, routine, and even thoughts before bed can literally affect how you sleep at night .
Sleep is straight up routine you have to build and get used to. Imagine it how we teach children to sleep , they hate going to sleep as youngins and pitch tantrums and cry before bed , because to them sleep is new , and stressful. You need to retrain your body to sleep which means not depending on certain things to make you sleep. Substance abuse usually leads to depending on that to help you crash and sleep, even if it’s an upper. I know from experience.

Anyways cherries produce natural melatonin in your brain , always eat a bowl of cherries before bed if you can.
I binge drink sleepy time herbal tea to help set the mood, I turn off over stimulating things before I sleep. No screen time, no intriguing tv shows/ videos until you at least get used to falling asleep again on your own.
Make sure you’re in a dark room, with minimum lighting. I use LED lights that slowly dim and shut off by 12 for bed time, sometimes a lamp, and I honestly relax.
Even if it’s a stressful thought running through your head , switch it over. Tell yourself you’re okay, you’re greatful for having a roof over your head , or even think how warm and cozy it is to have a blanket around you in a nice cozy bed.
Compliment yourself, count your blessings. Tell yourself , things are rough right now but they will get better, and that you’re doing your best.

Use breathing methods. One thing that really helps me is white noise on YouTube, there’s so many different types of noise you can pick from with preferences , that suits you with your sleep. You can use headphones, or play it out loud on your speaker beside you whether it is your phone or laptop. Don’t expect every sleep to be perfect but build a routine, go to bed at the same time, and get up at the exact same time.
Even if it was a sleepless night, get up and push yourself through the whole entire day, don’t sleep in and mess with your sleep cycle, and avoid naps during the day.

The sleep deprivation will help you be more exhausted on your further attempts to sleep. Like anything in life, it involves work and routine. I still get nightmares and thw odd sleep anxiety but it has gotten so much better since I relearned how to sleep.

I’m personally religious , so I pray to god before I sleep, and ask for help, thank god for everything I have, and repent of any sins , sometimes I read my Bible before I sleep or thank god before I sleep for my amazing life even if the day physically didn’t feel the best.

Bad thoughts come and go , sleepless nights come and go, but it’s like becoming sober, you need to find a way to solve the problem, and fix the underlying issue and realize it’s gonna be challenging at first until you get used to it.

Sleep and insomnia used to be my worst enemy, now sleep and I are best friends , and I go to bed pretty much the same time everyday and wake up everyday at the same time.

I’m a firm believer in that unless you absolutely need meds for sleep , like for instance let’s say you’re dying a serious disease that prevents you from sleeping, then stay away from the sleeping meds. Doctors don’t know what they’re prescribing to perfectly normal / pretty healthy people half the time and sleep meds can really mess up a normal person who actually just needs to work on their diet,routine, and healthier habits.

8 Likes

So I have 26 days clean and if you click on my blogs I was having the same kind of trouble sleeping waking up all hours of the night and a lot of people gave me some great advice so you might want to check out the advice they gave me because a lot of them work I only have got it once last night and went right back to bed and didn’t even wake up till later than I normally do and usually I get up 4 to 5 times every day so that’s a huge accomplishment but I done what was recommended so you should try it good luck!

3 Likes

Thank you so much @Drew95 this is very helpful I will try out these methods and I am optimistic that this is just an issue like any other issue that for sure has a solution but somedays I get very frustrated because of lack of sleep and unfortunately my family thinks that I am exaggerating when I tell them that I am really exhausted because of the lack of sleep and they thank I just wanna get out of chores or running errands, etc… which sometimes can be very stressful for me especially that I don’t want to disappoint them so I over-stress thinking about if I am going to get up on time the next day or not…

And I totally agree with your opinion about sleeping pills… I don’t want to depend on them plus I tried so many that my psychiatrist prescribed and none of them worked…

5 Likes

First of all, good for you on getting clean! 25 days?! Keep it up =)

100% had similar sleeping issues at the beginning of my recovery. It was either the third or fourth night after my last drink I woke up in a massive panic, heart racing like an F1, jumped outta bed and pretty much ran outside for fresh air. Almost passed out from the panic! This was at around 3am… Didn’t fall back asleep until after 5am. I was so scared this was going to be normal for a long time. I was even scared to go to sleep the next night :joy:

Something I learned from my psychologist was that during this transitional period of letting the body and the brain detox, these feelings of panic and anxiety were caused by both my body and brain being familiar with a substance that would put me to sleep. It was like having a bestfriend there every night, then suddenly that friend was gone and my body and brain didn’t know what to do, so they both panicked! Once I was over the hump, sleeping in pure silence and darkness was the best way to put me at ease to drift off into sleep. The whole “one day at a time” is the best medicine for me in so many aspects of living.

Read. Put the phone down, turn the TV off. Remove light from your eyes. Let the mind rest. Eat lots and lots of vitamins. Drink non caffeinated teas. Take naps!! I was reminded how important naps are during recovery. I agree with @Drew95 that medications are a slippery slope because they can cause dependency issues. Trust the process of letting your body and mind naturally reconnect with each other. It can hurt in the beginning but it will pass and sleeping will become less of a chore and more of a natural activity. I promise :slightly_smiling_face:

We’re happy you’re here! Keep checking in. It works!

7 Likes

Thanks @Claudia_4m_sac can you please share the link to your blog … :pray:

1 Like

@Mimi88 seriously no matter what you’re going through today , or tomorrow, when you lay your head down to sleep next just try to relax. Tell yourself you love yourself, apologize to yourself if you have to. Count your blessings, deep breaths, and just think positive . I wish you the best of luck on your sleep journey, and I have faith you can get through this. It’s hard in the beginning, but you’re preparing for your next chapter in your life, and learning to sleep is apart of it . Youre gonna learn so many things about yourself from this process , and when you relearn to sleep it’s gonna feel more rewarding, soon you’ll look in the past thinking “what was all this fuss about.”

You can do it trust me !!!

5 Likes

Thanks a lot @GrnOtterPop it is very helpful seeing how those who replied had a similar experience to some extent and how they succeeded in overcoming it…

Thats very encouraging that I don’t over-stress it…
and take it step by step without panicking every day about why i can’t sleep or having bad quality sleep where I wake up 4 to 5 times whenever I sleep and barely get 4 hours of sleep in total each day…
And yeah I totally agree regarding sleeping pills, I didn’t use them for the past 4 days and trying to find other methods and avoid the pills as I don’t want be dependent on it…

2 Likes

@Drew95 I am doing that every day and I can’t believe that I reached 25 days … the longest I could bare being sober in the past 6 months was only 13 days… I am glad of doing so and I am taking baby steps into recovery and I am not rushing the process like I used to do…
I’ve became less agitated, less aggressive, and I am very happy that I am starting to be my true self again… I am rebuilding myself step by step

thanks a lot of your advices
God bless you :pray:

5 Likes

You see @Mimi88 , you’re already on the right path. The self acknowledgement, and the improvement is already there. Be proud of your outcomes and realize it’s a working process, like I said , it’s like building any routine, it takes time and effort. A city wasn’t built in a day, right??

Haha such a strange anology. Anyways god bless you , for being you and thank yourself for taking this journey abd being honest with yourself and anyone. That’s all apart of becoming the best version of yourself.

This somewhat reminds of something I was studying today… Romans 12:21

“Don’t let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good” . Use that aspect with even negative and positive thoughts in the human brain even if you don’t wanna take it spiritual … If you let your wicked thoughts conquer your positive thoughts you won’t get anywhere in life , especially mentally with anything. Wickedness , even in our own thoughts can mentally destroy us and lead us down these dark thoughts that will tremble us in fear and anxiety which affects things like sleep, diet, and daily routines . Conquer evil by doing good. So that includes your thoughts !!! Feed yourself good thoughts my friend. :blue_heart::pray:

2 Likes

Will do… thank you for your kind words @Drew95 :blush:

1 Like

Yep. Same here buddy. My mind is spinning like a tilt-a-whirl…but this time I’m going to avoid valium and sleeping tablets.

Just gonna grind it out until I sleep better. Also, getting exercise helps.

4 Likes

Sleeping issues are quite common in early sobriety, the body is healing, the brain has to adjust. As you say that sleeping medication is not working for you I want to encourage you to try the suggestions on sleep hygiene, meditation and relaxing in general. It takes time to adjust and I feel with you, nightmares are horrible. I suffer from nightmares a lot, my brain is processing the load that’s going on in my life. I’ve had this mechanism of coping with massive changes all my life, so for me it’s not alcohol-induced, but it’s very straining.
I would like to add an experience. Body and mind also relax when you calmly close your eyes, even when you don’t fall asleep. This knowledge often helps me when I can’t fall asleep again after a nightmare.
Hope it gets better soon :people_hugging:

3 Likes

I think part of the issue is psychological… as after I read all the replies… I finally slept for 6 straight hours without waking up… which is something that didn’t happen before for a while… I tried to think of positive thoughts only before sleeping… and played some white noise on my IPAD and slept very well…

Wish you the best and hopefully once you find the support and trying some of the methods that work out for you from the suggested ones in the reply some of them might actually work…

4 Likes

thank you @erntedank For pointing out these points

Indeed part of it is being relaxed before going to bed… this worked for me when I slept for the past 6 hours… and I read about sleep hygiene I think it is very related to what was mentioned in the replies…

1 Like

As you know, good sleep is hard to come by in early sobriety.

Unfortunately, there’s really no cure, it’s something only time will resolve.

Some things help, like meditation, melatonin, vitamin B, exercise, healthy diet, routine, no electronics an hour before bed, white noise or calming music, maintaining a daily todo list (helps manage day to day stress).

While these help, its still time that will fix it.

Just a quick note on vitamins, our bodies absob them very slowly so it take several weeks before they reach their full potential. If you take a B complex for a few days and nothing changes, that’s why, gotta keep taking it for a while. :grin:

Keep at it, I think great sleep is right around the corner!

5 Likes

@HoofHearted indeed I’ve been avoiding heavy workouts although I used to be very fit before being an addict but today I stepped up and did full body workout and did yoga afterward so I am beat and sleepy as hell :joy:

I am trying to avoid being couch potato as this increase my anxiety and stress
I am trying now to fix up my diet as well…
I am really glad that a lot of people overcame it with time and following some steps that may help…
Vitamins is my best friend to be honest as my appetite is not that good and I don’t eat much but I am working on that as well by prepping healthy food and complimenting that with vitamins…

Thank you for the tips you gave :innocent:

4 Likes

Sounds like you’re making all thr right moves! I know how frustrating it is, but don’t give up, it’ll soon be a distant memory. :pensive:

4 Likes