Anyone trying to stop Marijuana?

I’ve been sober from alcohol for over a year, but I’m still smoking/vaping marijuana and eating edibles. I want to stop, but I’m worried because last time I tried I was extremely irritable and even downright mean. :confused:
I don’t want to be like that to anyone but especially not my kids.
I’ve tried replacing smoking with blowing bubble like my therapist suggested, but it doesn’t always take away my cravings.
Anyone trying to, or are you able to successfully stop smoking marijuana? TYIA!

7 Likes

Hi :wave: I stopped drinking 2 and a half years ago but like you I was still vaping and eating edibles. I now have 8 and half months off THC. The first few weeks are very hard and cravings feel impossibly strong. I work out a lot now. Well I worked out before too but I work out even more. I run, lift weights, cycle and recently I started doing yoga.

For me the first few weeks was about will power and the people within this app. Without my friends here I’m almost positive I wouldn’t be sober today, from alcohol or weed. I relapsed multiple times trying to get past the first few weeks. It took me almost a year and a half to get a handle on it. It’s hard but it’s worth it. I was very irritable for a while, I think that’s just part of the withdrawal.

Good luck and welcome to the community. Stick around, I promise it’s worth it

6 Likes

Thank you very much for responding. I too have started exercising, yoga and running and it has helped with staying away from alcohol. I know my running would definitely improve if I were to stop smoking/vaping. It’s just really hard because I’ve been doing it for like 10 years now.

3 Likes

It is really hard but doable. I was 13 the first time I smoked weed. I’ve gone times here and there when I quit but I would always substitute drinking in place. This is the first time in my life I’m sober from both.
Distractions and taking each day minute by minute is a good way to get through the hard part in the beginning

4 Likes

I went the other way around, I quit weed and tobacco first (8.5 years ago), after which my alcohol consumption dramatically increased. Nearly 5 years that i’m totally sober and clean, which is the only way for me. Know you can do this! Like Jennifer already said, I could never have quit either without the use of my peers. Can’t do this alone.

Second thing is that I needed to work on the reasons I started doing drugs and alcohol in the first place. Which I did and still do. Changed my career, went into therapy, changed my life. Everybody has to find their reasons and motivation.

And also I gained a lot of knowledge of addiction, of weed and alcohol, of withdrawal and craving and how to work on those. Wishing you all success, know you can do this and you’re not alone Ashley!

7 Likes

Thank you. I’m also scared to quit because I know the withdraw is going to suck and I’m also scared of the weird dreams I might have

1 Like

For me the withdrawals were akin to having the flu. Not nice but doable. And with a clear goal in mind, which is freedom from all substances. Having that goal and knowing this was the last time made it easier.

As to dreaming: I didn’t dream at all for years, or at least I couldn’t remember anything when I woke up. Now I do and dreams can be weird but on the other hand I find it really intriguing what my brain comes up with while I sleep. Dreaming is part of healthy sleep. It’s part of what makes us humans. I’m glad I dream. Life’s so much better on the other side Ashley.

6 Likes

It’s just for me, every time I think about quitting I get panicky. I get anxious and worried. I know it’ll be much better to be and stay sober though, but it’s just the act of actually doing it that’s scary to me.
But on the other hand, I accidentally broke my bong the other day and although I did have a moment of panic, since that’s usually what I use, I thought to myself what if this is a sign? I still have a bowl, but it’s not the same and I’m not smoking as much, but I still crave it. Also I have FOMO when it comes to quitting :confused:

3 Likes

This is me exactly. Once I was off alcohol for awhile, I started sleeping better and dreaming again. I find it fun, even the scary ones. I can usually trace it back to something in my life. They are quite revealing.

4 Likes

FOMO on what? Maybe try and write it out what’s good about weed, and what good you think will come of quitting? Think about it for a while. In this case the grass definitely is greener on the other side (pun intended).

And I think you fear the change. And the fear will keep feeding on itself and get bigger the longer you wait. Also for me smoking weed really fed my anxiety and my paranoia which got stronger the longer I persisted in smoking.

5 Likes

I smoked weed for 5 years after i quit drinking. Just hit 90 days weed free the other day. The hardest part is the first few weeks. But once i started to realize how much money i was saving it really hit me that i was becoming dependant on the stuff. I tricked myself into thinking it was beneficial to me, however, since i quit i havnt had a panic attack and my anxiety has actually gotten better. Still getting cravings but i have taken what ive learned from my alcohol sobriery and used those tools for weed now as well.

Hope you figure out what works best for you. Took me a long time to figure it out myself so dont be to hard on yourself

6 Likes

Yes to this…I always thought smoking hash or weed helped me through my days and nights, life, calmed me, and after quitting, I soon realized it was the opposite. Anxiety, paranoia. It finally vanished. I stopped being an asshole in the morning, getting angry for nothing and yelling for no reason etc
Strange I couldn’t see it while I was high all the time

5 Likes

You’re absolutely right. I am scared of the change. Terrified actually :confused:

1 Like

Same. I hate change. It’s a huge problem for me, especially when change needs to happen but my fear stops me from doing anything.
And on the fomo, you are missing out on so much on the sober side. I had a lot of anxiety when I quit weed but as others have mentioned I’m pretty sure it was the weed giving me the anxiety. Once you get some time away from thc you will realize there isn’t anything you are missing out on.

5 Likes

I can tell you that I agree pot can be addictive. I think it’s just about keeping it in its place if that makes sense. Personally it’s alcohol for me.

2 Likes

I’m new on the app and I decided to quit weed this weekend after going back and forth for like a year or so. I don’t drink alcohol often but every time I’ve tried to reduce my weed use I’ve typically substituted a drink on those nights and don’t want to get into that habit either. I don’t enjoy drinking much so I’m not worried about overdoing it, but I’m sick of feeling like I NEED any substance just to unwind at the end of the day. Feeling like I shouldn’t need that is taking up way too much of my mental energy these days and it’s not worth it. I’m trying to go cold turkey on weed and only drink on weekends.

What is your plan with your stash once you decide to quit? I have mine in a locked box and asked my husband to change the code and hide it somewhere I won’t find it. I thought about just trashing it all but wasn’t sure I wouldn’t just go buy more since I’m in a state where it’s legal and easy to get. I’m hoping having it in the house somewhere, even though I don’t know where, will make me feel too guilty to go secretly buy more and will give my will power a chance to kick in when I’m tempted.

I think a replacement activity for the times I typically vaped is going to be important too but I don’t have that figured out yet!

Let us know how things go!!

2 Likes

I don’t know how many times i trashed my stash back then, sometimes with good results sometimes I just went back to my dealer the next day. But one thing is for sure, I wouldn’t have been able to stay thc free with any product at home

3 Likes

That has definitely been true for me when I’ve had access to it inside the house and tried to slow down before. Now that I’m leveraging my husband to keep me accountable I think I’d be too ashamed to ask for it back and am so frugal that I think I would feel ridiculous secretly buying more to avoid asking for it. I feel like this is a good plan for me but I guess I’ll see how strong the addiction really is.

2 Likes

It took me a while after I quit drinking to stop smoking weed. But once I started truly going all in to working a program of recovery and started clearing out my own stuff, I began shifting into a new way of life and I knew it was time for it to go. I had smoked so long and told myself this story of how it was helping me, but in reality it was harming me now. It was keeping me broke, stagnant, disconnected from myself and from others in this new life.

When I quit, I did a little ceremony. I thanked it for giving me what I needed to cope with life while I needed it. It was a friend to me. But that time of my life was over and it was now harming me, just like alcohol did-even if it looked a little different. I then took my last hit of weed and said goodbye to it. I cried and did feel some greif. But I proceeded to get rid of everything and said my final goodbye. That personally helped me close that chapter and I stepped into a new reality where I am a non-smoker. It also made it so I didn’t pick it back up, because I really said goodbye to it. This is just my experience of what I did when I quit smoking.

That was almost 3 years ago and I have stuck with it. I went over to a girlfriends house yesterday that still smoked and I can see the impacts it has on her with my completely sober eyes and it makes me a little sad to see her stuck in those chains as I know how that feels.

I no longer have any interest in going back to that self-sabatoging and harmful behavior. I’m in a whole new & vibrant space. That old version of me that I created to survive no longer exists. I’m healing and continuing to release all that holds me down so I can rise and thrive. You are worth of this too my love. :sparkles:

6 Likes

Love the idea of saying a final goodbye :blue_heart:

2 Likes