Appetite issues after 1 week sober from Cannabis abuse

Hi all. First time poster! Sorry if it’s too long.

A week ago I made the decision to quit smoking weed after almost 2 years of being a daily bong smoker.

Just to provide a bit of background information: I am 22 y.o who started smoking back in '18 because of mental health reasons and as a form of self medicating for alcoholism.
Due to continuous smoking weed mixed with tobacco my ability to eat properly has been destroyed, Ive managed to go from 80kg (176lbs) to about 47kg (110lb) even though I regularly eat junk food. It’s gotten to the point that I genuinely worry that I look sickly thin, At first it was okay as I had spent all my teen years dreaming of becoming thinner but now Im just terrified that I’m going to get myself thrown in hospital for malnourishment. I can promise you that I am not starving myself on purpose, it’s just the fact that I could go a complete 24 hours without any sort of hunger cramps whatsoever.

This is why I decided to stop smoking. Stage one for me currently is quiting just cannabis but eventually I would also like to phase out smoking tobacco (unfortunately that’s the one thing keeping me sane right now). I definitely don’t want to put all the weight back on but I’d love to just become a healthier person.

It’s been a week now and to say I’m feeling like balls in a bit of a understatement, Insomnia is kicking my ass hard and I still haven’t been able regain any sort of appetite. I have sensations in my abdomen that range from mild discomfort and weird bubbling to what actually kinda feels like pain, on top of general lightheadedness and fatigue.

Even though all this is happening I still have no motivation to pick up smoking again, I’m just finding that the constant state of discomfort and the fact that every piece of food I eat tastes like garbage is really getting to me. I really want to make a change in my life and if anybody has any advice with eating post-addiction or just any advice in general I’d really appreciate it. I hope I haven’t rambled too much, thank you so much for reading. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Tobacco is going to curb your appetite and keep you 10-15 lbs lighter than not smoking it. As far as that’s concerned I think it may be influencing the way things taste to you. You could try eating some more protein rich foods that have good fats and carbs with fiber. Also a cookie or donut or ice cream here and there isn’t going to hurt you if you are underweight. For sleep insomnia i use melatonin or meditation or both. Best of luck. I’m sure others will chime in.

2 Likes

Thank you for replying. Ive looked into getting a vape and plan to order one as soon as I get paid, heres hoping that will help as I really don’t think I’m capable of quitting nicotine yet. My anxiety isn’t exactly keen on leaving the house due to lockdowns but melatonin isn’t available over the counter (In Aus) so I think I just need to suck it up and go to the Dr’s. Thank you for the food recommendations too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m my experience when I gave up smoking I eat more than ever, a mixture of good and bad food, actually there’s no such thing as bad food what I meant was nice food or boring food :grin:. So kill two birds with one stone and stop tobacco and put a bit of weight on.

How is it going today? Nicotine urges can get really intense and it’s normal to feel lots of mood swings.

Hey welcome to Sober Time!
I’m going to ask you a really weird question so my bad for that :laughing:
Are you sinuses and lungs blocked? I’m a long time tobacco smoker and after days where I smoke more than usual I notice my nose is stuffy and that also really influences how you experience flavor. You could try blowing your nose after a long steamy shower. Seems stupid but it might help :woman_shrugging:
Also I would see a Dr about the sleeping. Melatonin is a non addictive substance, I use it too because I was so used to drinking myself to sleep. I’m sure a Dr would help you out there and maybe also offer help with the eating.
Congrats on your first steps to sobriety :heart: !!!