Are "drinking dreams" a help or hindrance?

I know i am only on Day 4, but do they get less frequent with time?

I am on day 15 (so not very long), and my first drinking dream I had involved me feeling very intoxicated, but trying to hide it from people. My dreams after that have been me resisting the urge to get drunk lol I’m not sure how long they’ll last for, but they’re semi stressful for me.

1 Like

Am on day 461 and I still get the occasional one… the last one was drinking a glass of water that turned in to vodka… and I never drank vodka! Also have one that is me pretending I haven’t just drank a bottle of wine and trying to hide it from my family. I figure that it’s subconscious anxiety coming out as I have no cravings or desire to drink at all :blush:

2 Likes

I’m on day 50 and for me I rarely have them. I did have one recently where in my dream I woke up in my bedroom and there were bottles of beer, Mike’s hard, etc all over my room. I instantly felt the guilt and shame, anxiety and depression of how could I have gone back to this?! What did I do?! Why!!! Lol so for me it was beneficial to feel those emotions as a reminder to not go back. Interesting too because I haven’t wanted to go back at all and haven’t had cravings either.

2 Likes

Can’t say that I’ve ever had one, but I rarely recall dreaming at all, even though I am sure that I do dream.

I wouldn’t worry too much about drinking dreams. They are simply a manifestation of conscious and sub-conscious anxiety regarding your transition to sobriety. I would imagine that as you become accustomed to sober life, the frequency and intensity of the dreams will diminish, and even disappear altogether, in time.

Sleep well.

2 Likes

Day 517ish for me, I had a few in the early months and I was always relieved when I woke up and realized I didn’t drink. I haven’t had one in a long time. Likely just jinxed myself there.

3 Likes

I’m around day 120, and they haven’t gotten less frequent. I have decided since I can’t avoid them, I’m going to consider them helpful in reminding me why I’m sober. My dreams are personally never good when they involve drinking. Just last night I dreamt I was at a wedding, in the beginning I was sober, telling everyone I was sober for the past 4 months,and then some where along the line I was wasted.

Which is much like real life and my drinking habits. Everything is fine and then I’m about to be black out drunk. Not every time I’d drink, but once is too much in my mind, and for it to happen once a month is just disgusting for me.

My dreams have always been very vivid and nightly since I was a kid. Hopefully yours will subside.

I’ve had a few, I always feel guilty in my dream after the drunk or high I got. Once I wake up, it’s gone.

As far as helpful or hindrance, I’m not sure. Its just a dream. Some people like to get into the subconscious this or that, lucid stuff but in the end, it’s just a dream. Not reality.

I’m about 7 months sober and haven’t had a lot, and they seem to be getting further and further apart.

I wouldn’t worry about these dreams, a lot of us have them especially in the beginning. Their frequency might depend on how worried one is about maintaining their sobriety and this is one of the reasons why they are more common in early recovery.
I consider mine a blessing and an antidote to complacency as they serve as a great reminder of how bad things were.

1 Like

Unless your sleepwalking to the refrigerator and opening a bottle I think you’ll be okay :slight_smile: I’ve had very vivid dreams since sobering up (day 48 here) but none of drinking yet.

2 Likes