Astronomy, science, rockets, NASA, and all the space topics thread. FREE ALIEN QUIZ INSIDE! DON'T WAIT! ACT NOW!

Exciting! I hadn’t heard about this!

Were you able to view the lunar eclipse? I set up and waited through all of totality, but we have been very overcast in this area lately. Luckily the clouds broke a little and I was able to see the moon as it went dark, but no red.

3 Likes

No I didn’t see it, though it was more because my cats wake me up like clockwork at 4:00 every morning and I was asleep :laughing:

3 Likes

Fair enough! It was at a crazy early/late time. I was determined to stay up all night for it, even though it was a crap shoot’s chance of getting a good look. My own cat was pretty upset that I never went to bed. :laughing:

2 Likes

New launch date: Monday, November 14 :rocket: :full_moon: :innocent:

https://blogs.nasa.gov/artemis/2022/10/12/nasa-sets-date-for-next-launch-attempt-for-artemis-i-moon-mission/

5 Likes

China sending crewed mission to mars in 2033:

3 Likes

Who’s up tomorrow (Nov 16) at 1:04 a.m. Eastern Time (North America)? My European friends get to watch this while they’re having breakfast! :croissant: :rocket: :innocent: Me on the other hand, I’ll probably sleep through it and catch up in the morning. :innocent:

https://www.nasa.gov/content/live-coverage-of-nasas-artemis-i-mission-to-the-moon

2 Likes

Actually pulled out my dslr back on the eve of oct 31 / nov 1st and just remembered to grab this photo off of it. This seemed like a good place to share it :smiling_face:

6 Likes

Beautiful! That came out really well.

Hmmmm… maybe seeing an Apollo lander there :telescope: :artificial_satellite: :waning_gibbous_moon:

1 Like

Not me :sob: I’m already at work at that time :weary:

2 Likes

You and I will both be watching it a few hours after it happens then :innocent:

2 Likes

And, liftoff!

6 Likes

The Orion spacecraft (the part of the mission that’s going around the Moon) can be tracked in real time. NASA has instructions here:

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/track-nasa-s-artemis-i-mission-in-real-time

I was able to read the blog with instructions (the link above) on my iPhone browsers but had trouble with the link they give for live-tracking the spacecraft. It’s possible that I need to try a different browser though; I didn’t spend a lot of time with it. In any case, the blog post with links is above - hopefully it will work for some of you!

Edit to add:

I checked it on my laptop browser, the Artemis Real-time Orbit Website (AROW) loads fine there, no problems interacting with it and tracking the spacecraft’s progress - so if you’re on a desktop or a laptop (or maybe a tablet browser too? I don’t know; it didn’t work on my iPhone earlier so I’m not sure), you should be able to access this and track the spacecraft:

Not sure why it didn’t work on my iPhone this morning. Would be interested to know if it works on Android mobile devices.

4 Likes

I can open AROW with my cellphone but the handling is awful :joy: But wow! I’m excited :blush:

2 Likes

So we’re still a long way off from hibernation on long space voyages, but we’re learning :nerd_face:

5 Likes

One of the beauties of space: seeing Earth as you round the Moon :earth_africa: :waning_gibbous_moon: :woman_astronaut:t2: :astronaut:t2:

7 Likes

Great full documentary on the UFO subject for those interested in the subject

5 Likes

Going to watch it later, I LOVE this stuff :relaxed:

3 Likes

Me too.

@Pat_m & @Sabrina80, if we’re looking to figure out how we could recognize and respond to signs & signals of intelligent extraterrestrial life, our learning might include this NASA publication on the subject, here:

4 Likes

Very interesting, I know every case they mentioned in the video :sweat_smile:
I’m 100% sure that there is in fact something flying around. We don’t know if it’s ETs, maybe it’s Military? Who knows.
I always find it sad that those people who see UFOs are called liars or that someone says they simply had something like a mass hypnosis or panic or something else.
Especially pilots, I think they know the best what looks like a plane or not.

4 Likes

Yeah i knew every case too, looks like we’re two :alien: nerds :joy:
But it’s really well done and the approach is great. The director wanted the most serious and unquestionable witnesses. In the end, it’s really solid. Glad you enjoyed it.
Personally I generally don’t talk about UFOs in public, bored by the usual mocking reactions.

4 Likes