Astronomy, science, rockets, NASA, and all the space topics thread. FREE ALIEN QUIZ INSIDE! DON'T WAIT! ACT NOW!

Interesting musings :innocent:

Still I think the word “religion” is used so selectively as to be not particularly helpful here. A better term would be “dogmatic fanatic”:

Dogma (you could qualify it with the adjective “self-righteous dogma”):

Fanaticism (you could qualify it with the adjective “violent fanaticism”, or other adjectives as appropriate to specify; they are all different flavours of fanaticism):

If “religion” is used to mean “dogmatic fanatic” and in particular “violent dogmatic fanatic”, you’d have a hard time convincing me that many faiths and traditions across a wide range of humans fit that definition, for example Buddhists, Unitarians, Sufis, many people raised in traditions of the Indian subcontinent (the term “Hindu” is often used but that’s a Western term that lumps these diverse groups together), Bahá’ís, many Christian and Muslim friends I have, etc etc. I personally have friends in all these traditions and none of them are dogmatic fanatics.

All to say, saying “we make science into a religion” lumps a whole lot - hundreds, at least - of constructive and highly diverse (and inquiry- and reflection-based) traditions into one pot, and far from deepening your point, it obscures it. The water is so muddy now we can’t see through it. These religions are not all the same in any way, and many of them teach precisely the kind of respect and humility that creates conditions where science flourishes.

Why muddy the water? Why not just say what you’re saying? “We make science into dogma” That’s what you’re saying. It’s an important and sobering question and one that needs careful consideration: how can we foster scientific cultures that resist blind, unthinking, clannish repetition?

1 Like

Watch Artemis live folks! 5…4…3…2…1…

:rocket: :new_moon:

https://www.nasa.gov/content/live-coverage-of-nasas-artemis-i-mission-to-the-moon

The Sept 27 launch has been scrubbed due to Tropical Storm Ian and the next date is TBA. Stay tuned folks for the launch of this new chapter of human exploration of the Solar System!

5 Likes

My senior math teacher explained calculus to us like this, except he physically acted it out: he said, “I bet I can walk toward the wall and never touch it,” then he kept walking halfway, and halfway, and halfway, etc. I have never forgotten that explanation.

Mr Rodney. One of my favourite teachers :innocent:

4 Likes

:rocket:

Yes, Armageddon (top of that list) is famously inaccurate as a story of what actually happens (or could happen) on a trip to outer space, buuuuut…

The problem of how to handle an incoming asteroid is one that is being studied. Introducing the DART mission, which is on track to collide with a small asteroid soon - in just under 1.5 hours, to be precise - to see what impact (:laughing: :innocent:) it will have on the rock’s trajectory (to assess whether a similar strategy could be used, hypothetically, to divert a small asteroid on course for Earth).

Live feed here (with commentary and broadcast material too) starting at 6 pm Eastern time (Toronto / New York):

2 Likes

Borrowed this telescope recently but haven’t had a chance to try it out. Tonight Juipiter will be at his brightest all year, so out it will come.

@mx_elle that looks like an interesting read, thank you for the recommendation and for the well wishes. Its a slow mend, but I’m getting there :+1:

@Matt thank you for your thoughtful reply. I will come back to it when I’m able to sit at my desk and spend some time on it. This is about as long as it gets via a cellphone for me. :wink:

4 Likes
3 Likes

I am wrapped in ice more than 15 km thick and, under that frozen surface, I almost certainly have a vast ocean of water, at least five times deeper than the deepest point of our ocean on Earth.

Who is… Europa?

She just had closeups done a couple days ago:

And she’ll be visited soon by another probe - the Europa Clipper - headed there specifically to investigate the subsurface ocean:

Amazingly, this moon, no bigger than Earth’s moon, may have twice as much water as we have here on Earth!

:star_struck:

8 Likes

OMG a Space, NASA and Alien thread :heart_eyes:
I love everything Space since being a child.

6 Likes

Me too! Welcome to the club.

Personally I am a huge Star Trek fan too; love the series, and the movies; I’ve loved it since I was a kid. Love Star Wars too, for that epic good-vs-evil fight :star_struck:

I have followed all the Mars rovers with rapt interest. It is so fascinating what they discover :innocent:

6 Likes

Which of the series are your favorite?

2 Likes

Hard to answer. Each has its own flavour, and there are strengths in all of them.

First off, TOS is (and isn’t) a lot of things, but one thing it was, was a courageous effort to create something new, a new narrative, a new picture of a future, new visions for what humans can be and how they can behave. That in itself is bold and I respect that, and appreciate it. The tone set by that series continues to shape the series we enjoy today.

TNG, VOY, and DS9 - I like all of those, each for different reasons. TNG flies on the strength of the writing (courageous and asking important questions, which set the stage for dramatic stories) and on Patrick Stewart’s acting (phenomenal - a brilliant and compelling actor: that line, “There. Are. Four. Lights.” gives me chills every time - and there are many others). VOY is a crew like no other, a really brilliant set of characters in unique and challenging circumstances. DS9 asks social and political and relationship and spiritual questions that can’t be asked in any of the other series (because of the setting), and that lets them explore more of the strategic and metaphysical picture of the Trek universe, which I liked.

The new series have a lot going for them too. Strange New Worlds is a fun watch with great stories, great acting, and a steady, mostly episodic rhythm; I am liking it so far. The Picard series I am enjoying for how it develops the stories of these familiar characters. It is a bit of a reminiscing / redeveloping series, developing settings and characters I’m already familiar with, but I like it nevertheless.

The Discovery series is one that took me a long time to really “get” - those first two seasons were a mind trip at times - but now that I’m farther in, and the timeline and setting has settled, I’m finding it’s a refreshing journey in new, uncharted space. I’m enjoying it. I’m particularly enjoying the character of Michael Burnham. She’s got an understated, sometimes steely, always vibrant energy to her, and is a keen observer and communicator. Brilliant character and a lot of fun to see how she engages. She surprises me - I can’t easily predict what she will choose - and that is refreshing.

2 Likes

NASA has rescheduled the Artemis launch to November, to give employees and their families time to recover from the storm.

https://blogs.nasa.gov/artemis/2022/09/30/teams-confirm-no-damage-to-flight-hardware-focus-on-november-for-launch/

Talking Sober Hurricane Ian support thread is here:

Take care all and stay safe; we get through this together :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Those wishing to donate to organizations helping recovery from Hurricane Ian can find links here (they’re in the last few paragraphs of the article):

2 Likes

Can you remember this Matt? I was only a toddler when it hit our screens over here in the 70’s this was my saturday morning tv. Then sat evening it was Dr Who

No wonder we all enjoyed star wars when it hit th e screen a few years later the effects were dare i say it, light years ahead. :+1::grinning:

4 Likes

I never saw either of them because my family didn’t have a TV cable connection until I was in high school, by which point I was more into computer games than TV :joy:

I am familiar with them both though, and they definitely had strong production :innocent:

1 Like

View from the front of my house now.
The little dot is not a reflection its ? But its definitely there.

7 Likes

What a great picture! The little dot is Jupiter!! :heart:

5 Likes

Oh wow ! Thank you for letting me know what it was/is. I looked up to the sky and thought abiut this post and took a picture :blush:

2 Likes

I enjoyed this a month or so ago.
Webb photos set to music

2 Likes

Helloooo extraterrestrial water! :smiley:

6 Likes