Atheist alcoholics?

Hello everyone!
I am an Atheist and subsequently twelve step program doesn’t speak to me. I am looking into connecting with people in recovery who are into nature, music, cinema, cooking… to fill my sober time with.
All the best to my fellow friends.

2 Likes

Ya most certainly did not find Jesus LOL

Lol. Love it might have to go blow up a tv today

Hi,
I think the best advice I can give here is: accept every friend you can.
I am anti religion also but a lot of the people who are great support in my life are religious. It isnt them I dislike, they are great people. Without them I would really struggle.

So take all the help you can get.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey! Fellow atheist here. I’m currently in AA. I was sober 3 weeks on my own because AA wasnt for me because I’m noy religious and dont believe in any kind of god. There is a reason that a lot of AA members use the term Higher Power. My Higher Power is the people who are in AA with me. It is seriously just accepting that you cannot be successful on this journey on your own. Accepting you need a “higher power” to help you work through recovery and stay sober is what it’s about. Dont knock it until you genuinely try it. I found the open discussions and big book meetings the most enjoyable and relatable. There are plenty of AA members who also are atheist or agnostic.

3 Likes

I only lasted 3 weeks on my own. Should have mentioned that lol

I have friends who are believers, it really is none of my business. I have nothing against religious people unless they are trying to convince me otherwise.
Thank you all for the insight and support. This is about being true to myself and not pretending. Including a higher power. I guess we all find the best way for each and every one of us to stay sober.
The reason I opened the topic is to learn, to have fun and fill my time with activities that I enjoy, share experiences, laugh and feel good about life, get motivated.
I keep the topic quiet, only one of my friends know and I don’t talk about it much. That is why I am here, to talk about the challenges and take the necessary steps to become the person I want to be.

2 Likes

With ya on this … that’s why I didn’t go the AA route just not interested in playin that game I know it has worked for a lot of people and that’s awesome I’m on day 291 no resets it has been tough but the only thing that will stop you from a relapse is … you I’m on here all the time I like this forum and the people on it drop me a line anytime I don’t have all the answers but …

I’m an atheist too, I didn’t go down the AA route but have found help through an alternative agency called CGL for alcohol meetings and support, I’m doing a CBT and will be going to one to one counselling and mindfulness course soon, I love cooking and fitness

4 Likes

What does CGL stand for I googled it and nothing

She’s in the UK i believe, so maybe add that to your search? I haven’t heard of it either. I’ve seen SMART mentioned a fee times but dont know what it is. Could he an alternative for people who dont want to try AA.

https://www.changegrowlive.org/content/cgl-gloucestershire
It’s a drug and alcohol recovery company

1 Like

Thank you but I live in Canada lol

1 Like

Ya I’ve heard of smart as well might have to look into

1 Like

Thank you for the source Red Dragon! I am in a small town in Southern Europe. I think I will keep cybercommuting.

Funny I think every person on this thread is from a diff country :thinking:

2 Likes

Diversity is a good thing. We can talk about the cultural triggers that pushed us over the edge. Plus, it might mean a new vacation destination, lol.

1 Like

Lol ya come to Canada … where it’s winter for 6 months of the year :heart:️super fun

Thats what I love about this forum. Such a wide variety of people and more than likely it doesn’t matter where you are, someone will have access to a resource thag can help!