Away for the week

I am just under a week sober today and tomorrow I am going away for 5 days due to work. This makes me a little uneasy and anxious due to the fact that these trips usually involve a lot of drinking. I’m not sure how I am going to approach this situation due to the fact that I have not been anywhere near alcohol since I’ve been sober and obviously don’t want to start drinking again. I don’t want to have to stay away from people the whole time but also don’t want to put myself in a situation where I may be tempted to drink.

I’ll be posting at least once a day till I am back home. Suggestions and comments are welcome.
Thank you all.

8 Likes

Get to the gym if there is one in your hotel or near by. Tell people you are training for something and on a health kick.

3 Likes

Good idea, thank you I hadn’t thought of that.

1 Like

You can do it!
I would hang out with the people you mentioned but once you feel tempted or uncomfortable, leave. But do whatever you feel comfortable with.

Again, you can do it!

1 Like

Thanks :blush: after the first few days I may see how it goes, but for the most part I want to make sure I’m not putting myself in a situation where I may slip.

1 Like

Plan. Then plan! Then plan some more! Have a plan for any possible scenario. Plan what you are gonna drink at dinners. Plan what you want to say if and when someone offers you a drink. Plan your answer for the question “why aren’t you drinking?” Make an escape plan if you feel you need to get the fuck out of somewhere.

You can do this! Just be prepared. You know what they say, “if you fail to plan, then you plan to fail” :blush:

5 Likes

Remember all the reasons why you chose to stop drinking if you’re tempted to have one. Keep that list in your pocket. And think of how proud you will be when you make it home after the trip and you are still sober! You CAN do this!!! Stay strong.

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice, I will definitely keep this in mind and make sure to plan for any situation or event I see myself in, and even the ones I don’t :blush:

1 Like

That’s a good idea, even having that in my pocket will be a good physical reminder to have on me if I go out :blush: thank you.

1 Like

If you stay strong you are going to feel awesome - A) because you won’t drink too much and risk doing anything embarrassing or being hungover the next day and B) because you’ll be proud of yourself and that will make you feel stronger and more confident about this whole process.

If you don’t feel like you can hang with folks without drinking then find something else to do: spa, gym, pool, watch a movie in your room - anything will be better than breaking your sober spell, trust me!

3 Likes

Thank you :blush: I’ve already got books, music, movies to distract myself. Definitely hoping the hotel at least has a gym/pool, usually they do but who knows. Going to also see if there are hiking trails around. Feel free to recommend any other ideas to help keep busy.

2 Likes

Hiking has been a huge part of my last 6 months without alcohol. Being out in nature is so soothing and helps me see the bigger picture in a way that I was drunkenly blind to before. So on that note, I think it’s a fantastic idea!

2 Likes

Agreed, it helps me a lot at home, so why not while I’m away. hopefully there is and I can take some photos as well. :blush:

1 Like

I love it!!! I hope you find some good trails!

Hiking and photography are two of my biggest passions in life… :slight_smile:

1 Like

if you have to be around people drinking in a restaurant or bar area order club soda with lime itll help ive done that before

1 Like

Good to know I’ll keep that in mind, thank you :blush:

1 Like

If I do I’ll post some pictures :blush:

1 Like

Ooh, hope so!!

Bring books and your music ofcourse.

1 Like