Away for the week

Give yourself at least one try to be social without drinking, give yourself a time limit, an excuse and an escape plan. drive there if you’re heading out, there are plenty of excuses for not drinking if you are avoiding the truth - say it interferes with medication, or that you have trouble sleeping after drinking, that you’re allergic to sulphites or that you’re on some raw vegan liver cleanse :slight_smile: get somebody to call you when your time is up - say you need to go and help a friend. crack a joke, make them laugh and exit stage left- stay confident with your resolve and walk away with a spring in your step. You’ve got this! We are here too.

3 Likes

Thanks I appreciate it :blush:

Good luck! You got this!

Thanks for the support :blush:

Ppl have loaded you up with good advice so I’ll just add a ((hug)) and say I hope you have a really great time!!

2 Likes

Lmao a good laugh is always welcome so thank you for that, and yes I’ve definitely got a lot of great advice, very thankful to all :smile:

2 Likes

You can do this ! Just keep in mind why you want to be sober !! Stay strong :muscle: take breaks if temptation comes when socializing amongst others .

1 Like

Definitely :blush: always going to make sure I have an out if I do decide to go out with co-workers.

1 Like

I’ll give you my most recent technique for knowing when to split in a social setting where alcohol is present. It was a cool exercise for my brain, in that prior to the engagement I had to do some thinking. What I came up with (after filling a page in my journal, writing prospects) was a Safe Word :wink: that if uttered by anyone in my presence was my cue to shake hands and go. I won’t tell you mine, but I did become so attentive to what others were talking about that I was thoroughly entertained in a situation I didn’t know I’d feel comfortable in again.
Never heard the word. Left when I just felt tired. But, I ate so many damn gingersnaps that I still felt hungover from sugar the next morning. So, don’t over-compensate with sugar. :joy::wink:

1 Like

Lmao I’ve already noticed I’ve been eating a lot more sugary foods lately haha, I’ll give it a try, thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

So a quick update on how the first day has gone, in one word, busy, which I am greatful for :blush: started my day at 4am and just unpacking at the hotel now (6:15pm) staying in tonight and reading, claiming I am tired, even though I probably won’t fall asleep till 3am. In the past the first night away I would get black-out drunk and pass out, not this time, gonna stick it out no matter how tired I am in the morning. They also have a pool and gym here to keep me occupied :smile:

6 Likes

Would love to see pictures from your hike. It’s a fantastic pastime. Here’s a photo from a recent hike in the Lake District in England in my early sober days.

3 Likes

Just remember how good your going to feel tomorrow morning. your going to get so much shit done, while everyone else is going to be dragging ass! stay strong my man, u got this.

2 Likes

That’s incredible, I’ll definitely post pictures of my next hike.

Half way through the week, and been doing good. No hiking trails around here unfortunately. Tomorrow everyone is going out for dinner and then getting very drunk, all paid for by my boss. I’ve been stressing out about it and trying to go over every situation I can. I’m definitely going to find a way to leave after dinner and not go to the bar, still trying to find a way to say no to free alcohol at dinner.

4 Likes

Stick to a health kick line. You’re looking after yourself etc ahead of Xmas or something like that. Plan to use the gym in the morning or say you are planning to even if you don’t.

I know exactly what you are going through, lots of this type of stuff with my job. It gets easier trust me and soon they will accept you are a sober person and it won’t be an issue.

Don’t overthink it, just get your story straight, stick to it if asked and quickly move the conversation on. If there’s an issue with anyone remember it’s their issue and not yours. Just be polite and move the conversation on.

Stay strong you know you can do this.

2 Likes

And P.S you are doing an amazing job so far.

1 Like

Thanks I appreciate it, it’s good to know it gets easier with this kind of stuff.

I was devouring anything sweet the first few weeks after I quit drinking. Thank God, my sugar cravings have mostly passed. Still get a sweet tooth here and there but nothing like when I first quit.

1 Like

Haha, ya that’s definitely me lately, slowly getting control over it. I would rarely eat sweets and now I’ve been craving them xp my morning coffees have been helping a lot.

1 Like