The Power goes sober

I don’t think people are “liking” that you “failed”……assuming that is what you are meaning. The thing is that we alcoholics tend to dig in our heals and keep doing things that aren’t helpful just because they are afraid to try something new. You’ve learned that what you tried didn’t work and decided to try something new, maybe even some you really didn’t want to do initially. Believe me, we are “liking” that!!! It shows great courage and strength.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

5 Likes

I agree! We’ve had the discussion somewhere on the forum before, I just can’t remember where or when; but basically most of us use the “like” or “heart” button as a way of saying “we see you” and “we’re with you”. It doesn’t necessarily mean someone actually likes the situation you’re posting about. It could just mean “I’m thinking of you” or something similar.

If that makes sense….lol

7 Likes

9 Likes

To be fair, memes and @SassyRocks are pretty rad.

6 Likes

Hopefully you will move toward sobriety without the med?

As far as folks liking various posts, it is how I show that I read the post and I hear you. It isn’t necessarily that I ‘like’ the situation, but that I want you to know I acknowledge what you wrote.

I also hope you will keep this thread open, it is very informative and helpful for others to learn from our experiences.

Perhaps start a fresh thread to check in daily or just share how you are. Or join the check in thread that is going.

7 Likes

So what’s today bringing?

I don’t know if you’ve looked through this thread before but there are lots of different options out there. Just got to find the thing(s) that click for you :blush:

2 Likes

All you did was take a pill and post about it. Try putting the effort into sobriety that you put into training for marathons. You’ve been told by everyone on this forum that sobriety takes hard work. Maybe some day you’ll be willing to listen.

4 Likes

Hey Guys

Little Update, was very busy the last week and yeah, drank on the stress at saturday (13 Beers, no Blackout). Felt very shitty yesterday, today is a bit better.

Planning a start at the Paris Marathon (April 3 2022), so i would have good motivation to stay sober because its impossible to me to practice for this and drink. And the last time that worked, stayed sober for 94 days, even without medication.

Apropos medication, the doc @paper_boats and @Ray_M_C_Laren recommanded me naltrexone, so i will give this a try against the cravings. Because of the nervousness, i will extend my meditation and try lasea capsules (high quality lavender).

The doc gave me also some temesta against panic-attacks and nervousness and it worked really great (won all the games without losing a leg, played a 16-darter!), but these are benzos and that can’t be the idea. I dont plan to become benzo-addicted…:roll_eyes:

@SassyRocks
We can leave it open. Maybe just give it a new title, or do you think that will create confusion?

@Englishd
Wrong, i took pills, posted about in a foreign language while going through hell. Big difference, my dear friend. But i’m cool with you and when i have a look in other threads i see, that you like to provoke new members generally (the cocaine addict for example, two weeks ago…) Maybe you should train for a marathon too, so you wouldn’t have longer the time for doing this. This would really be a win-win-situation… Think about it…

Dont think Englishd is a runner lol , hes just a sober guy trying to help others at his own pace ,

3 Likes

Has your doctor recommended any therapy and/ or similar support (e.g. a recovery group like AA, SMART, Recovery Dharma) to help you deal with the underlying issues that are making you nervous and causing the cravings?

If not, I would highly recommend it. I think that is what most people are referring to when they talk about ‘doing the work’. It can be a long and difficult process but as you will know from your marathon training, you need to put in the time and effort to get the rewards! Managing cravings and having something positive to focus on are great in the short term, but most of us have found that sustaining this longer than a few months at a time requires something extra.

The marathon sounds like a brilliant thing to focus on though!

5 Likes

I don’t co-sign bullshit. So, again, taking a pill and then posting about it, regardless of the language, isn’t hard work. Which could be the reason you aren’t sober. You continually look for short cuts, rather than focusing on the mental aspect of sobriety. Hell you couldn’t even miss a dart game for a few weeks in order to work on yourself, then act shocked that you drank?!? Bro, you were playing darts in a pub. Of course you were going to end up drinking. I know you are here so you can get warm and fuzzy feedback from everyone, but that ain’t me. You want everyone to believe that you are doing everything possible when in reality you are doing as little as possible. It’s easy to accept defeat if you think you’ve done everything possible to win. It’s a lot harder to accept a loss when you know you could have done more.

4 Likes

I agree that just pills won’t be enough. You can always skip them. I tried a couple of kinds, and would either skip them or drink anyway.
I personally needed a daily sobrietry schedule in the early days. I started with Annie Grace’s alcohol experiment, which I did first thing in the morning. But any regular podcasts, meetings, etc, would be good.
I am rooting for you.

1 Like

Sorry to quote myself :laughing: but when I stopped drinking I was doing a lot of long distance walking and I found that gave me lots of time to really reflect on some stuff. I don’t know what type of meditation you do but I found walking helped me think through some of the lessons around acceptance, humility, impermanence, compassion (to self and others) and growth that have been fundamental to my sobriety so far.

2 Likes

No, but im doing a lot: I’m here to post my journey, listen to sobriety podcasts, going to the doc for talking about, doing sports. Therapy group? Heard about AA, but nah, i just don’t want to say this sentence…No way, never…

Thanks, um looking forward, even if it will be hard…

1 Like

3 Likes

Read my post again, i didn’t drank at the darts league…And sorry, i just cant abandon my team, i’m one of the best players and they need me.

About the rest, i better say nothing. Life is too short.

Is this funny? Do you think this is fair?

Edit buys a “you”

There are plenty other groups out there, online or in person. I am in southern Germany and we have at least one other outside AA. I attended group therapy through my psy for over a year which helped a lot.

2 Likes

A guy came to the meeting on Saturday at his ‘rock bottom’ but was reluctant to quit Golf as it’s the only thing that he has in his life

The place where most of his drinking took place was after playing Golf- what do you think people advised him to do? He still argued he needed to play Golf

You need to be willing to make changes and put your recovery above everything else otherwise you’ll fail.

I’ve enjoyed reading through this post as it reminds me of the insanity of the illness. Really hope you get there mate :pray: :blush:

5 Likes

Your health and happiness are more important than your darts team.

2 Likes