Bank holiday/long weekend plans

The long weekend is nearly here, the sun is shining (a bit anyway) and that means the pubs will be full. What are you doing instead?

I don’t have any firm plans but I will be spending time with my family, going for some long walks, doing some gardening if the weather stays dry enough, checking out a meditation session at the local Buddhist temple, volunteering at a soup kitchen. Might go for a meal or make something extra tasty. Got some housework and admin to do if the weather is bad but I’m hoping it won’t come to that :joy:

Whatever happens I will go back to work next week well rested and hangover free, no blackout gaps to try and fill, awkward conversations to undo, mystery injuries and with enough money in my bank account to see me through to payday!

9 Likes

Unfortunately it looks like work all weekend for me. Summer holidays coming, change of school, prom dress to buy, just keeps coming don’t it? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

I have no plans so far as I’m working today and tomorrow… but if the sun is shining Sunday or Monday I fancy ap stroll round London… go to a meeting and chill out at Hyde park x

4 Likes

I loved Hyde Park last week. I think I would actually go to London just to spend the day there it felt that nice!

2 Likes

I’m working Saturday, Sunday and Monday

But in between I’m going to the gym, dropping the girls at Grandmas, try and fit in a meeting

:grinning:

1 Like

Love Hyde park :blush:

1 Like

I was in London on Tuesday for work and walked back to the station, went up Pall Mall and that was lovely. So many good parks and green walks around London!

@anon12657779 @DarrenUK too much working! Hope you manage to carve out some little bits of down time too

There’s some great places in London I love going to … it’s only 40 min door to door from mine … Im gonna try some meetings when I go they r on every hour in London x

Yes so many people think London is just for shopping and drinking… i love being in London x

1 Like

Yeah I’ll only do short hours, so should be ok

1 Like

As I found out, the bus doesn’t cost much. Might just go for the day. It’ll be fun and relaxing.

Same for me, 40 minutes, I love going to London but couldn’t stand living there, I ran away to Hampshire! :blush:

Driving down to Devon tomorrow to spend a week at the seaside, fingers crossed for no rain :crossed_fingers: cloudy is fine because my son hates the beach anyway :joy::roll_eyes:

1 Like

My long weekend was last weekend. Funny…UK doesn’t celebrate Victoria Day? LOL

Anyway, I was just thinking this morning that I HAVE to get my vegetable garden started this weekend. I’ll need to go get some tomato plants and seeds. The seeds I have are pretty old now and I wonder if that might not be why my stuff didn’t grow the best last year.

3 Likes

Ha no we don’t have Victoria day! I don’t know why it’s a long weekend this weekend. We had another one at the start of the month (May day), don’t know if that makes a difference.

I am hoping to get an allotment soon. I have some tomatoes that I’m growing - I just planted a slice of tomato in a pot and then separated them out when they got big enough. I’ve been given some courgette plants. I have no gardening knowledge so it will be lots of learning as I go!

1 Like

Devon is lovely whatever the weather. My grandparents live near Lyme Regis, so I have done many rainy walks along the beach!

We always used to go to the donkey sanctuary when I was younger, loved it there.

1 Like

I grew squash one year and it was fantastic. I had so many. I was making stuffed zucchini, zucchini noodles, zucchini chips…it was GREAT. The very next year I got nothing. I would get blossoms but then no squash grew. Apparently I had squash bugs. Then I moved my garden box to a box in my backyard and I couldn’t even get the plant to grow. I wonder if it was because of different amounts of sun?? I don’t know.

Maybe I’ll try ONE MORE TIME!! Of course nobody in my house likes zucchini like I do.

I grow a lot of beans, peas, beets, tomatoes, kale, and swiss chard. I have grown carrots too but last year they didn’t grow at all. My beans and peas grew like mad but absolutely no fruit…lots of plant but no fruit. My tomatoes grew but the bunnies at them right before they fully ripened. I had to pick them green and let them ripen in my kitchen. SUCK. Kale and swish chard ALWAYS grow well.

Good luck.

Oh, I’m also a very freshman gardener. One thing I learned was that epsom salt in the soil around tomatoes is really good…it helps with the pH. But make sure it is only on the soil, not the plant. I would disolve it in water and pour it that way.

To keep away squirrels and bunnies, apparently, pepermint oil works. Mix some essential oil with water in a spray bottle and spray NEAR the plants. Again, don’t let it get onto or into the plants. I spray the wood of my garden box. (of course, the bunnies didn’t care last year…they ate everything…maybe it works better on squirrels)

Friends are coming up to visit from San Antonio. They have a house a 1/2 mile from here. We are having a party there tomorrow, which means a TON of Filipino food. I cannot wait! My friend is one of the best cooks EVER! And it’s a potluck, so all of her friends, who also cook, will bring all of the good things.

Of course, there will be much beer there, and for the last few days, I was thinking, “Hey, I can have a homebrew with my friend.” And now I think, Thai Beef Salad, Pancit and endless lumpia is a far better choice.

3 Likes

Glad to hear at least some of us are getting out into the beautiful world. I haven’t been on here much…my mom suffered a cardiac arrest and has been in the ICU for the last week. There’s virtually no chance for her to ever wake up…but my dad is not ready to let go. I’ll be spending the weekend at my moms bedside. Sober. Meditating. Letting her know I love her. So Sad…but very grateful that I have clarity, peace and sobriety to help me along in this. Thankful for everyone here❤️

5 Likes

So sorry to hear this, sending you love and strength for the weekend x

2 Likes